Author Topic: been in ava alot lately  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: been in ava alot lately
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
why thank you, thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me. now where are the sheep?   :D

Sheep are for RAF pilots and male interior decorators. Be a man and go for the goat.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:54:16 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00:59 PM »
 :rofl

:aok

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »
Looks like you have this one trained already shifty, do you pimp her  :confused:out?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:10 AM »
Looks like you have this one trained already shifty, do you pimp her  :confused:out?

She's just a free spirit.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
Goats make you lazy and don't develop your 6 pack.  Sheep don't have handlebars ( I mean horns).  :uhoh So i've heard.

Doomed,

Please try not to feel as though you are alone on an island sending SOS messages in a bottle and finding them returned to shore with a reply, "SOS does not reside at this address return to sender."  We all know that your intentions are for a healthier AvA population. 

Instead of taking your reference to elite behavior to heart, I hope that we all could just pause, take a deep breath and maybe a look in the mirror.  Most will see there is room for improvement. 

The purest form of "humble" Aces High pilots have to be the Aces High Trainers.  Anything deviating from a pure trainer in a pure training environment, will assume the weight of ego and pride fueled by the spirit of competition.   Possibly the reason that perk points, and other MA gauges are disabled in the AvA.

Doomed, sir you have given me some wickedly fun fights.  Win or loose, we both enjoyed them, but what did we learn from them?  If they were purely training exercises, we would have communicated, to each other, flaws in our tactics and ways that we were able to best use the no icons toolbox to our advantage. 

Having played this game for about a decade, I have to say there still are tips to be learned on a daily basis, meaning that if we put our collective knowledge together, as a community, we will find that ah hah! moment, that will tip the scales in favor of fun and away from frustration.  When last I checked, the largest weight on the frustration side was low AvA numbers.  This has always been the catch 22.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »
cant keep a cable connection for over 30 minutes lately so been in ava more and more. Our squad has made a comitment to fly here more but i will tell you why most stay away. There needs to be a limited icon range. Maybe 600 or so but sorry but thats a fact.

Most guys might give up there perk ride for a fun arena but its no fun fighting a guy that dives to the deck and you cant see him cuz your eyes aint 20/20. a very short icon range will increase  the fun and take the fight off the deck.

This is just my opinion but ive head many many others say the same. A short icon range will help the ava arena.

the key to seeing them when they're on the deck, is to be on the deck yourself. 

it's very easy to see them when you're co-alt, or below em. once you get in close, stay in close. it's a different style of fighting in there.

i flew a fight against jc67 sat. night. i should've handed his butt to him. i had alt, speed, and a better plane.  :D  my mistake? i fell into my old ma habit, of keeping my alt, and every time i went up, i lost sight of him. this let him set me up, and eventually, he took apart my plane.

my eyes aren't 20/20 either btw......but if you allow yourself time to get used to it, i think you'll have a blast. in the few weeks since i've started going into the ava, i've had more fun than i think i've had in the last couple of years in the main arenas.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »

True.  Doomed, the no-icon thing does take a few hours of flying to get used to (I figure four as a general target).  If someone is willing to invest that amount of time, it really does make a huge difference.  As Humble has said elsewhere, suddenly the WWII accounts you've read make a lot more sense.

- oldman

bolded.....aaaaaiiiiiinnnnnt THAT the truth!!

an example.

i jumped rammey. he never saw me comin, but i fired too far back, 'cause i thought he did. he was dead in my sights. as soon as i saw hit sprites, i saw his tail skid right, then left, then that skidding roll to get out of the guns........and to be honest, it looked exactly like you see in footage on the old discovery wings shows........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »
<EDIT>For the last 2 years we had icons on, and no one came in. people even asked why HTC didnt just shut down the AVA or use it for something else. So now we get a bit creative and we turn off icons and get a new map in there and all of a sudden we get a large influx of people that really enjoy playing with the no enemy icons and like it.

