Author Topic: TrackIR for less... A LOT less!  (Read 1035 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: TrackIR for less... A LOT less!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
I want to reorder my 327th hat  :pray.

semp

I'm an original member of the 327th, to be honest it's far enough back I don't remember all the details. We (Stick, Yes, myself, Laghead, J<11 and others) were members of an Aland squad and there was a Pac squad (not affiliated). Both had shake ups at the same time and out of the mess the 327th was born.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »
After Tin returned my TrackIr it had some weird sticky stuff all over it................
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
How well does a 1 point tracking cap work? I've no knowledge of wiring and the like, so I may just resort to duct taping mini flashlights to hats.As I understand it, if I were to use LED's rather than IR LED's that I would not have to remove the filter on my webcam, correct?
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »
How well does a 1 point tracking cap work? I've no knowledge of wiring and the like, so I may just resort to duct taping mini flashlights to hats.As I understand it, if I were to use LED's rather than IR LED's that I would not have to remove the filter on my webcam, correct?

If you're willing to spend a little bit of money, you might go with what I did:  I use Freetrack, in conjunction with a Naturalpoint LED Pro Clip (IR LEDs).  I removed the IR filter from an MS VX6000 camera (literally 2 minutes work), and bought the Pro Clip from a Naturalpoint reseller for $35.  It cost a few more dollars than had I made the clip or a reflector rig, but it was so easy as to be child's play.  I got the Pro Clip in 2 days, plugged it in to my USB hub, and it works fine.  The reason you might want to spend the extra bit for the Pro Clip is that, beyond the saving you the time and trouble of making a clip, the Pro Clip is USB powered, it's well made and works with FreeTrack out of the box.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »
If you're willing to spend a little bit of money, you might go with what I did:  I use Freetrack, in conjunction with a Naturalpoint LED Pro Clip (IR LEDs).  I removed the IR filter from an MS VX6000 camera (literally 2 minutes work), and bought the Pro Clip from a Naturalpoint reseller for $35.  It cost a few more dollars than had I made the clip or a reflector rig, but it was so easy as to be child's play.  I got the Pro Clip in 2 days, plugged it in to my USB hub, and it works fine.  The reason you might want to spend the extra bit for the Pro Clip is that, beyond the saving you the time and trouble of making a clip, the Pro Clip is USB powered, it's well made and works with FreeTrack out of the box.

FWIW,

Hm. This sounds like a good idea. What store/website did you purchase the clip from?
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
Hm. This sounds like a good idea. What store/website did you purchase the clip from?

It was from Gogamer.com (http://www.gogamer.com)

This was about a year and a half ago, so prices might have varied since then: $34.90 plus tax and $3 for 2-day shipping. 

Good luck,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein