Author Topic: How to clean pots on a CH Jane's CombatStick?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
How to clean pots on a CH Jane's CombatStick?
« on: March 18, 2001, 09:23:00 PM »
Anyone have a link describing how to do the above?

Thanks in advance.

<S>

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2001, 09:12:00 PM »
There should be 4 gold clips that hold the large round gold cover to the rest of the assembly. They are part of the large round gold colored piece. If you bend these back slightly using a flat head screw driver, then you can remove the circuit board and the part that swivels by simply pulled them off. The part that swivels (the large metal rod with a round black plastic piece on it) has these metal depressors(?) on it that push on these black pads on the circuit board. If you wipe these depressors clean, you should get better control. If you have NO idea what I am talking about, I just took one apart and can snap pictures using a quick cam(low quality, but you can get the general idea).
-SW

RoadfRash

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
CH sells new pots fairly cheap, you'd be better of going that route if ya can, once you start cleaning the pots and depending how you clean them and with what their life expectancy drops real quick, a new pot is always the best solution!

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2001, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I solved my problem by ordering a new CH USB CombatStick 565F, which is the USB equivalent to my old Janes CombatStick.

I'm worth it, right?  

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
I dunno banana.. I had nothing but bad luck with CH sticks. I bought myself the Saitek combo and have had one problem with the rudder, which I fixed using a little ingenuity. So the question is: Is the stick worth you? :-)
-SW

RoadfRash

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2001, 01:29:00 AM »
banana I have exactly the same stick, I did have a problem with the x-axis pot, sent it back to CH they replace the problem part free of charge and will do this for 3 years unless its found to be neglegence, enjoy and I hope you like it  

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Heh SeaWulfe, while I haven't tried the Saitek USB rig, I did purchase one of the first X36 combo rigs about three years ago. It was so promising, yet the programming software was so buggy, that I got frustrated with it and chopped it up into tiny little bits.

Well, ok, I didn't really chop it up into tiny little bits. I gave it away to some suc...erm, needly person.  

I've been a CH Products man ever since. My current CH Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals and Janes CombatStick HOTAS setup has never failed me once in the last three years. Just now, though, the X axis on my Janes is starting to go away. Time to upgrade!  

RoadRash(LOL, love the callsign!) You have the USB 565F CombatStick? It's the beefier version of the regular CombatStick. How you like it?

RoadfRash

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2001, 02:24:00 AM »
The 565f has a heftyer base and stronger springs, so far its been the best stick I've had and CH support can't be beat, want to hook up with the USB Pro Pedals and the USB Pro Throttle but their still working on the software, guess the throttle is gonna go for about $150 bucks, but all USB should be real nice,but the 8 position hat of the Fiter stick is very tempting :^)