Author Topic: Firewall Software  (Read 577 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Firewall Software
« on: June 02, 2001, 10:33:00 PM »
A lot of kids are getting out of school in the next few weeks, and unfortunately some of them will probably be trying to develop their hacking skills on your computer.

You MAY consider installing a personal firewall to protect yourself.  I've liked Zonealarm, mainly because it is free.    It'
s available at www.zonelabs.com  .  Basically this program only allows programs you specifically click "yes" on, to access the internet.  (Note:  You may need to turn the firewall off before playing AH.)

I'd like to know what programs the rest of you recommend?  (Skuzzy's input would be great here.   )

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Firewall Software
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2001, 11:07:00 PM »
Only issues I've seen with Zonealarm are:  Can be a squeak to setup with AH the first time, however someone posted in another thread an easy method.
It can cause frame rate stutter on 3dfx cards.
Not seen this prob on current nVidia cards.

I have only had other game issues with ZA and Papyrus racing sims.  GPL and Nascar4 won't work online with ZA running.  All the other games I've tried online, Quake3, UT, counterstrike all worked fine thru ZA.

Otheriwse its great +)

Salvo

[This message has been edited by SKurj (edited 06-02-2001).]

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Firewall Software
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2001, 11:17:00 PM »
ZoneAlarm: Dont get anything else.

Tested and proven, including by myself.

I installed a few common and powerful trojan and "bot" software on my computer.

Set my machine with ZA and asked about 5 hacker (GOOD hackers not the toejamty l33t hax0r types, I'm talkin about people who work security for companies) and they just couldnt get thru.

After I shut down ZA, they could manipulate my computer at ease.

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
Firewall Software
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2001, 11:27:00 PM »
I've been using ZA for a while now also, and have no problems with it at all.

When first starting AH after a new update, just hit "y" for yes when the "access the internet?" prompt comes up for ZoneAlarm. When you're done flying and dieing for the night, close AH....open ZA control center and set "allow AH access to the internet"

It should now boot-up no problem.   heh

------------------
griz

[This message has been edited by grizz (edited 06-02-2001).]