Author Topic: can we please...  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Tazz69

• Zinc Member
Re: can we please...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
I agree, new GV's are needed. I still vote that HTC adds the Panzer Mk V (Panther). And yes, the M-18 wouldn't be bad either, but, Panzer Mk V first. :aok

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »
now you've done it, here come the B-29 threads.

well, there really have not been one in a while.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »
I didnt even read the post, but say YES since you said Please....  :)

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »
You just got the M4's. You aren't a master tanker yet. Sit down.

So? You flyboys just got the new mossie. Why does a new GV in the past year automaticly mean GV's get shoved to the bottom of the list?
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
So? You flyboys just got the new mossie. Why does a new GV in the past year automaticly mean GV's get shoved to the bottom of the list?
They didn't need to be shoved far.  :devil
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »
Lol Plazus, those are individual planes, not aspects in the air war (I guess roles would be a better word).

Of course. We have the EW, MW, and LW arenas. If the game is lacking in aircraft from the EW and MW timeframes, do you truly have an accurate representation of that era? No. By adding in more aircraft relevant to those timeframes, you expand the aspects in air war, or "roles" as how you would put it. My point is, the EW and MW in Aces High is lacking due to limited planeset. Therefore, IMO, more aircraft should be added, as the "aerial combat" is the bread and butter of Aces High.

Adding more aircraft is a worthy investment, IMO, since the majority of players fly rather than drive.

Why does a new GV in the past year automaticly mean GV's get shoved to the bottom of the list?

Under what notion do you think that GVs are automatically shoved to the bottom of the list? HTC never said such a thing. If it pains you that much over the limited GV selection, you should seriously look at playing a different game.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
My point isn't that the aircraft line up is perfect, just that the GV line up is even worse.

OK, they don't officially get put at the bottom of the waiting list, but it seems most think we should get another eight aircraft before they cab deign to give the GV's a turn.

It feels like the sole argument against most GV's consits of: "well, we JUST got the new M4's." Followed by: "what I want is a new plane, maybe the..." when we just got the new mossie. A little unfair, IMO, even if the game's main focus is on aircraft.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 03:57:34 AM »
now you've done it, here come the B-29 threads.

Give B29!
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
Ok, so we get a shiny new He-111. The EW and MW and AvA guys (all 150 or so them) are thrilled, along with the FSO guys.

For the remaining players (and the majority in terms of population) in the LW arenas, she's a novelty for a little while then is relegated to Hanger Queen status.

Nothing against the aircraft - but that's sadly the bitter truth.

Where we're at - at this point in time - is finding an option for a new aircraft with a useful purpose that offers some survivability in the LW arena. It doesn't have to be an uber-plane, but it does have to do something slightly better than what we already have. The new Mossie carries a big bomb and goes really fast - there's your edge. An A-26 Invader will do the exact same thing the A-20 already does, but it would do it faster and with fighter-like qualities once light. A worthwhile argument, along with lots of other aircraft on our lists.

GVs - yes, this is a flying game. But GV and ground operations are still a critical part of this game, and appear (at least to me anyway) to be growing in popularity. Its part of the evolution of a battle in AH. Someone rolls a GV, a plane takes off to find GV, someone ups a plane to counter the other plane, and before we know it, we have a full-fledged battle of tanks and aircraft on our hands (which, iirc, is what we want, right?).

There are also several other factors to consider. Why isn't torpedo bombing popular? Because its suicide most of the time, auto-ack and 5" guns don't allow you to get close enough to the CV group in most cases. Its also because we've determined that diving in with a P-47 from 10K is a better option, or Lanctarding. So there's no reason then to add a Swordfish or SB2C, or Jill or Kate or Val - because there's other aircraft that can do the same thing - better. So how do we compensate to make these aircraft viable options in AH? Reduce the effectiveness of ack? Change the loadout options on the fighters to reduce their jabo-ability? Any of those suggestions will draw the ire of the members of this board.

Second is the limited aspect of the game at this point - we don't have any reason to pick up downed players, so there's no reason for light aircraft or floatplanes, Piper Cubs or PBYs. The Kawanishi Rex is probably the only aircraft we could justify as a floatplane fighter in LW, but you have to jettison your float in order to be competitive against Ponys and Spits and LAs. The Rufe might be a decent idea in EW/MW, but unless the aircraft has a defined purpose (which the Rufe doesn't), no one will use it.

The same holds true for artillery - unless we have the ability to target a base or town with accurate artillery fire, its not necessarily going to be more effective than an M4 with HE rounds. The ability to target from the air, something we don't have, would justify the ability to have a Storch, Piper, or Auster AOP. Unless there's a perk process involved with using those aircraft for that purpose, most people aren't going to fly them.

With regards to GVs, there always has to be a hierarchy on the battlefield. Right now, its the Tiger. Its the hardest thing to kill, or at least its supposed to be. So we introduce the Panther - comparable to the Tiger overall scope. Its 75mm gun has a faster muzzle velocity and straighter trajectory, its more maneuverable than a Tiger in terms of speed, faster turret traverse, and if we factored in mechanical reliability, it would be superior to the Tiger I. The Tiger was feared because of its 88, not necessarily because of us its armor (although that was certainly a strong contributing factor to its reputation).

