Author Topic: New radar = boring ...bring back old radar  (Read 4054 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Re: New radar = boring ...bring back old radar
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
i didn't interpret it that way at all.

no one wants to fight in a game that is supposed to be about fights. now that they're being given a better opportunity to fight, they're coming here and complaining about it.

Who said the game was about fights only.. Yes the game is about fighting, but if that were the only aspect of the game, why do they include base taking, strat damage, and perks for war winning? If the game were about fighting only, than you wouldn't need the other stuff would you? It would be one giant fur ball... I thought the game was about taking bases and winning the map with a reward of perk points when you did..

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
Who said the game was about fights only.. Yes the game is about fighting, but if that were the only aspect of the game, why do they include base taking, strat damage, and perks for war winning? If the game were about fighting only, than you wouldn't need the other stuff would you? It would be one giant fur ball... I thought the game was about taking bases and winning the map with a reward of perk points when you did..
uumm......because you have to fight to accomplish these tasks?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »

:aok
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »

Clearly you didn't read my post Quote:  (who said the game was about fights only.. Yes the game is about fighting, but)
Yes this is true, but that fight is not the useless fur ball.. The fight is to reach the objective. The fur ball has no objective....
I said yes the game is about fighting, but there are other objectives as well... If it is only about fighting, why give damage points away for killing building or ships? If it is only about fighting, why give bomber points for flattening a base? I think that the game has evolved and was designed to have many different components to it . Not just fur balling.. IMHO :salute

I am a pretty good tanker and a terrible fighter pilot, but yes I do get into the fur ball often and kill and get killed because, I enjoy doing that as well. But not all of the time..My squad and I spent two hours last night fighting to take P14 in Orange. I must have been killed 20 times, but we ended up taking it in the end. (Good Fight by the way) We fought for an objective. The Port..  This is how I personally enjoy the game..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:38:57 PM by sky25 »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »
Clearly you didn't read my post Quote:  (who said the game was about fights only.. Yes the game is about fighting, but)
Yes this is true, but that fight is not the useless fur ball.. The fight is to reach the objective. The fur ball has no objective....
I said yes the game is about fighting, but there are other objectives as well... If it is only about fighting, why give damage points away for killing building or ships? If it is only about fighting, why give bomber points for flattening a base? I think that the game has evolved and was designed to have many different components to it . Not just fur balling.. IMHO :salute

99/100 of what you call "mindless furballs" are actually fights for bases.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »
Disagree Sky

Keep in mind I come from the camp of 'I'm doing what I want to do and you're doing what you want to do and I really don't give a rats rear end what everybody else is doing'.

I like the furball.  Somebody refresh my memory didn't we used to have a map in the rotation called Furball lake where there were three bases close together and we spent a week slaughtering each other?   To me that was a BLAST but I can see where other people wouldn't like it. *shrug*

I also like taking bases with a coordinated group so long as that group has the marbles to stick around and try to press the attack if they see some red icons.  

Never did much GV'ing except in offline when I was really really bored or needed a break.  But I'd like to get more acquainted with it.  

I love the AVA where, to me at least, the regs play this game the way I like.  I'm really not happy that my comp has developed an attitude this week and I'm going to have to ship it off to get it sorted out ESPECIALLY this week due to the setup.  

Meh.. whatever you like.  I'm not going to mock you for it unless it's tongue in cheek and we both know it.  
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »
From my back side = NO

From the horses mouth = YES

here's a few from the horsese mouth

Before we made the change we had stopped growing.
After the change we started growing at a new record pace.
From Pyro
Why did you make this change?

We made this change because it will allow us to support an unlimited amount of players in a much healthier online environment that gives us better long-term growth.  The single MA has grown to the point of being unhealthy.  This is not a subjective evaluation, it is quantifiable and they are numbers that we look at every day.  It’s obvious that we simply cannot keep pumping more players into a single arena without hitting a stagnation point. 

Why are you doing this now?

There’s a convergence of factors such as current arena health, player mass, time of year and a couple of things in the pipeline that we believe will provide an influx of players.  Taken together, we believe this is the best time to make this transition. 

Is this being done for technical reasons?

No.  While some people on lower end machines may see some performance benefit, it’s not for technical reasons that the change is being made. 

This is going to fracture the community.

We disagree.  Communities grow and healthy growth requires structure.  Just packing in as many people as possible creates a slum, not a community.  We now have multiple neighborhoods in our community, but they are all connected. 

The caps need to be adjusted.

The cap numbers as well as the numbers of arenas will undergo adjustment as needed.  During the transition, we feel its important not to make them too large in order to overcome habit and herding behavior.  Things will change as we move through the transition period and people begin to regain their comfort level.

We need better tools to find or communicate with people across the different arenas.

We agree.  We have some host side changes that will be coming out shortly that will facilitate cross arena communication and hooking up with your squad mates and we’ll continue to develop more things that will help in this area.

Are you crazy?

No, we are rational and unemotional about this.  We don’t undertake a major change because we’re masochists; we make the change because we believe that it is ultimately what’s best for the game. 

from hitech
the symtom of the bad behavior is caused by issues in game design. And understand I'm using the term game design with a very large brush. People tend not to belive that issues like squad sizes, arena sizes, type of play prometed by the game,scoring, kill messages, types of comnuication have an impact on how people interact with  eachother I.E (community) . But when you step back and look at things as a whole they are what shapes the rules and standarads of the community.
the whole theread http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,187226.0.html
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »
99/100 of what you call "mindless furballs" are actually fights for bases.

Yes WMLute, you are correct sir. But many are not.. Many are the horde that other used to complain about before the radar changes when the NOE crowd used to do it.. Went went from noe smash and grabs to mindless hordes that turn into a fur ball. I do not think that anyone is right or wrong about these things. everyone seems to have a different opinion of them.. I think we can all agree that we enjoy playing the game.. :salute
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:46:25 PM by sky25 »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
Yes WMLute, you are correct sir. But many are not..

You will almost never see a large fight in the LW's just for the sake of fighting.

Actually, going back 10 years here, i'm hard pressed to ever remember a large scaled fight in the LW's where they were fighting just for the sake of fighting.  (i.e. mindless furball)

Usually one side tends to win and pushes forward towards the enemy base.  It can go back/forth for a few hours but one side wins the air battle and they attack and capture the nme base.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:49:12 PM by WMLute »
— George Patton

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »
here's a few from the horsese mouth
From Pyro
from hitechthe whole theread http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,187226.0.html

the game has changed sense that post was made over 4 years ago  :rolleyes:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »
it would be pretty cool to adapt then, and use some mossies as pathfinders(i think that's what they were called?), have em kill all dar in the area(which isn't hard to be honest) as the main force is climbing to altitude. they can even mark the target for ya by lighting somethign.........an ammo bunker or something.

Sure we can all adapt and we do. But that does not mean that this is better.
If ppl wanted to find the bombers before the change they could. They just had to work a little harder.
But i guess you dont want to work for that?

Oh and im not speaking of the NOE setting just the Radar rings.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:28:52 PM by klingan »

The Few GFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »
I think it's a cowardly way to play. What's so wrong with meeting the enemy head on in a video game. Has this game now become about the sneak and not so much about the fight anymore?  :headscratch:

Depends on the reasons.  If it's just to attack undefended bases to steam roll the map and "WIN THE WAR™" then yes, I do agree with you.  However, there were times when on S.A.P.P nights we would run an "Alamo" night where we would go deep into enemy country (we'd pick the side with the most players) and capture one of the airfields and then fly from there and see how long we could defend it.  The Alamo missions would usually generate huge fights that would last quite a bit but the main point of these missions was to create a battle that was fun.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
From my back side = NO

From the horses mouth = YES

Are you saying that HiTech, Pyro or anyone else from HTC directly told you that or did you get your information from a player who pulled it of where the Sun doesn't shine?

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »
i didn't interpret it that way at all.

no one wants to fight in a game that is supposed to be about fights. now that they're being given a better opportunity to fight, they're coming here and complaining about it.

Yep, people that have some sort of adverse reaction to PvP shouldn't be playing a PvP centric game.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »

I like the furball.  Somebody refresh my memory didn't we used to have a map in the rotation called Furball lake where there were three bases close together and we spent a week slaughtering each other?   To me that was a BLAST but I can see where other people wouldn't like it. *shrug*

Yes we did and it was a fun place to fight but the bomb****s and GV'tards didn't like it because we weren't playing how they wanted us to.  This resulted in waves of bombers and GVs attacking the 3 bases and killing the FHs to stop the furball because we weren't playing their way to WIN THE WAR™.

ack-ack