Author Topic: Fuel Burn bug  (Read 1765 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Fuel Burn bug
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »
well if you can pull FT at that rpm then yes, but you generally cant. however we're talking about diving, which means throttle at idle, so 1000rpm or 3000rpm its same flow rate (ie. very little.)

but the engine doesn't know the difference between closed(barely cracked open) throttle and full throttle.  theoretically it could be a fully open little tiny throttle body that lets thru the same air as the closed throttle.

as long as it's metering the proper ratio of fuel to air, it will suck more fuel at higher rpm because it's sucking more air... i'm assuming that the carb/injection systems always are trying for a proper ratio of fuel to air, and don't go lean when someone chops the throttle :)   (which I've always understood is bad for engine internals)

and the OP point was, at idle, with rpm back to 1000 or whatever minimum you can get at low airspeed, as you dive, the rpm comes back up up to 1800 or whatever, and there is no increase in fuel flow on the e6b in the game. this is a bug (the OP thinks, and I think now also)

the whole thread is a little weird, i love thinkin about this stuff tho!

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Fuel Burn bug
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
I'm not an engineer or even a plane mechanic but in a basic fuel system fuel/air mixture is only "sucked" in from the manifold. If the throttles are cut and are only supplying a minimal amount of of fuel/air mixture the engine can only suck what is available. So if your not supplying the engine with more fuel your engine can't suck any more.

if the engine is being windmilled(driven by external forces) higher than the rpm you selected, does it not suck more ?

full open throttle / idle throttle are both throttle settings.  it should work the same both ways.

the way i figured it out in my mind is to think of a plane in level flight with wide open throttle.
bring back the rpm now.
the MP will decrease.
so will fuel flow.

in game, with throttle at idle, fuel flow does not vary with RPM. it should.

another way is to think of a big theoretical starter hooked up to an engine (glorified air pump) parked on the ground.. turn off the mags (no ignition), throttle butterflies full open (or missing), turn on the fuel system. spin it to 800 rpm.. it will be sucking a certain amount of fuel and spitting it out the exhaust... now spin it up to 2750 rpm at the same missing butterfly condition. you think it still sucks the same amount of fuel per hour? Ahha!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:16:32 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.