Unfortunately, staying alive in AH is not a priority as it was in real life - so shooting a Tiger in your M8 or WW is going to continue, regardless. So we want something to kill the Tiger - an M-18 can do that - but sacrifices armor protection for speed. That makes for a valid argument, but so would an M-36, M4A3E8, etc.

An SdKfz with a 40mm field gun might be useful for town killing - but no one uses the 251 at this point in the game for that. So perhaps we look at an SdKfz 250/9 with a 20mm gun for AA protection, a smaller, faster target with a decent punch against aircraft. Using it for troop hauling is moot - its smaller than the M3 and only 2mph faster (47mph vs. 45mph for M3), so it has to serve a specific purpose - its as fast as the M16 - meaning you get there faster than a WW, but only carries a single gun. Does that constitute a balance worth implementing into the game? This opens the argument for a recon tank - useful for taking down AA and ATG at a base prior to the tanks arriving. Yes, we have the M8, but an M3/M5 or M-24 would offer better survivability against base ack or soft guns. Even an 8-Rad would be useful, basically an overgrown M8, but with all sorts of weapons to add - 20mm, 50mm, and 75mm guns. Speed versus armor versus firepower...not a bad idea if you're considering balance of gameplay.

Adding additional GVs at this point gives us more options - but still keeps us within the boundaries of something we already have - just in a different colored box. Adding in the JS-2 and King Tiger and Pershing would raise the bar, but they'll require serious perking since the overwhelming types of vehicles on the battlefield at this point are M4s, T-34/85s and Panzers. Tank destroyers offer the ability to kill more effectively - but unless there's a perceived benefit of survivability - such as a low profile - making it harder to see and hit, finding that balance will be problematic.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:20:20 AM by JHerne »
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »
....And the box of Alpha Bits is empty after that post.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 02:26:45 PM »
Herne, an SdKfz 251/22 would be better than one with a 40mm field gun (was there even such a thing  :uhoh?). It could serve the same purpose, would have better HE rounds, and you wouldn't be whistiling in the dark if you try to take out tanks on top of that.

An SdKfz 251/23 would be more effective than a /9. It has 3x 20mm cannons, and would probably be used about as much as the WW IMO. No AA vehicle has hyms sung to its survivability, so you might as well take the ability to more effectively escape bomb blasts at the cost of 1 20mm cannon.

As to the heavy tanks, and tank destroyers thing,

IS-2: perk the hell out of it (75 base price)
Koinstiger: perk the hell out of it (100 base price)
Perishing: heavily perk it (40-50 base price)

These would dominate the current tanks in about the same way the Tiger I dominates the M4(75) or T-34. The Tank destroyers mount large caliber guns in a fixed casement, limiting their traverse. Their advantage is that some would be either harder to see, faster, or able to slug it out with the tanks in open combat. Some would need to be perked for the same reason as the tanks, while others should have a small perk or be free, seeing as they wouldn't be very effective agains the heavy tanks.

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
Sorry I killed so many alpha bits....

The tank destroyer principle is a valid one - depending on what level of tank destroyer you chose to create.

A Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV/L48, JpIV/L70, M10, M36, Su-85, or even Su-100 would level the playing field nicely against our existing tankset.

If you're looking to add tanks like the Panther, King Tiger, JS-2, or Pershing, then an affordable tank destroyer to counter these vehicles must be considered as a balance. That opens up vehicles like the M-18, Jagdpanther, British A30, etc.

I suggested the 250/9 because several hundred were built - I don't have production numbers on the 251/23, but it carried the same single 20mm gun as the 222 and 250/9. Perhaps you were referring to the /21 Drilling, but again, production numbers were very low on that variant. I leaned towards the 250/9 simply because of the production numbers.

The 251/22 - that was my bad. I was actually referring to the 75mm PaK40 but ended up typing 40mm instead. Too many brain cells killed off recently.
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
and the StuGIII with the long barrel 75
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
British A30 never saw combat IIRC. And the Jagdpanzer L'70 would be capable of killing panthers, koinstigers, or IS-2's. Not sure about the Su-100, but I think it was capable of killing them at combat ranges (haven't found any penetration tables I trust).

Ah, rgr. Never could find production numbers for the SdKfz 251/21 (which is what I meant).

Also, wouldn't mind the Puma (the 8 rad you were talking about). Would let fun to scammper around in one, killing things much bigger than me.

StuG III Ausf F or G would be nice as well. Still, if one must come first, I'd rather get the hetzer.

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
British tank designations are sometimes misleading...

The A30 Challenger (about 200 built) saw extensive service in 1944 and 45, but the A30 Avenger arrived too late to see combat.

The Challenger carried a heavy closed-top turret on a Cromwell chassis, while the Avenger had an open-top turret similar in concept to the M-10, M-18. A 17lb. gun on relatively fast chassis would be nice.

J
Primary Cause of Angst