Author Topic: New Sandy Bridge motherboards defective  (Read 625 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
New Sandy Bridge motherboards defective
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
Heads up to anyone planning to get one or who already got one: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20030070-64.html
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Sandy Bridge motherboards defective
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »
newegg pulled them off the market completely.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:26:42 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »
Yep I've got one sitting on the shelf.  Through some misfortunes of luck I managed not to install it yet.  Should have had it installed 3 weeks ago over the 3 day MLK weekend, but the delivery guy attempted during the 1 hour I wasn't home and I didn't get it until after the day I planned to install it.  Two weekends ago was bad for me, and this past weekend I planned on it only to find out I needed a USB floppy drive to do the F6 thing to install drivers, a regular flash drive won't cut it.  The USB floppy drive is supposed to arrive from Newegg tomorrow, but Snowmaggedon 2011 will likely get in the way.

So now I'm waiting to see what Asus is going to do for me.  I bought my motherboard from ExcaliberPC and their return policy clearly states that the motherboard is now irrevocably the business of Asus and myself, not them (only 14 day return period).  I will probably end up installing it as planned though, Asus normally will send you a replacement and let you install it before sending the bad one back during the first year of the warranty.

But what of the sata problem?  I run 4 hard drives, two in a Raid 1 mirror, two independent, and two sata optical drives.  My motherboard (the Evo) has exactly 6 sata connections that should be unaffected by the problem, if I use the two external sata connections.  So I'm good there, for now.  No room for expansion, and its an ugly solution.  If I can verify claims of no chance of data corruption, I may just use the "bad" sata ports to force the error, to occur to guarantee I can replace the motherboard eventually, depending on what Asus says.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
fwiw, this is SATA3, not SATA6. this is supposed to be old tech!
6-series are on 65nm (AMD's 890GX chipsets released a year ago are at 55nm.)
whatever happened to intel on this one? this defect according to news, will cost them
more than the Pentium FDIV bug.  :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh

charlie has an interesting behind the scenes look.
and no, anadtech only swallows what intel feeds him. the blind sheeple.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:26:55 AM by Skuzzy »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »
fwiw, this is SATA3, not SATA6. this is supposed to be old tech!
6-series are on 65nm (AMD's 890GX chipsets released a year ago are at 55nm.)
whatever happened to intel on this one? this defect according to news, will cost them
more than the Pentium FDIV bug.  :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh

charlie has an interesting behind the scenes look.
and no, anadtech only swallows what intel feeds him. the blind sheeple.

To avoid confusion it should be noted that SATA 1 = 1.6Gbit/s SATA2 = 3.0 Gbit/s and SATA3 = 6.0 Gbit/s. There is no such thing as SATA6, that would be the 6th generation and likely 48 Gbit/s. Current fastest interface is SATA3 with 6.0 Gbit/s speed.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »
gives me more time to save my cans to buy it :).  it will still gonna be awesome to have that processor with whatever mobo they decide to mess up next month.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.