Author Topic: Troubleshooting A video card?  (Read 433 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Troubleshooting A video card?
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:11:15 AM »
I had to pull my 9800 gt  from BFG (of course)  just to get back into my system, and am now pluged into my motherboard to get into my computer,   I am not sure if I have a driver problem or if the card went bad,
I have a driver issue message and i think it is for the 9800,
I should have had plenty of power to pull it, I had no problem with any of this for over a year running 650 power supply, had no temp problems at all,, the highest i saw was 63 C on the cpu and I had since cleaned its fan and put everything back together, the 9800 never got hot that i could tell, around 52C

not sure what to do really,
 should i put the card back in but not hook my monitor to it to see if I can load the drivers ?
 will that even work?
 when this failure happened I got a locked up screen and the sound just stayed running, my keys would not work, i could not shut down without killing the power supply and upon restarting I had some power to my systems but not to everything, example" my lights on my saitek controllers would come on but the screen on them would not, not mouse control light, no video, fnas in case running,,, i tried to get back up and running, doing so many times and having some success, but until i removed the card and hooked up to my motherboard, it never acted right,,, now it runs fine.
any advice or suggestions ?
Flying since tour 71.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: Troubleshooting A video card?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
Ok i put the card back in and my machine won't even boot,, the card warmed up a bit and i had lights on my controller but not anything on my screen,  i looked with it hooked up to both the MB and the VC so i truned it back off removed the card and my PC started up just fine,  I am guessing it is the VC   still anyone with a clue might chime in!  thanks!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
Video cards cetainly can go bad, as can power supplies.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
If you have another computer I would try the card in that one. If it works then you know it your power supply.

And also do not install the newest drivers from what I understand they are having problems with them.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail