Author Topic: Homemade Throttle  (Read 16321 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Homemade Throttle
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 06:23:10 AM »
alright Shida

£25 6 bottles of sunny delight and a photo of Bruv in the bath :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »
Nice throttle  :aok

On the patenting - now that the design has been made public, doesn't that automatically void any patent applications on this thing?

I don't think so. This would count as a record with a time stamp of him developing the concept. It would only be a problem if someone files a patent on this before him and it is granted. Then it gets tricky.
Who is John Galt?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
We had all the European patents stored in our archive at work.
Thousands of red boxes full of patents.

We also had original plans  for the first railways built in Britain. :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »
Now where was I? Oh yes, bespoke throttles. Now I’ve finished my degrees and Tiny Shida is at school, I find finishing my throttle has jumped up my todo list from the thousands to somewhere into the low hundred zone. Actually I want to finish my custom joystick so finishing the throttle first makes a sort of weird sense.

This plate:

...actually had a purpose. Because I used a ballraced-core, I never wanted to use a friction device. The obvious alternative being a counterbalance. Further not wanting to use lead or depleted Uranium, I bought some Bismuth off eBay, which is an interesting material. I made a pattern out of slices of plastic card, and then made a mould of that out of Milliput, which is an epoxy modelling putty from Wales, isn’t it. Lovely. The melting point of Bismuth was way above the temperature the manufacturers said Milliput could take, but the kevlar and German helmet with the spike on top wasn’t needed in the end (always good to have though). I melted it in a Mrs. Shida's favourite saucepan with a blow lamp and poured it in.

Here’s where it sits in the throttle:

I had painted it gold at one point. I wanted to make a joke to Pervert that I’d cast it out of Nazi gold, but he got PNGed and the paint tarnished so never mind.

Next the ball from the ‘balls-to-the-wall’ fame. It isn’t a full-size Pool ball, it was a keyring. But it’s still heavy, too heavy for the counterbalance. I’d also considered fitting a momentary switch up there for a trigger or blip switch perhaps. I’ve got a Dremel now, so decided to remove some dead weight:-

Unfortunately it still doesn’t quite balance and I dare not remove any more material. It’s just about as hollow as the Klingon moon Praxis and I don’t want to risk an interstellar incident. I was sure the Bismuth would be enough but such is the leverage advantage. Right now I can see some light through the wall so it looks like I’ll have to rebuild the left side cover (again) to accommodate some more weight. Perhaps some bolt-on steel plates this time because then I can trim the balance.

This was the cover I made for the counterbalance:

Which I sawed off the outer half of the right cover figuring one additional analogue control was enough. AH doesn’t do mixture anyway. Those cylinders are actually the turret bases off the Tamiya 1:35th scale M42 Duster models and I've bought two so far. Buggered if I'll buy a third! Have to find some way to extend it with some more basic raw materials. I should imagine some heat, cunning and imaginative application of kitchen implements will be required. Usually is.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
cool wtg. nicely crafted
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
Regarding the secondary analogue control, I sawed this off the MS Sidewinder which forms the core of my joystick project (as it was superfluous).

Sorry that last picture's a bit out of focus. If the little red finger-slider looks familiar, it’s not because it’s off a Moog 9000 Lady Gaga edition Super voice mangler mixing desk. I actually made a mould from an aluminium pencil sharpener and then hot pressed a blob of red plastic from a motorcycle kit into it. Also a Tamiya. I'm a sucker for Tamiya. Anyway it feels great!

There's also an outer cover and I'm now busy moving the digital electronics to a dedicated box because my custom joystick can do some really tricky things but I need to develop that.

At this stage I know what you're thinking. Is nrshida mad? Was it worth it? Well I stall fight a Ki-84 when I'm in game and having the world's most uber / precise throttle certainly helps with that. To the point where I even use Cadance throttle sometimes. The unit was mostly made of scrap parts and cheap(ish) raw materials. So was essentially 'free' or near to it. Hasn't cost as much time as this thread suggests. Bit of an on and off thing. Mostly new work starts with cleaning dust of it.

I’ve used it essentially continuously since the first post. It's never had any maintenance, grease, or major repair or even a single recalibration. Eat your heart out Saitek, CH, Logitech…

I'm spent. Think I'll have a lie down now for another seven years until I do some more work on it. Maybe even sooner! Hope this was inspirational or at least a bit entertaining.  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »
Erm, as suggested by a friend I trust my last two posts are not a forum rule violations? Necrobumping or punting was something like making a non-substantive post I thought?

Seemed logical to continue this here.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
Erm, as suggested by a friend I trust my last two posts are not a forum rule violations? Necrobumping or punting was something like making a non-substantive post I thought?

Seemed logical to continue this here.

And I agree.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »
well done on finishing it shida.  perv has other forum accounts so he would still see it.

do you still need a photo of me in the bath??
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2017, 03:49:08 AM »
Well finished is a big word! Lol. But it's worked well for a long time. Wait til you see my joystick, that's completely left field!

do you still need a photo of me in the bath??

Thanks Bruv but Zack already put a laminated one in the GFC Officer's Club toilet some years ago. He said it's best to have that sort of thing wipe clean. I'm sure he and Yarbles knows what that means. I just play Cabaret Voltaire very loud on my Sony Walkman when they start talking like that. Pipz sits in the corner rocking and crying. Yup, never a dull moment.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »
Well finished is a big word! Lol. But it's worked well for a long time. Wait til you see my joystick, that's completely left field!

Thanks Bruv but Zack already put a laminated one in the GFC Officer's Club toilet some years ago. He said it's best to have that sort of thing wipe clean. I'm sure he and Yarbles knows what that means. I just play Cabaret Voltaire very loud on my Sony Walkman when they start talking like that. Pipz sits in the corner rocking and crying. Yup, never a dull moment.

Sounds like the GFC is the place to be.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Sounds like the GFC is the place to be.

Standard.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »
Now then. I said in 2014 I'd do some more work in about 7 years, so I'm actually two years early.

First let me figure out this non Photobucket picture posting...
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »

Oh no that's my dinner. Is there any way to obtain a link without an additional post?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-