Author Topic: New Computer By TD  (Read 990 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Computer By TD
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
Meh..... I don't agree with you on this one Ink.  I'm sure I could build a machine for less than what I'd get charged to have one built but the time I'd have to invest on learning all the i dotting and t crossing as opposed to paying someone who knows what they're doing and stand behind their work has value in and of itself.

When I design a new structure you're a paying me for the  5 to 50 minutes it takes me to design it and you're paying me for the time I spent learning how to apply the forces, knowing the governing codes, the fact that I can argue with a board about the proper codes relevance, and my liability if I don't do the job well.  Same thing in your world.  If I were to get a tat, and frankly from what I know about you you'd be the only person on the face of this planet I'd allow to perform the work, I'm paying you for the product and all of the time you put in mastering your craft. 

Of course that's just my opinion.   :salute
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 06:31:27 PM »
Pricing on tats can vary depending on location and skill of the artist.  It really is just about the same thing, it's just that TD is using the best "ink" available, using the most reliable - therefore expensive - tools, and doing it exactly, or better than, the customer is expecting.  

I know how much he makes per build, give or take a few bucks.  I charge my customers more than he does.

After care with Rich is a LOT more than a band-aid, or gauze wrap, and a "thanks for your $49.95, see ya next month when you check comes it"

Can a system be built to run AH for 400, sure.  Can it last a few years, sure.  If any part of that system dies after a year, will you get a free replacement part?  Probably not.  Will it run any real graphic intense games, prolly not.

I have built systems for years and, just for the curiosity and convenience of it, had TD build my last one.  I ended up, due to manufactures not being able to fill the order, with upgraded RAM, an upgraded Video Card, and then he through in a few goodies for my existing comp at no extra charge.  Total freebies was close to 300 bucks.  Then he walked me through properly OC'ing my old comp.

Sometimes you just get what you pay for, that's all.

:cheers:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
Meh..... I don't agree with you on this one Ink.  I'm sure I could build a machine for less than what I'd get charged to have one built but the time I'd have to invest on learning all the i dotting and t crossing as opposed to paying someone who knows what they're doing and stand behind their work has value in and of itself.

When I design a new structure you're a paying me for the  5 to 50 minutes it takes me to design it and you're paying me for the time I spent learning how to apply the forces, knowing the governing codes, the fact that I can argue with a board about the proper codes relevance, and my liability if I don't do the job well.  Same thing in your world.  If I were to get a tat, and frankly from what I know about you you'd be the only person on the face of this planet I'd allow to perform the work, I'm paying you for the product and all of the time you put in mastering your craft. 

Of course that's just my opinion.   :salute

I bought a system 6 years ago to play AH I paid $1,600 for it....I was thoroughly ripped off and screwed hard core on that system, why? I knew nothing about computers at the time, and saw a sic 300 gig gaming rig, ya it is very pretty but all the parts were obsolete, it had an AGP graphics card....$1,600 piece of good looking crap,
so I read every thing I could about comps, and swore I would never get ripped off again, to bad EVERY part that is made is made to fail after so many hours of use, do they all fail no, but the fact remains the same, the technology we get today is already ten years old and junk.

so I just took the tower, and went to tiger direct and for $380 ( roughly) I bought all new internals a duel core cpu and new Motherboard, graphics card, memory, it is great, way better then the original system, plus I got the knowledge  that I built that system.

but my point which I am not very good at getting across, is not with TillDeath, I know he does great work too many people have said so, and I see his pics, they are great. I never knocked him personally down, nor is work,  my point is yes he uses the "new" and top of the line stuff, but thats just it, they are already obsolete and way over priced, obviously not his fault, thats the way of this world.

and thank you for your complement on my work.

Pricing on tats can vary depending on location and skill of the artist.  It really is just about the same thing, it's just that TD is using the best "ink" available, using the most reliable - therefore expensive - tools, and doing it exactly, or better than, the customer is expecting. 

