Author Topic: Anyone use the Logitech G35 Headset?  (Read 6554 times)

Offline 1Wolf

• Zinc Member
Anyone use the Logitech G35 Headset?
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
I was wondering if anyone uses the Logitech G35 Headset?  If you have and use a Logitech G35 headset, what do you think about it and how do you have the sound options in Aces High setup to take advantage of it?  Have you had any problems with it lately?

I picked up a Logitech G35 last week and so far I really like it, when it works properly.  However, it does have some issues and I was wondering if maybe my issues were due to the way I have it configured in Aces High, or maybe there were some other folks who ran into the same issues I'm having and solved it.

I have mine configured in Aces High as shown here:

After messing with some different configurations, the above setup sounded best.  In addition, in the G35 Configuration application it displays the last date you received surround sound through the headset to indicate that its working correctly.  If I set the Aces High Speaker Layout to be "Dolby Surround", the headset does not seem to process this as surround information and does not leave the date-time stamp in the Configuration application.  On the flipside, if I set the Speaker Layout to 7.1 Discrete it sounds absolutely awesome and the G35 configuration app does indeed show that it is receiving surround.

The problem is that it starts out sounding great, but about 75% of the time when I Xmit on VOX (Either channel vox OR Range) it does "Something" to the sound.  After I Xmit, the sound will get a bit "Muddier" and more "Muted" sounding or quieter.  Suddenly the aircraft engines and effects don't sound as crisp and loud as they were.  If I go back to the game's sound options and set the speaker layout to "Dolby Digital" and then, right away, reset it back to "7.1 Discrete" again....it goes back to sounding perfect for a little while, at least until I Xmit on VOX again.

I figured either it has something to do with the way I have it setup in-game, or, maybe the G35 just isn't all its cracked up to be.  I've got 30 days to return it so I'd appreciate any info you'd care to share.

Thanks!

VF-15 Satan's Playmates
"No matter how hard you work, no matter how right are you are, sometimes the dragon just wins."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone use the Logitech G35 Headset?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
i have all sliders (left sliders that is)  all the way to the right.  and have dolby surround selected.  However i did notice that in windows sounds i must select g35 as the default for it to work properly.  you must also set up the g35 withing windows.  goto windows click g35 then at botton left corner of box click configure, then just follow the insutruction. where it gets tricky is in select " full range speakers." that's the third screen i clicked on both front left and right/ surround speaker options.  it seemed to work for me.

keep in mind that there's difference among all system configurations.  get a piece of paper and right down, exactly what you do, till you figure out the right combo.  took me over 1 hour and now it works great.

semp

edit: make sure you have a self-powered usb hub and hook up the headset to it.

second edit:  there's two places in ah that control mike volume, another in the g35 controller and the last in windows.  make sure none of them are set low.  in addition make sure you dont have voice morph set up in your head set. on the upper right of your g35 set applications to itunes ( dont have have itunes so it does nothing)  last one i have it set to voice preview see how you sound on it.  I will click it when people complain that my voice is to low and adjust volume accordingly.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:09:47 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 1Wolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:59:08 AM »
Thanks Semp!  I've got all the windows settings correct and I setup the G35 as the default as you mentioned.

What options did you select for your AH in-game sound options?  In the left pane, which options did you select "Headset" or "Speakers" for?  In the right pane, which hardware did you map to which catagories?  What do you have the sliders set to for the "Voice" options panel (I believe there is a voice and an "effects" slider?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:02:09 AM by 1Wolf »

VF-15 Satan's Playmates
"No matter how hard you work, no matter how right are you are, sometimes the dragon just wins."

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
I don't know if this will help you out but here is my setup for the g35.

Right click on speaker icon, select playback devices, right click on the G35 section. click on properties.

go into enhancements and select bass management  and loudness equalization.

under the advanced tab select the 16 bit CD quality selection for that.

Hope that helps you out. Any other questions give me a PM.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline 1Wolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
Thankyou sir!  :aok I hadn't thought to check that 'enhancements' window you mentioned.  I'll check and set that when I get home and see if thats part of the problem.

How did you set your Aces High in-game Sound options (Like in my screenshot at the top)?

VF-15 Satan's Playmates

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
on the master volume i have them all set to the right,( i am kindda def cause of work) and for speaker layout i have dolby surround.  works good for me.

now correct me on this if i am wrong, but loudness equalization, will make all sounds sound the same.  so if a please is aproaching it might sound just as loud far away as it it when its close to you, same for rounds hitting etc.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
Just got my g35s yesterday, so sorry for the late reply to this 2010 post. 

After hours of tinkering with both Windows settings and in-game settings, I've noticed that there is a bug causing my engine sound to drop out completely and incoming VOX transmissions to sound
de-tuned like there's a voice modulator effect.  However, this bug only occurs with improper settings that I can't seem to recall so it's a non-issue for me. 

I have the opposite results as to the "Dolby Surround" vs. "7.1" settings.  At first, I would switch to "Dolby Surround" and notice an immediate decrease in volume and a thinner low frequency response as compared to all other settings except the "Mono" setting.  ("Mono" is arguably the worst sound ever).   Thinking that this must be an improper setting, I would move on to other options.  After giving the "Dolby Surround" setting an entire sortie and parking my plane on the runway to listen to other take off, I've come to the conclusion that "Dolby Surround"  models the surround effect the best.  The thinner sound is due to objects/planes/vehicles being behind me.  Firing the first rocket in a p38 sounds like its comming from the back and to the left, JFK style.  Now if only these things had a
hi-pass filter and a graphic EQ.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:39:15 AM »
Don't use the logitec software in AH set all the sliders up and then close it down :old:

Use sound options in windows settng mic etc :old:

Also use a powered USB hub  :old:

When you use logitec software it dulls the surround sound in game when you use VOX channels :old:

AH settings set to 7.1 are very good , not using logitec software means you cannot use the Morp voice software which is a much use as a chocolate tea pot anyway :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
Don't use the logitec software in AH set all the sliders up and then close it down

Are you saying to close the g35.exe that runs in the background, loads at startup, and is viewable in your task manager?  It is my understanding that this program is necessary to model the surround effects and that closing this program limits the G35 to stereo output only.  I think your referring to the G35 Headset Settings program pictured below. Ya close that thing down.

Also, when the background program is running you still have access to the G buttons.  If your G button is programmed to voice effects, you can still toggle a preset effect on/off if your into those sorts of annoying gimmicks.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »
I don't have it running at all, AH has 7.1, Dobly etc  :old:

Control panel in windows is used to set Volume, Mic etc :old:(set all sliders in software to high I am sure it sets defaults pc sounds somehow )

Turn the volume up as well  :old:

In other games  I use logitec software but not in AH.

What sound pack are you using I am sure Ranger sound pack is very good :old:

Put explosions sound to high in AH sound settings it's mad when a bomb drop's near you :banana:

The GFC

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Zack wait till I'm using a combo soundpack right now, a little of TB and a little of Rangers and Mitsu's sound pack... took a little while to get it matched up but it works great. Also when i had my G35 I had G35 software running in the background so the sound enhancements were there.

My headsets broke at the clip that holds teh left ear on so I had to buy a new set. So what i did is get a sound card also and the enhancements are awesome.

Other than that the headset is awesome at getting under the skin of your squaddies with the voice mods...LOL
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 01:34:48 PM »
 :aok :)

The GFC