Author Topic: Aces High Plane Preview: Mosquito B.XVI  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Aces High Plane Preview: Mosquito B.XVI
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »
Awesome looking plane indeed!

Karnak, according to www.mossie.org: B.XVI Bomber. Pressure cabin development of the B.IX with Merlin 72, 73, 76 and 77 engines able to carry 3000lb bombs. All were converted in 1944 to take 4000lb bomb in the fuselage and two 50 gallon wing drop tanks or 100 gallon drop tanks with four 500lb bombs.
Should be noted that the B.IXs were the ones converted.  The B.XVI was designed and intended to carry the 'cookie' from the start.  It seems it could take a 'cookie' and two 100 gallon drop tanks, and if it could take that then it could take a 'cookie' and two 500lb bombs, but I still haven't ever seen mention of it doing so.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »
Should be noted that the B.IXs were the ones converted.  The B.XVI was designed and intended to carry the 'cookie' from the start.  It seems it could take a 'cookie' and two 100 gallon drop tanks, and if it could take that then it could take a 'cookie' and two 500lb bombs, but I still haven't ever seen mention of it doing so.

Hard to carry a Cookie on the 1st 12 B.XVIs as they did have the bulged bomb bay.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:36:41 AM »

5K per Mosquito, thats almost a B17 :P
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:58 AM »
5K per Mosquito, thats almost a B17 :P

just swap out the insane amount of guns and armor for pure unadulterated speed

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
Will this plane be perked? If so at what cost, ill start bombing towns.
Strokes

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »
It looks like it will be a fun plane to fly, something to use bomber perks on.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
IMO it won't be perked.

No guns, and il won't be THAT fast with the cookie on.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
IMO it won't be perked.

No guns, and il won't be THAT fast with the cookie on.

Let me quote an earlier post:

max. 408 m.p.h. F.S. gear at 28,500 feet before target.

Even if it were "only" like 390mph, it would be very high speed for that altitude, making interception very difficult.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »
we'll see how HTC looks at it, its not only about the stats but also about the MA usage.

A cookie won't change the world!  :banana:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »
A cookie won't change the world!  :banana:

Well, the Mossie will carry 83% of a B-17 bombload, and 150% of the Ar 234...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
Well, the Mossie will carry 83% of a B-17 bombload, and 150% of the Ar 234...
and along with this it'll have approximately 90% the max speed of the Ar 234 also at 27k feet... it may get a higher perk than the 234...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Im going to ask a serious question here. How many people are going to climb to 28k to drop bombs? I doubt it will be that many, and the mossie will probably not be perked.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
and along with this it'll have approximately 90% the max speed of the Ar 234 also at 27k feet... it may get a higher perk than the 234...

I doubt that it will be perked. For Christ's sake, the darn thing doesn't have any guns to defend itself with! Not to mention it's made of wood. Yes the B.XVI will be hard to intercept, and while it may carry 83% of a B17 bomb load, or have 90% of the Arado's speed, it simply isn't going to overbalance the gameplay. All the Mossie can hope for is that there is no co-alt, or higher, cons intercepting it. It would be a sitting duck if there were. I think some people are making the B.XVI to be something impossible to bring down, when it really would not be the case. There are several planes in the MA that will have no problem intercepting the B.XVI co-alt or lower.

Elusive? Yes. Unstoppable? Hell no.

While it will carry the cookie, about the only EFECTIVE use for the cookie would be to either drop it on a strat, or in the center cluster of town buildings. Using the cookie for a hangar would just be a waste of a bomb when it has the potential to do more damage on other targets.

If the B.XVI had a tail gunner, I would definitely support putting a perk on it. Otherwise give it a low ENY value like 5 or 10. If I am wrong about the B.XVI being overbalancing to the gameplay, then go for the perk price.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »
It's would be good to see another perked bomber in AH. I'd Actually have something to spend my perkies on then the Ar-234.  :airplane:
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
I doubt that it will be perked. For Christ's sake, the darn thing doesn't have any guns to defend itself with! Not to mention it's made of wood. Yes the B.XVI will be hard to intercept, and while it may carry 83% of a B17 bomb load, or have 90% of the Arado's speed, it simply isn't going to overbalance the gameplay. All the Mossie can hope for is that there is no co-alt, or higher, cons intercepting it. It would be a sitting duck if there were. I think some people are making the B.XVI to be something impossible to bring down, when it really would not be the case. There are several planes in the MA that will have no problem intercepting the B.XVI co-alt or lower.

Elusive? Yes. Unstoppable? Hell no.

While it will carry the cookie, about the only EFECTIVE use for the cookie would be to either drop it on a strat, or in the center cluster of town buildings. Using the cookie for a hangar would just be a waste of a bomb when it has the potential to do more damage on other targets.

If the B.XVI had a tail gunner, I would definitely support putting a perk on it. Otherwise give it a low ENY value like 5 or 10. If I am wrong about the B.XVI being overbalancing to the gameplay, then go for the perk price.
you really think you'll be seeing any enemy cons over a base with a furball that high up??? no i doubt there will be many there. and seeing as how very few cons will intercept co alt, the mossi has no real threat if flown properly at all... and how many times have you seen any cons on your six with the 234 if you fly that right also?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy