Author Topic: Drop Tank question  (Read 497 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Drop Tank question
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
For years I have when entering a fight from a B&Z perspective held on to my drop tank as long as there is fuel in it. My reasoning being that the mass of the fuel helps with the zoom part of the B&Z. If the fight becomes more of a maneuvering fight I punch it off.

My question is; am I gaining any benefit holding on to the DT, or would I be better off punching it off the minute I engage?

F4U's, P-38's, and 109's are the planes I fly the most.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Drop Tank question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

I used to hang onto my DTs for as long as possible. Usually because Raptor was trying to keep his on longer.  :lol

I generally throw them off before engaging. While the weight would seem to help you in some cases, the drag will usually negate that advantage. More so if the tanks are only partially full.

The 38 has long legs so fuel is usually not a big issue.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
drrrraaaaaaagggggg. May as well tie a couple of boar hogs on your plane, regardless of which one you're flying.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »
i fly the 38j nearly exclusively. i keep my tanks in all but a knock down drag out turn fight.

there's been a couple of times that i kinda sorta forgot i still had em, and was wondering why i couldn't make her turn like normal......then when i watched the film, i saw the tanks still hanging underneath.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
Depends on plane & tactic.

In a Spit I will keep it on even when dogfighting, unless I'm really getting into trouble and need every ounce of performance, the slipper tank doesn't hurt that much anyway. Similar in a I-16 which has such a lousy range that I need every gallon of fuel.

When BnZ or doing some shallow E fighting in planes like Ta 152 or P 51, I generally keep it on as long as possible, but are more quicker to drop it than in Spits.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »
Like gyrene said, DRAG and the negative effect of trying to accelerate when desired.  My "technique only" is to launch with minimum fuel  and a drop tank(s).  The drop tank fuel provides the juice to climb and cruise to the engagement.  When it's obvious and engagement is about to happen, the tanks get blown off.  Then I'm at light weight with more energy potential available.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
All you have to remember is that for an aircraft in equilibrium thrust = drag and lift = weight. With the extra drag and extra weight of drop tanks your zoom has to be even more shallow in order to maintain any type of energy. In other words you lose energy much more quickly.

And about your thinking the mass is helping... no its killing you vertical moves. Just remember how load factor compares to radial acceleration in a loop and you can see very quickly tanks are for cruising and not fighting or maneuvering.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »
Dropping the tank or tanks before engaging was S.O.P. from what I've seen on films,and what I've read.I usually forget their still on in my senility,so I end up using the primary weapon w/o any cannons,and wonder why I can't kill anything after lucking in a few hits!
Dobe

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »
For years I have when entering a fight from a B&Z perspective held on to my drop tank as long as there is fuel in it. My reasoning being that the mass of the fuel helps with the zoom part of the B&Z. If the fight becomes more of a maneuvering fight I punch it off.

My question is; am I gaining any benefit holding on to the DT, or would I be better off punching it off the minute I engage?

F4U's, P-38's, and 109's are the planes I fly the most.

Drop 'em as soon as you know you're going to engage a bandit.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
I don't think there's any performance advantage in hanging on to them.  I tend to try and leave them on as long as possible in the 38G just because I tend to go a little lean on the internal fuel so it's a matter of flight endurance in my case (G carries less internal fuel than the J/L). 

So I may leave them on if I get bounced by a high con near my field and there are friendlies around or if I think he may be the one pass, haul .... type, but if he/she sticks around I'll lose them pretty quick, or if I see a co-alt con I'm pretty quick to drop them because it makes a huge difference in maneuverability.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.