Author Topic: B-17 North of Bakersfield  (Read 809 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
B-17 North of Bakersfield
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »
Whats the story on that B17 parked right off I-5 (right hand side going N) an hour or two N of Bakersfield Cali.  Went by so fast I just barely caught a glimpse of it.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: B-17 North of Bakersfield
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
Probably at Harris Ranch Airport/Inn. Most likely refueling stop and/or crew got hungry...

Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant (http://www.harrisranch.com/) with full restaurant (breakfast, lunch and dinner).

Situated approximately halfway between the Bay Area and Southern California, Harris Ranch is known throughout the state for their famous Harris Ranch Blue Ribbon beef.

They have their own private, 2800' paved runway and they are a popular breakfast / lunch / dinner choice for travelers and truckers going north / south in CA along the I-5. The runway is parallel to the interstate and the weather is typically sunny and warm.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
I almost ripped my wifes arm out of her socket yesterday. We were crossing a parking lot and I heard a plane up behind the trees. I yanked her along and started yelling "THAT'S A MUSTANG!"   :rofl  Sure enough, it was one tooling along over head. I have no idea what one was doing in the area.

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »
I tell ya what gents...something few in the world stop and appreciate, Im outside mowing my lawn yesteday, and over the the cough and spit of my wally world special mower I hear those beautiful engines overhead.  I kill the mower and look up and see a B-25.  My only guess is it was the "Yellow Rose of Texas" as she operates down here often.  Figured maybe she was getting some runs in ahead of the Wings over Houston air show in late October.

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
Whats the story on that B17 parked right off I-5 (right hand side going N) an hour or two N of Bakersfield Cali.  Went by so fast I just barely caught a glimpse of it.

I don't know the history of that particular B-17 but I know which one you are talking about. I live in Bakersfield and ironically, I passed it today. It is actually the Highway 99 (unless there is actually another one off I-5 I don't know about). There is gray B-17 and F-4 Phantom there that is just off Exit 200.  I believe the history is that field was used for training (Fighters, Bombers )back in WWII. Next time you come through Bakersfield, let me know and maybe we can meet up somewhere  :old:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:42:24 PM by RoGenT »
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »
Happened to me once, Before i knew that they had bombers come here every year, I was outside and I heard a dull roar getting louder. Looked up and saw a B-17 overhead and then a B-24 almost right after. Was awesome, nobody else knew why I was freaking out, lol

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:05:56 AM »
There is a B17G "Preston's Pride" on the right side of North bound Hwy 99 in Tulare at Mefford field:

http://ben92252-01.tripod.com/   

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=36.15303,-119.331141&spn=0.001546,0.00339&t=h&z=19

If it was truly Hwy 5, then I don't know.  Harris Ranch restaurant has a field on the right side of North bound Hwy 5, but I am not sure that runway could take a B17.  I think it's for rich ranchers landing their GA planes to get a steak lunch.

I remember once I was mowing my lawn and heard what sounded like a dozen more lawn mowers coming.  I shut down and looked up to see a TBM flying right over me at fairly low altitude.  A few days later I was driving back on base after a long day of work and heard a beautiful sound while stopped at a light.  I looked up and a Spitfire flew right in front of the car at about 200 ft alt on it's approach to the base field.  (There was an air show that weekend.)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »
It's strange, you hear aircraft flying over you every day, but when you hear that one or two you just know it's old and something you have to run outside or stop mowing the lawn to look at :aok

8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
Too bad we donīt have any working ww2-bombers here in Germany that I know off...

But almost every weekend thereīs a JU52 flying over my house. Itīs so slow it looks like it hovers in the air...the triple-engine sound is still awesome.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
this lanc flew over my place (UK) the other day

then it flew back later on

sounded amazing..

just snapped away with iphone so could not get better shots

CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
when they have airshows around DFW I can occasionally catch a 51 going over my office.  The sound is unmistakable.  Last year or the year before we kept hearing a sound like distant thunder in the office and everybody went outside to see what was going on.  I kept working.  When they came in somebody asked me if I had any idea what was going on 'The Blue Angels are probably practicing'  About then two came over and you could see them out my window.  *smug*
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
Only similar experience I've had was getting buzzed by the SPAD from Old Rhinebeck (I used to work a few miles from there) on the drive home one morning back in '04. Must have been out on a check flight or getting some stick time, went over my parked car and me eating a quick lunch at about 100 feet. Sounded like a lawnmower on steroids.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »
Probably at Harris Ranch Airport/Inn. Most likely refueling stop and/or crew got hungry...

How come they never have anything cool parked there on that runway when I drive by?  :uhoh  A B-17 parked right there would be hard for me to concentrate keeping on the road.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.