Author Topic: The sky of Moscow 1941 video  (Read 567 times)

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
The sky of Moscow 1941 video
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
I made a short video (17 minutes) from the Soviet movie about the air battle of Moscow in 1941. I cut out all the unnecessary, unimportant and plain silly moments, including the love story, and left only the most interesting episodes related to aircrafts and the life of pilots on the airfield. The footage shows real aircrafts, though the air fights are all staged of course. Considering the actual movie was made during the war (without computer graphics ;) ) it is not that bad.

http://youtu.be/YADww1p-UcM

The story is about the young fighter pilot Streltsov who just graduated from flight school and sent to IAP which defends Moscow from bomber raids. Veteran pilots of the squad bet that IAP Commander will never give MiG-3 to the new pilot but I-16 or I-153 instead to start with. They are right as next morning Commander gives Streltsov a task to make a practice flight in I-153. During this flight Streltsov spots german reconnaissance plane and scores his first victory. He gets the nickname "Lucky". He continues flying I-153 for next month but scores nothing. It makes him very disappointed. Finally the IAP Commander considers that Streltsov is experienced enough to fly MiG-3 and assigns him to MiG-3 group. The luck returns back to Streltsov. His score grows quickly. Later on he is promoted to wing leader and performs most difficult night flights.
In the end of the film we see that another young pilot arrives on the airfield. IAP Commander sends him to Streltov's group. Streltsov talks to the young pilot and remembers himself when he was young and "green"...