I know how much he makes per build, give or take a few bucks.  I charge my customers more than he does.

After care with Rich is a LOT more than a band-aid, or gauze wrap, and a "thanks for your $49.95, see ya next month when you check comes it"

Can a system be built to run AH for 400, sure.  Can it last a few years, sure.  If any part of that system dies after a year, will you get a free replacement part?  Probably not.  Will it run any real graphic intense games, prolly not.

I have built systems for years and, just for the curiosity and convenience of it, had TD build my last one.  I ended up, due to manufactures not being able to fill the order, with upgraded RAM, an upgraded Video Card, and then he through in a few goodies for my existing comp at no extra charge.  Total freebies was close to 300 bucks.  Then he walked me through properly OC'ing my old comp.

Sometimes you just get what you pay for, that's all.

:cheers:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2900 MHz
         TA770 A2+ SE (A78BAB11 BS)

Physical Memory                                     (dont remember brand name of memory)
                                Total   3327 MB
                                    Used   378 MB
                                 Free   2949 MB
                                 Utilization   11
       %Video Adapter Properties   
          Device Description   ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
          Adapter String   ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Chip Type   ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x944C)
             DAC Type   Internal DAC(400MHz)
               Installed Drivers   ati2dvag (6.14.10.7093)
             Memory Size   1024 MB

Drive
Drive #1 - WDC WD360GD-00FLC0 (34 GB)  this is a 10,000 rpm raptor this is were I have AH installed, nothing else, every thing else gets installed on this drive

Drive #2 - WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 (298 GB)

this system cranks on AH the only thing I don't turn on is shadows on others.

I play crysis, settings maxed out, plays very good, fallout3 plays perfectly, Bad company 2 plays awesomely, so far every game I have thrown at it, I have had no issues,

Crysis is one of the most insanely intense graphics wise game you can get, smooth play  :aok

AGAIN I did not to intend that TillDeath's system were less then awesome or that he is a rip off.

in no way shape or form did I. I regret that some took it that way :(

I just hate the way major companies rip us off and screw us.

legally

Offline Atticus4

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 07:25:50 AM »
Well Rich apparently my little compliment and thank you thread has grown. 

Quality, cost, convenience all played a factor in my decision.  I've now had the chance to play for about 3 hours and believe that my hard earned money was well spent.  Sometimes you do get what you pay for and I believe I did.   :aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »
Well Rich apparently my little compliment and thank you thread has grown. 

Quality, cost, convenience all played a factor in my decision.  I've now had the chance to play for about 3 hours and believe that my hard earned money was well spent.  Sometimes you do get what you pay for and I believe I did.   :aok

You did.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »
Are you kidding me?!?!  Oh no.. that's so unamerican it's not even funny!  How DARE you pay a fair price and how DARE you let someone make money off of you!  You should have built it yourself, but not until you negotiate prices so low on the parts that the manufacturers have to sell them at cost to you... and you're also supposed to make them eat the shipping as well!  Because we all know these large companies are just trying to take advantage of you and your money!  STICK IT TO 'EM!!!  God FORBID they charge you any money for labor!  And OH NO they aren't allowed to lay off any employees either because they would just throw us in a recession!  They should be bowing down to us on their knees, BEGGING us to buy their products at a loss because no company should be allowed to make money off of anyone!!!

OK enough of that I think I got my point across!  Things like this really are that simple.  If you're happy with the price and Rich is happy with the price, and you're both happy with the outcome of the product... then it was a great deal!  Plain and simple.  Could it have been done cheaper?  Yeah sure... but it wouldn't have been as convenient... and should something go wrong you'd be on your own.

Even with all the experience I have in this department, I wouldn't bat an eye to buy one from Rich.. but the reason I don't is because I actually enjoy building and tweaking these.  I've built a lot for family and friends and never made a penny in the process.  I almost *beg* for a piece of hardware to fail so I've got an excuse to crack it open again HAHA... but not everyone shares this enthusiasm... which is where Rich comes in...