Author Topic: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.  (Read 16004 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
Clearly he wouldn't give the quoted statement unless he thought you actually DID move from position to position. And I've seen some supprising displays of ignorance regarding the vehicles and aircraft in AH. I've seen long time players say the panzer has an '88 and the tiger has a 105. I've heard the M8 referred to as "a wheeled tank destroyer armed with a 50mm cannon". I've even seen people think we have a Bearcat, and complain that we don't have a hellcat.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »
Clearly he wouldn't give the quoted statement unless he thought you actually DID move from position to position. And I've seen some supprising displays of ignorance regarding the vehicles and aircraft in AH. I've seen long time players say the panzer has an '88 and the tiger has a 105. I've heard the M8 referred to as "a wheeled tank destroyer armed with a 50mm cannon". I've even seen people think we have a Bearcat, and complain that we don't have a hellcat.

Heh... :)

Yes, I'm well aware that these tanks weren't crewed by a single person. :) My point was that even if the tank wasn't buttoned up, you'd have a commander in the cupola looking out and even if not, it would still be impossible for the gunner to aim and look out of the cupola at the same time. And as I said, in the end all this is irrelevant since certain game concessions have to be made due to the fact that most of the time tanks are operated by a single player.

I won't go into the philosophical question of if I, myself, am moving inside an empty virtual tank in the game called Aces High or am I simply taking "roles" of the individual crewmen. :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:16:22 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »
Heh... :)

Yes, I'm well aware that these tanks weren't crewed by a single person. :) My point was that even if the tank wasn't buttoned up, you'd have a commander in the cupola looking out and even if not, it would still be impossible for the gunner to aim and look out of the cupola at the same time. And as I said, in the end all this is irrelevant since certain game concessions have to be made due to the fact that most of the time tanks are operated by a single player.
With the above comment I would say that is about it on this thread.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
I never questioned your knowledge of our vehicles IRL. I was unaware that we had people aiming their main cannon while in the commanders cupola.  As far as I'm aware, you have to switch possitions to get a different view point. If you have a secret, please share.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
Always one isn't there. :D

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »
I never questioned your knowledge of our vehicles IRL. I was unaware that we had people aiming their main cannon while in the commanders cupola.  As far as I'm aware, you have to switch possitions to get a different view point. If you have a secret, please share.

Ehh...  :)

Nemesis, please read the last posts of mine again and I'm sure you understand what I meant. :) Granded, I'm not a native English speaker but I thought they were pretty clear. :)

Funny thread. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »

I won't go into the philosophical question of if I, myself, am moving inside an empty virtual tank in the game called Aces High or am I simply taking "roles" of the individual crewmen. :D

Do it and watch his little bitty head explode.  It would be really funny.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »
Do it and watch his little bitty head explode.  It would be really funny.

ack-ack

yes please do Wmaker... I would like to see his hamster wheel roll out of balance and go bang  :t

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
Well, I'm just going to go out on a very solid limb here and say that since I've already answered that question and have known the answer since the first week I hopped in a tank, my head is in no danger of exploding from reading him ponder the implications of either answer.

And W'maker, I'm not sure what you DO mean by this: "My point was that even if the tank wasn't buttoned up, you'd have a commander in the cupola looking out and even if not, it would still be impossible for the gunner to aim and look out of the cupola at the same time."

You can't be in both the commander's cupola and aiming the gun at the same time. Based on your post, I thought you were confused as to wether we have a little cartoon driver scrambling from position to position, or wether we simply jump into that crewman's body so we can control his actions. Tell me if I'm hitting any where in the ballpark with this.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
You can't be in both the commander's cupola and aiming the gun at the same time.

Heh. :)

My point was from the start that you can change positions a lot quicker by pressing couple keys compared to real life where you would have to crawl from the gunners position to the turret hatch to take a better look out side. In this game, the commander and the gunner is one and the same person while in the real tank they are two different persons. While the commader can give you general directional advice where the aircraft is flying, acquiring an aimed gun solution based on that kind of advice using the sight alone with very limited fov would be very difficult.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #250 on: August 04, 2010, 03:06:23 PM »
I don't believe they are one and the same. It seems that you are simply barowing the bodies of the tank's crew for a time. The tank is fully crewed, you just take over one crewmans body at a time, and can change which person you are controlling. Hence the lack of delay.  There isn't one person inside your tank crawling from the drivers seat to the commander's cupola.

Also, something I like to do is have a driver for my tank. My usual driver is Red (FYB), and has become quite proficent at saving my one and only precious, irreplacable ass  :D. So I may not understand the difficulties of solo crewing your tank.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #251 on: August 04, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Ok, I give up. You aren't going to get it.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #252 on: August 04, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
Nem the point is the same one I pointed out way back in the first 3 or 4 pages... in other words... in the real world (which this isnt obviously) the only way to direct the gun from the cupola is through verbal communication. Since the turret itself (and the cupola as well) move independently of the hull (they rotate) there is no universal bearing other than compass headings (which incidently we dont have in every position not that it matters). It would be virtually impossible to pull off a shot on an aircraft in reality (I dont care what the Russians have claimed).

In AH you move from one position to another instantly. As unrealistic as that is I dont believe anyone wants to change it.

It should be much harder in AH but it is what it is.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:50 PM »
Harder, hell, it would be nearly impossible. You wait 5 secs to goto the cupola to see whats shooting at you, 10 secs of looking, 5 secs to the driver to get face on with him so you don't get hit in the side, and then you get killed.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
Harder, hell, it would be nearly impossible. You wait 5 secs to goto the cupola to see whats shooting at you, 10 secs of looking, 5 secs to the driver to get face on with him so you don't get hit in the side, and then you get killed.
The other guy shooting at you would be doing the same thing as well. It would be a wash to some extent.