Author Topic: Broadband Speeds  (Read 313 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Broadband Speeds
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Don't remember if this has been posted before and search is not a lot of help but can somebody post a range of speeds (Up, down, and ping) that are good for gaming? 

I don't currently have any problems but I've got two OL gamers in this house, 1 360 online player, and I've got the opportunity to go up to 24 mbps for a substantial monthly savings (just have to dump four unused cable boxes and downgrade from a bunch of tv I don't watch anyway). 

Last two tests with my buddy playing WOW concurrently.

Down 17.23 mbps
Up 1.46 mbps
ping 44 ms

Thoughts or suggestions (other than the usual go stick your head in a sharks mouth dicho) greatly appreciated.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Broadband Speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
For gaming, 24 Mbps is overkill, at least 6 times over, if not 60. Where this gets less certain is when you are using steam-based games, which are constantly downloading content in advance of you playing that "segment" of the game. 

Where a higher bandwidth connection is going to be a requirement is going to be when someone decides to do something peer to peer, and or if someone wants to stream music or video, while you are playing.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Broadband Speeds
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »
Thanks Ghastly.. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute