Author Topic: Skuzzy! What happened?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Skuzzy! What happened?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 06:58:36 AM »
Ghastly, yes, the bandwidth of the connection can be saturated, but only if the router does not have the proper control for bandwidth sharing, which most (if not all) consumer grade routers do not have.

Aces High requires very little bandwidth and if a router could be configured properly for bandwidth sharing, a P2P download over a 512Kb/s connection would still allow the game to play just fine over the Internet.

I do not know of any consumer grade routers which have that as an option, and if they do, do they have a user interface which anyone could understand in order to program it up.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Skuzzy! What happened?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:24 AM »
Ghastly, yes, the bandwidth of the connection can be saturated, but only if the router does not have the proper control for bandwidth sharing, which most (if not all) consumer grade routers do not have.

Aces High requires very little bandwidth and if a router could be configured properly for bandwidth sharing, a P2P download over a 512Kb/s connection would still allow the game to play just fine over the Internet.

I do not know of any consumer grade routers which have that as an option, and if they do, do they have a user interface which anyone could understand in order to program it up.

Absolutely agreed.  I just didn't want him to think that a better router was going to "automatically" fix the issue.  It's the bandwidth sharing features that will make the difference, and they have to be configured properly.

And because the Netgear is one of the consumer grade routers (or at least, I assume it's considered non-commercial, I do) that does have it, I wanted to specifically mention that my experience with it was less than stellar so he doesn't "find" that one as a solution. 

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue