Author Topic: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.  (Read 15394 times)

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »
Just think if we had canister rounds.  PULL!

You give me canister and I'll give you 15 minutes in the woodshed with Grizz?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 10:32:05 AM »

Now that would be fun! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »
please watch this film I captured before continuing the discussion.

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/dueling_the_SB.ahf

that is all  :rofl
Reminded me of the time I shot down AAolds while he was in a set of Lancs & I nailed one of them with the shore batt 6.5k out. His responce was about the same.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
Reminded me of the time I shot down AAolds while he was in a set of Lancs & I nailed one of them with the shore batt 6.5k out. His responce was about the same.

Exactly! When a shore battery hits me I find it hilarious. It's easier in a tank perhaps so not as funny but still a good laugh I rekon.
So why change what is good for a laugh?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
I'll give you guys a tip for the shore battery.  At some bases the shore battery traverses to where it can cover the field, usually only covering one end of the runway.  If you find yourself at a heavily vulched shore base and all the manned guns and the VH are down jump in the shore batt.  If it traverses to the base find range on the runway just ahead of the spawn point and keep it aimed there.  Timing is everything but when you see someone dive in for the vulch let one rip and if you get lucky it will hit just as the vulcher is passing over.  Splash damage, BOOM, ZOMG H4X.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
I'll give you guys a tip for the shore battery.  At some bases the shore battery traverses to where it can cover the field, usually only covering one end of the runway.  If you find yourself at a heavily vulched shore base and all the manned guns and the VH are down jump in the shore batt.  If it traverses to the base find range on the runway just ahead of the spawn point and keep it aimed there.  Timing is everything but when you see someone dive in for the vulch let one rip and if you get lucky it will hit just as the vulcher is passing over.  Splash damage, BOOM, ZOMG H4X.
Done that before. :D

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »

Exactly! When a shore battery hits me I find it hilarious. It's easier in a tank perhaps so not as funny but still a good laugh I rekon.
So why change what is good for a laugh?
I see your point I just like how HTC has tried to keep their product as true to it possibly was in real life. This part of the game seems to me just a tad off that's all.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
I've shot down planes in my tank more times than I can count.

I think that it is the funniest damned thing that one can do in this game.  I'm surprised that out of all the things mentioned: skill, modeling, zoom, etc that the one other BIG factor that is involved here.   Some have way more of it than others.  It's the same thing that pays me 30:1 on a snake-eyes or boxcars bet (the odds of each, actually being 35:1)

Those of you that get killed in your plane by a tank need to keep your sorry tulips from shooting at my table, or at least wear a sign   :devil

(sorry, weekend is coming and I have Atlantic City on the mind)    :rock
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
Show me one instance of a tank shooting down an aircraft at speed with it's main gun during WWII while in flight. No I would not make HTC do anything I only posted a wish on the wish list forum.

Since gv icons don't show up until you are just about on them. There is not much chance of avoiding them when you don't even know they are about & then POW dead from a tank round fired from 2-4k away nailed you in one shot.

Never happened, but clearly it could have been done had people flown/driven in the manner that we do, and given a little luck or tremendous ammounts of skill.

Sir, if we had infintry, I would be asking for canister. But since we rarely have hoards of infintry rushing you with molotov coctails, I figure the normally useless hull gun or coaxil machine gun will do.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Show me one instance of a tank shooting down an aircraft at speed with it's main gun during WWII while in flight.

Just because they didn't do it ... doesn't mean that it couldn't be done.

Better yet, you prove that a tank shell could not take down an aircraft in flight.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »
Never happened, but clearly it could have been done had people flown/driven in the manner that we do, and given a little luck or tremendous ammounts of skill.

How do you know it never happened?  

When Rudel was shot down by a Soviet Lend-Lease Sherman, he described how the Shermans were firing their main gun and machine guns at the low flying attacking Stukas.  Fortunately for Rudel, it was only the machine gun on a Sherman that downed his plane.  Not sure if any of the Soviets hit any of the Stukas with their main gun but at least in that engagement, they tried.  It was this incident that caused Rudel to hate attacking Shermans because they were better able to defend themselves from air attack then the T-34, despite the fact the Sherman was easier to knock out.

I'm sure there are other examples as well of tankers on all sides occasionally taking a shot at a low flying plane that was trying to kill them.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
I think alot of people forget this is a game and pilots do things in here that were never done or rarely done during the war. Just because a tank never had a recorded kill (that we know of) of an aircraft doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Think about it, we have ships that use 5" guns that shoot down aircraft all the time. True they're using flak ammo but they still have to get the shot CLOSE to the aircraft. If a ships cannon can hit an aircraft then I surely think a tank would have a chance.

The Sherman has a fast turret and a fast rate of fire, plus it has a pretty flat trajectory out to about 1.5-2k. We have guys that get 1000's of chances per week to practice with that main gun so it's not unfeasible that folks have learned how to lead with the gun. I'll bet if our WWII tank crews had that chance you might have seen more kills by tank guns.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
Just because they didn't do it ... doesn't mean that it couldn't be done.

Better yet, you prove that a tank shell could not take down an aircraft in flight.
OK I will play  :devil's advocate. I say it never happened because I can't find anything saying that it did. Ball is back in your court now go prove that it did. :neener:

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »
OK I will play  :devil's advocate. I say it never happened because I can't find anything saying that it did. Ball is back in your court now go prove that it did. :neener:

He said that it's possible, not necessarily that it was done.   In the simplest terms, a tank shell travels through the air, an airplane travels through the air, if the two cross paths it probably won't end well for the plane.  There are many other reasons it didn't happen though.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »

*steals the ball mid court and stabs it*

Well lets throw this baseball out onto the court. We have the B25H which wasn't really used against tanks during WW2, however, it is used with great success vs tanks in AH. Just because the B25H wasn't designed to attack tanks, it's gun is very effective at killing them when proper tactics are used. Should we nerf the B25's 75mm so it cannot damage tanks because it wasn't used that way?
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF