Author Topic: Car Problems  (Read 650 times)

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
Re: Car Problems
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Of course now that I post a thread about its problem the car has started fine 6 times today.  :rolleyes:
soooooooooo now i'm just waaiting for it to mess up again so i can try some of things that have been pointed out..
Thats the thing about it though. Its so random i never know if its gonna start or not.
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »
does it only happen if the car has been sitting for a long period of time, like over night, or when you come out of work ?

Prehaps Water in the gas tank???  or rust in the gas tank floting, settle, get picked up by the sump.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
No it seems to be completely random. Temperature, time between driving it, time of the day, nothing seems make it worse or make it better.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
No it seems to be completely random. Temperature, time between driving it, time of the day, nothing seems make it worse or make it better.

that's more and more sounding like a relay
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »

Is there any way I could check that here at my house without having to hook it up to one of them computers?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
Is there any way I could check that here at my house without having to hook it up to one of them computers?

yea. the relays flotsam mentioned are in the underhood junction box. the ones i'm thinking of should be under the dash, either near the center console, or near the hood release.....but up higher to hide them. sometimes just a tap on them will make them work, almost like an old turnsignal flasher.

if you can't find them, try to note conditions when it next doesn't start......like temp, humidity, if it's been sitting all night, etc.

most things aren't intermittant. fuel pumps rarely go intermittant. same with ignition coils, and/or crank or cam sensors. relays, however, still seem to do this.

if it acts up again, keep feeding us information......we'll get it figured out for ya.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »

or something that hasn't even been mentioned and is the simplest to check:  Ground wire is jacked up
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
or something that hasn't even been mentioned and is the simplest to check:  Ground wire is jacked up

the only thing that kept me from that, was that it doesn't die while he's driving.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
I had the same problem, Killer - it was the key.

I guess these new-fangled keys have a sensor which communicates with some thingamajig in the part you put the key into.

When the thing in my key was running out (or whatever), it did the same random thing you're talking about.

That sounded much clearer in my head.

My mum had a '01 accord that had a fit due to the security key thing, she had some unofficial duplicates made.  Difference in issues though that makes me suspect it might not be your issue though: 1) the engine wouldn't start or turn over and 2) the ignition won't release the key (4-stage ignition, wouldn't let you access the first-stage key-insertion stage after you put the bad key in and turned it beyong the first-stage).  A quick way to check this is to figure out what the bad key is and use it (or in my mom's case, a quick fix to get it working enough to avoid a tow and get it to the dealer to properly fix): when you encounter a problem requiring a proper-working radio-transmiter code then hold the plastic part of the good key right next to the ignition while attempting to use the funky key.

yea. the relays flotsam mentioned are in the underhood junction box. the ones i'm thinking of should be under the dash, either near the center console, or near the hood release.....but up higher to hide them.

Honda it's closer to the hood release, left of the wheel, typicaly a/the removable pannel just below the change-holder below the vent.  Your old turnsignal flasher reference has me thinking of the little box tucked up behind the center console that makes the only anoying thing with my honda, the open-door key-in-ignition beeping/tone.  And it might be the ground, but it'd be easier than eating cake to check if it's a contender or not (corroded or damaged), honda grounds are right up top under the hood, typicaly somewhere ontop of the radiator or ontop one of the wheel wells.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:35:02 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »
yea. the relays flotsam mentioned are in the underhood junction box. the ones i'm thinking of should be under the dash, either near the center console, or near the hood release.....but up higher to hide them. sometimes just a tap on them will make them work, almost like an old turnsignal flasher.

if you can't find them, try to note conditions when it next doesn't start......like temp, humidity, if it's been sitting all night, etc.

most things aren't intermittant. fuel pumps rarely go intermittant. same with ignition coils, and/or crank or cam sensors. relays, however, still seem to do this.

if it acts up again, keep feeding us information......we'll get it figured out for ya.  :aok

ok I'll go look for them and look at them. also i've drove it twice today and started it 8 times without a single problem  :headscratch:

When it acts up again i'll note conditions. and then i'm gonna listen for the fuel pump and if i hear it I'll try the other key i have.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »
My mum had a '01 accord that had a fit due to the security key thing, she had some unofficial duplicates made.  Difference in issues though that makes me suspect it might not be your issue though: 1) the engine wouldn't start or turn over and 2) the ignition won't release the key (4-stage ignition, wouldn't let you access the first-stage key-insertion stage after you put the bad key in and turned it beyong the first-stage).  A quick way to check this is to figure out what the bad key is and use it (or in my mom's case, a quick fix to get it working enough to avoid a tow and get it to the dealer to properly fix): when you encounter a problem requiring a proper-working radio-transmiter code then hold the plastic part of the good key right next to the ignition while attempting to use the funky key.

Honda it's closer to the hood release, left of the wheel, typicaly a/the removable pannel just below the change-holder below the vent.  Your old turnsignal flasher reference has me thinking of the little box tucked up behind the center console that makes the only anoying thing with my honda, the open-door key-in-ignition beeping/tone.  And it might be the ground, but it'd be easier than eating cake to check if it's a contender or not (corroded or damaged), honda grounds are right up top under the hood, typicaly somewhere ontop of the radiator or ontop one of the wheel wells.
there's some grounds on the thermostat housing too, along with one on the valve cover.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:12 PM »
KGB, as far as I know there is no way to retrieve trouble codes on these Honda's without a scan tool.  I know some Fords and Chrysler products can but not the Honda.

I'm banking on the main relay as well.  Next time it won't start, try kicking your foot up around the area of the relay and see if it starts.  It is extremely common for these to fail on Honda vehicles, and they usually do so when it is hot outside, especially if the car is sitting out in the sun.

THIS and THIS will show you the location (basically under the dash right by the steering column).

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
KGB, as far as I know there is no way to retrieve trouble codes on these Honda's without a scan tool.  I know some Fords and Chrysler products can but not the Honda.

I'm banking on the main relay as well.  Next time it won't start, try kicking your foot up around the area of the relay and see if it starts.  It is extremely common for these to fail on Honda vehicles, and they usually do so when it is hot outside, especially if the car is sitting out in the sun.

THIS and THIS will show you the location (basically under the dash right by the steering column).

Indeed it does sit in the sun. And it's been quite hot here this summer. Now that i know where it is and what it looks like I'll be sure and rattle it next time it won't start.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

i was thinking that.......i haven't been able to pull codes out of any OBD2 car without one of my scanners
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 09:22:03 AM »
kinda funny thing here. i have a 93 acura legend out in the shop. basically a honda. came in for a no start/no crank. bad starter. put it in, fire the engine up, perfectly. button everything up, take it down off the lift, crank........no start. WTF??   i punched the dash right at the hood release(that's where the main relay is on these) and she fired right up. it's raining too BTW.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"