Author Topic: is this necessary  (Read 3103 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: is this necessary
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »
no, its plainly completely different from a single arena. its 2 arenas.

it gives players a choice of 2 different maps to play on.
most players prefer to play in a well-populated arena, they can chose to do this.
some players prefer to play in a less-populated arena, they can chose to do this.

edit: if the overall player numbers ever start to go up again, it also allows room for expansion so the overcrowding problems associated with the original single LW arena dont happen. there were previously too many players for just one arena at some point, hence the split.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:47:00 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
That's what we want
An arena with 200 in not 2 arenas with 100 on each
It seems only fair
The game and maps are more fun with more peeps
Fair do's guvnor
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
no, its plainly completely different from a single arena. its 2 arenas.

Yes, but effectively it will be mainly a one-arena thing (see the numbers at no-cap time, not even 10% are being found on the smaller map), almost everyone will go to the arena were the numbers are. And 750 cap amounts to no cap at all.

So we we actually would have the old huge main back in all but name.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »
Yes, but effectively it will be mainly a one-arena thing (see the numbers at no-cap time, not even 10% are being found on the smaller map), almost everyone will go to the arena were the numbers are. And 750 cap amounts to no cap at all.

So we we actually would have the old huge main back in all but name.

But if the customers choose to do that, they will be where they want to be.  What is wrong with that?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »
But if the customers choose to do that, they will be where they want to be.  What is wrong with that?

Not really.  A few customers choose they want to be in a very large arena, which leaves the other arena even smaller.  That will cause a few more to leave, and then a few more, until the thing is unplayable and everyone migrates.  It doesn't necessarily mean the customers chose for that to happen.  Having said that, ONE GIANT ARENA FTW!  :banana:

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2010, 08:59:44 AM »
yes, but importantly it allows those 10% of players to play in a less-populated arena, if they chose to do so. I guarantee there will be players in both arenas, even now when the caps are at 400 and there are only 150 in LWO there are players who prefer to play in LWB.

2 arenas also allows a large number of players to be accommodated without detriment to gameplay (ie. the original reason for the split.) hopefully the player numbers will recover to the same level as the pre-split at some point. :pray
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:46 AM »
But if the customers choose to do that, they will be where they want to be.  What is wrong with that?

Did I say it's wrong? ;)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »
do you think its wrong?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
do you think its wrong?

Let's say: I personally would love having Titanic Tuesday every day :)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:58 AM »
Not really.  A few customers choose they want to be in a very large arena, which leaves the other arena even smaller.  That will cause a few more to leave, and then a few more, until the thing is unplayable and everyone migrates.  It doesn't necessarily mean the customers chose for that to happen.  Having said that, ONE GIANT ARENA FTW!  :banana:

Kind of sounds like a few ends up being every one?  I don;t think a few people will have that effect.  Then again, it depends on your definition of a few lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »

it gives players a choice of 2 different maps to play on.

Actually, it doesn't, unless one is a pure furballer, in which case they have the entire
dueling arena to play in as they're so enamored of only doing 1 V 1 ACM stuff.
When I try to log into an arena with 101 guys in it, or one with 7 guys in it, which
do you think I'm gonna want to choose?
  The only guys in here professing happiness with the current arena cap limits are HTC rumpswabs
who bow in obeissence to anything HTC or its workers do, expounding the arena cap's virtues and
"necessity" ad infinitum.
   There's absolutely no reason to have caps when such sophmoric crap maps such as Titanic Tuesday and
the Pizza mess are being utilized. Give us some maps that'd "work" with 10 or 20 guys in it and the CAP problem
as perceived by a HUGE number of us, will cease to exist.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »
Actually, it doesn't etc ...

actually it does, unless one of the arenas has hit the fixed cap (possible at busy weekends maybe). but you wouldnt want to fly in there anyway because there would be too many players for that map.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
If I don't login before the caps, I wait 2-3 hours before I do because Orange is overfull and Blue has 10 guys within it.

It isn't the end of the world, this is a game and I have plenty of stuff I can do in that 2-3 hour time frame.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
If I don't login before the caps, I wait 2-3 hours before I do because Orange is overfull and Blue has 10 guys within it.

It isn't the end of the world, this is a game and I have plenty of stuff I can do in that 2-3 hour time frame.

What cracks me up, is seeing post after post of people saying this same thing...."I wait to login to orange because there are more people."  If you all just login to the lower arena, there soon WOULD be more people.  And, in any case MORE does not equate to BETTER.

I habitually log into the smaller arena because I can generally find 1 or 2 vs me's without issue, and don't see hordes.  I've jumped into arenas with 15 people in them during off hours and had the best times, much better than the measle fest of the other, more popular arena.  But, then again, I like having fair fights.   

Seems very lazy to complain about arena caps when they are doing exactly what they are supposed to.  :salute
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:01 AM »
but you wouldnt want to fly in there anyway because there would be too many players for that map.

... and what, pray tell, might be "too many players" on a map that has 300 fields ?