Author Topic: Pick discussion  (Read 10054 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pick discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
My squad wings alot, more specifically Rotte tactics.

Therefore we get into alot of situations where I have dove in on a con, killed him, drug another con up while Dutch or Jonah come and bag him. Then we start over at the top again with all of the seals down below, each of us having 1 kill now.

I get called a pick tard all of the time for this. But my opinion is there are three different types:

1) Wingmanned as I illustrated before.

2) Tomagina style: stay high come down for no reason but to run.

3) Uber plane above the rest in a furball, not necessarily staying high the whole time just staying fast gettin the easy ones.

Of these 3, I look down on the 2nd one. The rest in my book, are ok. When people tell me on 200 "nice pick dweeb", I reply, "No sir, u were wingmanned"

perdweeb

EDIT: Spelling
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
My squad wings alot, more specifically Rotte tactics.

Therefore we get into alot of situations where I have dove in on a con, killed him, drug another con up while Dutch or Jonah come and bag him. Then we start over at the top again with all of the seals down below, each of us having 1 kill now.

I get called a pick tard all of the time for this. But my opinion is there are three different types:

1) Wingmanned as I illustrated before.

2) Tomagina style: stay high come down for no reason but to run.

3) Uber plane above the rest in a furball, not necessarily staying high the whole time just staying fast gettin the easy ones.

Of these 3, I look down on the 2nd one. The rest in my book, are ok. When people tell me on 200 "nice pick dweeb", I reply, "No sir, u were wingmanned"

perdweeb

EDIT: Spelling

You tell them that after a #3?  :lol  That is the definition of a lame pick.  Hover above and wait for someone to get in trouble.  The only skill involved in it is getting there latter.  I bet if a higher con appears you take a #2?  :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
well if 2 guys are of to the side of the world in a 1v1 and you interfere then that to me is dweebish. even if your friendly askes for help, if he entered the 1v1 then he should see it through to its end.

but in the midst of a furball, base invation/defence or when its your wingman and those are your intended tactics then hey all is fair.

That's about how I see it.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
Most of you do not realize that picking dates back to the 17th century. Way before planes were invented.

One only had to climb the mast and wait in the sails till the other vessel was close in. Then jump on a guy on the deck of the other ship. It was a dangerous proposition as you might get damaged in the process. Not to mention you would probably get ganged even after a successful pick.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
Most of you do not realize that picking dates back to the 17th century. Way before planes were invented.

One only had to climb the mast and wait in the sails till the other vessel was close in. Then jump on a guy on the deck of the other ship. It was a dangerous proposition as you might get damaged in the process. Not to mention you would probably get ganged even after a successful pick.

Ok, now you're just trying too hard.   ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
I generally try to follow these rules :

#1. If it's 1v1 away from a fight, I might hover around the area to watch, and likely vox the friendly pilot asking if they need help. If no answer, or a "no", I won't. If "yes" then I dive on in.

#2. If it's a 1v1 away from a fight, but a squaddie, I'm comin in. :neener:

#3. If there are 3 enemies or more, ESPECIALLY if there's only 1 or 2 friendlies chances are I'm joinin the scrum, no notice, no warning.

In the MA, IMO any pick is "fair game", even against a 1v1. But it's "fair game" in the same way as pretending you don't see the elderly woman juggling 2 heavy grocery bags on the train so you don't give up your seat - there's no law against it, but it doesn't say much for your character.  Unless you are just too new to have learned the ropes yet, of course.  So if someone does it to me, I'm not going to say anything - it's fair game and my fault for not whacking him faster.

Knite sums it perfectly, as far as I am concerned.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
i think an experiment needs to be done.

we all should wait till we see someone else in a fight....and then pick them.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
You tell them that after a #3?  :lol  That is the definition of a lame pick.  Hover above and wait for someone to get in trouble.  The only skill involved in it is getting there latter.  I bet if a higher con appears you take a #2?  :D

No, I enjoy the defensive.

90% of all kills in MA are picks anyway. So why are we keeping score?

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
Number 3 on perds little description is my style in the 152. I think there is nothing wrong with this style and have no problem implementing it. Although, you do catch grief from it.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »
I think number 3 is the worst depending on what makes the kills easy. If you're just killing planes clearly about to loose a fight, then thats not really an honest kill IMO. If, however, the kill is easy because he is at a disadvantegous possition, or just coming over the top of a loop and moving at a scorching 15mph, then go for it. One of the funnest things to do is catch planes at the top of a loop.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »
#3 is going on my resume.  :)

On a more serious note, I think everyone, with some exceptions, attempt to get atleast a couple 'easy' kills. If they wanted a challenge every single time then they wouldn't climb above 2k on the way to the fight. Contrary to some others, I like to try to make it home every sortie, but once in a while I'll just say Screw it, and go Leroy Jenkins on 'em (que B25H flying into mass horde guns blazing). Otherwise, I'll try to stay a bit more calculated, and will usually drag a con out if I want an even fight.

Offline Ump40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »

ARGGGGGHHHHH Matey! Me picked ya's fair and square, but me darn wooden leg got stuck in a hole on deck, my eyepatch slipped and me parrot crapped on me shoulder!!!
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
Yeah not all "easy" kills are picks. On my aces high tombstone it will read "They shouldn't have climbed to me."
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
Killing a bogey that is saddled by your ally is more disrespectful to your friendly than it is to the bad guy.  Of course it is definitely a tough situation a lot of the time, since most engagements are not isolated 1v1s and there are threats nearby.  For example if it is just me and a wingy and he is busy 1v1ing someone and bad guys are approaching, lets say for sake of discussion 5-8k out, if I let him have his fight, it is additional time that we could have been spending gaining energy for the impending threats.  Or... worst case scenario, he gets picked because he wants to have his fight, which leaves me alone with 3-4 of them, where had I just helped him out when I had an easy pick, we would both be alive, have a kill shared between the two of us and be ready for the next threats.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 02:42:37 AM »
I ask if the guy wants help when it's a 1 v 1.  I ask others to stay out if I'm in a 1 v 1.  My usual response is you can kill him as soon as he's done killing me.

The gray area in the MA is the furballs.  From my experience you always have a couple guys in the fastest BnZ bird they can find, who sit above the furballs and wait for the guys below to get busy.  They then come busting through, picking kills from guys who have actually done the work.  It's the nature of the beast in the MA.

Not worth getting worked up about in the end :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters