Author Topic: Tracking Targets  (Read 1130 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Tracking Targets
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 03:43:36 PM »
One of the few times I use the look down feature is when flying in formation and I dont want to tip my wings to look around and fall out of formation.

It takes some time to adjust the views to get to optimum out of them but it's worth it for the added SA you can gain from them.

:salute

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
Muzzy,

There is a free alternative to trackit!

http://www.free-track.net/english/
mobilis in mobile

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
Buy trakir read somewhere else freetrak hasn't been updated in a couple of years.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »
The first step is to make sure you have the 17 views required to track a bandit in combat. I have learned over the years that many people do not map all 17. Many more do not have them map in a fashion that makes views changes easy.

Here is a link to my write up on the subject.

https://home.comcast.net/~micelihouston/lessons/Stage1lessons/lesson1views.htm

The first drill I always recommend is 1 v 1 dueling without shooting. When the fight deteriorates to a low level flat fight separate and go again.

An excellent drill if you can't find a dueling partner is loops through a hangar while keeping the hangar in sight. It is described on the above web page and there is a film showing its execution. However, the film predates the new field layout and the hangar is no longer there. Guess I need to make a replacement film.

The loops through the hangar drill builds several skills at once. View usage, view transition and fine aircraft control while looking other than forward. It is a great drill for any pilot have trouble looking backwards or up while flying a precision path.