Author Topic: Avoid the HO  (Read 2169 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Avoid the HO
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
This can come from any angle. It's just easier to draw a plane from the top  :neener:

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
Yes , but it comes down to how good at minimizing the front quarter shot  you are tho.
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
Yes , but it comes down to how good at minimizing the front quarter shot  you are tho.

If the other guy is getting a guns solution you are participating in the HO, not avoiding it. Most likely you are thinking you might get a shot and then deciding against it way too late.

This is the root of 99% of all the complaints about HO. Two guys try to HO. One gets a kill and the other complains. If you stop trying for a guns solution at every pass you will begin to avoid most front quarter snapshots. It is that simple.

Beat them by flying the airplane and use the guns to let them know they lost.

Fly with the guns empty and see how much your style changes. 

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »
My problem is I misread the other plane.  I am trying to get on his six, and realize too late he is not turning the way I thought he was, and I am on his twelve.  I need to get a better video card.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
When you actually look at what the guys who are generally recognized as killing machines do you'll see that far from "avoiding" the HO they go out of their way to invite any and all types of attack. What they do is work at presenting them selfs in such away that they appear to be a much better target then they are. The issue isn't one of just "flying better" but actually proactively manipulating the other guy into flying worse. Once you reach a stage that your comfortable being your own bait then your getting ready for prime time....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »
When you actually look at what the guys who are generally recognized as killing machines do you'll see that far from "avoiding" the HO they go out of their way to invite any and all types of attack. What they do is work at presenting them selfs in such away that they appear to be a much better target then they are. The issue isn't one of just "flying better" but actually proactively manipulating the other guy into flying worse. Once you reach a stage that your comfortable being your own bait then your getting ready for prime time....

In essence, you're able to make the other guy predictable by being your own bait.  If I turn like so, he'll attack me either like this, or this...  When he does, I'll do this...

It's pretty amazing just how manipulative you can be...

Even "drawing" someone into attempting an HO isn't too tough, since so many are so willing anyway.  Of course, if you're ready for them to try it, and you present a tempting but practically impossible target to hit, you're also ready for the stage right after they attempt the shot.  And again, it isn't hard to predict where they'll be, and what they'll be doing, since in essence they were "put" there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:02:12 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 05:59:35 AM »
You can avoid a HO as long as you have the E to manveour, you can get in situations were your slow and attempting to avoid the HO will simply leave your opponent a gift of a shot.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »
You can avoid a HO as long as you have the E to manveour, you can get in situations were your slow and attempting to avoid the HO will simply leave your opponent a gift of a shot.

do you realize how many pile-its out there are good at slipping with rudder, or pushing the nose down hard for that quick shot when you go to avoid the ho?
 i fought against a guy last night.....5 passes, 5 ho attempts......thankfully i managed to dodge every one as he was in a p47-d11.......but that seemed to be all he had.

a little later, he came at me..i saw him from 6k out, my 7 hi,.....i flew straight n level, letting him think i didn't see him.....when i thought he had guns on me, i turned hard into blackout. he tried to shoot, made one turn, and kept going. same guy;.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
Ummm....I have a confession to make.  :(

Last night in the MA  I HO'ed a poor defenseless Brewster.  :frown:

Twice.  ;)

With a C-Hog.  :D

I feel so dirty.  :devil

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
The only time I ho is if i'm in a mossie or 110 qnd some one tries to ho me. If they're dumb enogh to ho 2 30mm and 2x 20mm, or 4 hispanos and 4 30cals, it's alright to shoot back. I was once a hoer, but with a bit of time you can break the habbit!  :banana:  :airplane:
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Well he *was* coming straight at me, and he *did* fire first...at least I think he did, and it was kind of a vulch situation.  Plus, he got my engine oil before he went down, but I managed to land on the CV with a canopy full of Quaker State.  :airplane:

I did manage to avoid HO's all night except once. 

I just kinda feel a bit guilty about slicing a Brewster into tin foil with 4 x Hispano Cannons. 

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
I'VE mistaken the heading of some aircraft, and ho'd accidentially......sat. night being a prime example. i was dropping from alt onto a 110, thought he was going for ack.....just as he came into guns range, i realized he was comin straight at me. i held fire, and lifted the nose slightly to avoid the collision. he held fire too, and the fight was on....was a fun one too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
The only time I ho is if i'm in a mossie or 110 qnd some one tries to ho me. If they're dumb enogh to ho 2 30mm and 2x 20mm, or 4 hispanos and 4 30cals, it's alright to shoot back. I was once a hoer, but with a bit of time you can break the habbit!  :banana:  :airplane:

Is there a rehab program?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
Can you?

I find a hard break at D800 usually screws them up. Oh sure, you may take a few pings as he changes to a crossing shot, but unless he has 30mm's you usually get away with a scratch at most.

Also, try a slow roll with full opposite rudder applyed. Seems many have trouble with that.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:08 PM »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song