Author Topic: Could someone post some pics of their scaling?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Could someone post some pics of their scaling?
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:22:03 AM »
I was gone for a year or two and I'm not sure how to set it. Sure would appreciate it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Could someone post some pics of their scaling?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:33:50 AM »
Try default scaling on pitch and rudder to start. Scaling needs to match your stick and flying style so another person's tweaked scaling may not work as well for you.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
What stick you running? Yes it does make a big difference.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:01:17 AM »
What stick you running? Yes it does make a big difference.

CH Fighterstick USB.

Thanks Ghosth!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
Good Morning Getback,

the following 2 linked threads should help you:

Ack-Ack's Stick scaling:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,210575.msg2507915.html#msg2507915

Murdr's Stick Scaling: ( has pics of Murdr's settings )
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,218269.0.html

you really do not want any scaling on the aileron axis, just on the elevator axis

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
Good Morning Getback,

the following 2 linked threads should help you:

Ack-Ack's Stick scaling:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,210575.msg2507915.html#msg2507915

Murdr's Stick Scaling: ( has pics of Murdr's settings )
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,218269.0.html

you really do not want any scaling on the aileron axis, just on the elevator axis

hope this helps

AckAck's pictures didn't come up. I will follow your advice and just adjust the elevator and leave the rest on default.

Thanks!

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:34 AM »
AckAck's pictures didn't come up. I will follow your advice and just adjust the elevator and leave the rest on default.

Thanks!

yes, AckAck posted about the pictures stopped being hosted by that service..so if you scroll on down you will see where Ack-ack posted his .jsm file "scaling numbers"......... so anyone who wants to, can go in and use notepad to open the stick.jsm file and edit the file with the numbers Ack-Ack provided

note: stick.jsm is mentioned here for example purposes only.. it could be Saitek cyborg.jsm, fighterStick.jsm, Combatstick.jsm or any number of <stick name/type>.jsm file names....

my ch fighter stick file name is    chfighterstickusb.jsm

edit: be sure to not mark the .jsm file extension as "Always use notepad to open with" or whatever it says.....

go to the stick file, right click , then click open with ... then click search for program to open with. then uncheck the box where it says "always use the selected program to open this type of file" ( that is how it works with windows 7, anyways. I know WinXP is a little bit more simplistic )

and you only want to edit/change the numbers on the first row

example of mine:
Y Axis
AXIS,PITCH,0,1
1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00   ( <--- I do not scale, I set mine 100% across the top )

.. that is for mode 1, the 2nd & or 3rd or 4th AXIS,Pitch would be for the other modes .. be sure to read thoroughly, if you do it this way......click save and close file...... it is more simpler to do than it is to type the directions out  :aok  :D

hope this helps... Good Luck Getback
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:33:25 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
Thanks Tequila! I scaled my elevator but now I'm thinking like you 1.00 might be a better solution though the scaling really helped. Only a test in the MA will tell the truth. I also lightly scaled my rudder, which is ch also. That smoothed it out a bit. It seemed a bit over reactive.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
np Getback, anytime

just remember everyone's flying style and control input is different....... I hear alot of people wanting to "scale" to get rid of nose bounce.... I actually use TRIM to keep my nose from bouncing..... and I still have the 100% control input everytime I move my stick, it is not scaled down... so with TRIM adjusted to level crusie speed of the particular plane ( most times 250 mph to 350 mph on white needle ) then leave it alone.....so when I am trimmed for say 325 mph and I enter a fight in my F4U1 against a spitfire.when I we get slow like 200 mph or 150 mph....my nose is not bouncing on me, and when I want to put my boresite on the enemy I have a slight pull on the stick to hold the site on the enemy smoothly

when I drop a notch of flaps, my nose will not BOUNCE up quickly, it will be a smooth transition and I will not be having to push and pull to hold my nose on the opponent.....

but some fly using Combat Trim on all the time... some fly using scaling & combat trim combined, some fly with just scaling and manual trim their plane.... it is whatever is most comfortable for the individual......

work with the scaling and the trim, and find what fits your comfort level, but continously changing from one thing to another between scaling, Trim setting, combat trim, etc..... will be "non beneficial" until you find what you desire and then leave it be.... I have seen people who have had problems all because they were constantly changing their stick settings/scaling or constantly messing with manually trim their plane out or constantly mixing combat trim, no trim, manual trim etc..... it was fouling up their ability in a dogfight and their fun because they were overthinking the stuff...

hope this helps

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
I find that I have to constantly mess with scaling...now granted my Logi3D Pro is a bit old and loose, but ? I have is this-Could it just be my stick and Im in need of  anew one or can the scaling actually make my stick last longer?
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »
I find that I have to constantly mess with scaling...now granted my Logi3D Pro is a bit old and loose, but ? I have is this-Could it just be my stick and Im in need of  anew one or can the scaling actually make my stick last longer?

scaling will not help make your stick last longer, but adjusting the deadband will help in a band-aid sort of way in prolonging the use of a wornout "spiking" stick until you are able to replace the wornout stick

hope this helps

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »
I scaled my elevator to one. Seemed a bit stiff so I reduced it a hair which seems a little better for my F41a. I'm curious about something. Sometimes I trim the elevator. In doing so it seems the plane floats or is not as steady as with combat trim on. Does trimming the elevator affect the rudder trim or any other trim?