Author Topic: The Way the Game Was??  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: The Way the Game Was??
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
IMHO the game has consistently gotten better over time.

What surprises me is how many of those that whine don't play in events such as scenario's or FSO (which are the icing on the cake in AH).

No one told me about the icing. I've been eating my AH cake without icing all these years  :cry

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »

The community was smaller and there was more "love in the air".

Oh how I miss those old multi-"manned" buff missions.

:noid
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:37:57 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline empire2

• Copper Member
      • http://www.marineairwingah.homestead.com/HomePage.html
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »
IM SO HAPPY I SAW THIS THREAD

This is my first post in some time, and when I say "some time" I mean around 2-3 years. I read the first page of this thread and I am ready to reply. I would like to start with this reply posted by the OP of this thread.

I played this game SOLID for 6-7 years, I started when we were still dwarfed in skill by the players who frequented Air Warrior before the switch.

I was here when all the planes you are flying now were installed, I played 1.0 and was here for 2.0 and I shat my pants when it happened too.

I flew with the 3rd Marine Air Wing, who at the time was one of the largest, most skillful and strategic squads in the game.
Im not sure how the boys are doing now as I am no longer in their forum group but flying as MAW was the most fun I have ever had in a combat sim.

"For anyone who hasn't been playing this game for at least 7 years you just wouldn't understand.

I know, ya'll say I look at this game through a fogged memory, but it has changed a lot since the old days. Back then you could have an uneven numbered situation like 5 on 2, and 2 or 3 of the 5 would just circle and watch the fight and only join in if one of his teammates got shot down.

"Bingo" meant I'm out and the enemy gave you a salute and told you head see ya when you can back, instead of chasing you down with 12 of his closest friends just so one of you could have the kill.

You would spend hours fighting the same 10 guys over and over a gain and nobody would be PMing or swearing over 200. Even the good natured "ribbing" was done with a bunch of laughs.

The only frustration in the game was when you had to make a run to the bathroom because you just couldn't hold it any longer.

It is much harder to find a good fight these days and I really enjoy those that I find. My frustration level climbs quickly when those few fights are destroyed by some Ahole that just NEEDS the kill and has to pick, or HO. It seems to me that some of that has come back with the changes HTC has made. Is it better, yes, is it like it use to be, not even close, but I'll take what I can get and hope things continue to improve. Until then my wife likes having me hang around with her more than I fly."

Whoever this is, needs to take a break. The game hasnt changed.. You would NEVER get sympathy from an enemy that couldnt talk to you. If you wanted points, youd kill the red mofo. Especially right after the 262 was released!!!!

HTC has done a wonderful job with this game, but as you newer people have to be finding out; this is a world war 2 game, it doesnt go much further than that. This game is GREAT, but its not really built to be anything else. Until HTC upgrades to another new game engine, you will be playing the same game.

<S> all, glad im back for a while
I diddlyING LOVE ACES HIGH

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
Welcome back, empire2. Looking forward to meeting you in the cartoon skies soon!

And I can agree the game really hasnt changed much. Its the community, not the game, that has changed. I know because I have played since 2003.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »
Welcome back, empire2. Looking forward to meeting you in the cartoon skies soon!

And I can agree with the above post. The game hasnt changed much (aside from new graphics and planes). The only thing that has changed is the community. I know because I have played since 2003.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2010, 01:41:23 AM »
No one told me about the icing. I've been eating my AH cake without icing all these years  :cry

I told you about the icing.  I've been trying to get you to taste the icing.  Come join us in Saturday's frame of the scenario, Bear.  Come on, you want some icing, don't you?  It's chocolate!  (Or lemon, or vanilla, or strawberry, or whatever your favorite flavor is.  Double Wasp flavored?  Merlin flavored?)

Offline Hokum79

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2010, 02:24:39 AM »
What a coincidence that now that I finally have some time I decided to give AH another go after all these years, just to find this kind of thread :p

I still haven't played the new AH, have to buy a new joystick first, so I won't comment on the game itself, but I wonder by reading this where this fabulous chivalristic community was playing, because I can't remember it being as rosy as it is sometimes described here ^^