now we have 2 or 3 players that are requesting that we put icons back or make them limited range? where were you guys 2 years ago?

with the no icons, i get picked, i get nailed from afar, i even get ho'ed. i learn to fly and fight while looking over my shoulder or hoping the guys around me will help keep an eye on my back! i am very vocal about check 6's and i hope that other people will respond in kind. one must learn to adjust to this particular part of the game. maybe you should read the book "who moved my cheese"! its the same thing. one must be fluid and learn to adjust, rather then always force things back to status quo.

instead of complaining about it, why not grab someone you don't know, and ask them to work with you, to cover your 6 as a wing-man. this way you have someone to help you hopefully, and you might make a new friend in the process. this would make it easier for you, and maybe you would have a new potential squaddie in the making. 
grumpy, i have a large file full of gunsites squirreled away somewhere. my computer crashed last night, but i think i have them online. if i do, i can send you the file.

you mentioned help from guys around you.

that night i flew with killert, silent6, and a couple of others.....it was truly amazing. if one of us went in, one of the others would call out that they were comin with us. it was that night i talked abnout 2 hours straight of fighting.
 no one planned the teamwork that existed, but it happened. it was a VERY large part of what made that night fun. it made it feel more real. i think the only way it could've felt more real, would've been for us to have people in the room punching us every time we took hits.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »

Sweet, then i could blame you for my poor gunnery...   :x

I think its funny, if everyone that complained about it not having enough people in it came in they would probably need to put a cap on it........   And for the ones the complain about the limited planeset,  go out on a limb and learn something new.  Just cause its not the ubber plane doesnt mean it wont be fun to fly.  

Forgot my  :salute to Doomed...  Hope you stay around, lots of fun fights.

that;s what put me in a pee40.

i came in one week when the allied set was spit5, hurri2c, pee40....i forget the others. there was no pee38 though. i upped a hurri2c.......popped a couple of 110's, then thought " what the hell am i doing??"  landed it, upped a spit5, and thought the same thing...only this time i had to shower to get the spitfire off of me.......i could and had flown these two rides before in the ma.....a lot too. why the hell was i doing the same old poop here?

i took up the rusty ole pee40, and found that i actually kind of like it. no cannons, no massive speed......just those scary looking sharks teeth.....and loads of fun.

the point??

try something new and/or different.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
omg i give up on explaining to you people what im trying to get at so nvm. Have fun and good luck chile and friends. :salute

I'm not the best....but if you need help, look for me in there, and i'll do whatever i can.

ingame is 1ltcap
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 09:02:40 AM »
Well, I'm mid-school AvA.  Played alot during the notorius JG54 time, bought a house and took a year off, now back.  I used to only play AvA.  I still play occasionally but the no icon setting is too much like work and less like a fun game for me.  I like the ACM and the no-icon setting ends up with a bunch of kills where you don't even see the guy.  It is very fun occasionally but I find myself choosing LW which I almost never used to do.  Icons to me in AvA make it more about the knife fight and less sneaking around and trying to stay hidden.  After a day of work, I often don't want to put as much attention into the game which is required for no icons.

Just my 2-cents.  I still enjoy the areana either way and appreciate all of the work that goes into it and will continue to play it.

BTW, the arena seemed to do best when it had active squads making it their home.  They always provided good initial numbers that would draw others in.  The forums were also quite fun to read with all of the slamming!  :cheers:

Chog

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »
Ahh you were Venom back then, I thought the BBS handle looked familiar.  <S> Good to see ya back.  :cheers:
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 01:27:51 PM »
Ahh you were Venom back then, I thought the BBS handle looked familiar.  <S> Good to see ya back.  :cheers:

Yep, Venom in the old days.  Trying to keep it light and fun so got a fresh start with a new handle.  Good to see some of the old names in here.

Chog

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
Hi Venom, I remember you from those days. Welcome back!

<S>