Author Topic: Rough Field AC  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Rough Field AC
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »

Ok, so lets take a P-38 for example then. landing gear still isn't inteded to hit the ground at 30 degrees off the verticle. I have no doubt that a P-38's landing gear would break under those conditions. Its 17000lbs of fighter coming down on 1-2 wheels in that situation, one of those being the nose wheel.

Whatever point you're trying to make is lost since you're comparing a plane with a tricycle landing gear against a tail dragger.  In addition, the scenario you painted for the one with the tricycle gear is so off the mark I can't even fathom how you made that stretch. 

By the way, where did you get your figures for the landing gears on the P-38?  Not from any book, that's for sure.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: Rough Field AC
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
You're right, I know the P-38 is a bad example. I was just throwing stuff out there because he had all these examples of when spits didn't opperate off rough strips, but nothing that (IMO) would justify having spits disabled at a rough field.

But thats besides the point. I don't think HTC is going to let us lift planes from some strip of dirt out in the middle of no where.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:43:31 PM by Nemisis »
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th