Author Topic: colors messed up on moniter  (Read 334 times)

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
colors messed up on moniter
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »
I have a westinghouse 2210 moniter and the colors are messed up on it very light washed out.  I just bought and installed a GTX460 card and put the 2856 drivers on it and all was fine until my "friend" got on the computor the other day and adjusted the colors, now I can't get them back to where they were.  I have uninstalled the drivers for the video card, and then reinstalled them, reset the moniter which really doesn't do anything. I called galaxy and the guy there knew less than I did about this.  He sugested if reformat the machine again, just went through that last thursday/friday.  Anyone on here know how to reset the display to factory default on galaxy GTX460

thanks
ab8aac/dmdchief/aac
\
out
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: colors messed up on moniter
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »
If you haven't done so, press the "menu" button on the monitor, and chose the "reset" option from the onscreen display menu.  You might also need to check the brightness and contrast on the monitor itself, (under the OSD menu) - the manual for your monitor doesn't mention conclusively that the reset sets brightness and contrast back to default, although I'd like to believe that it would do so.

A greyish, washed out image is often the result of a GPU failure, and can be the result of a monitor failure, or (not very likely) a problem with the cable or connection.  Do you have either another system you can check the monitor with, or another monitor you can check the system with?

As a last check, if you have a Linux Live CD/DVD handy (or if you don't, you can get one real quick from the internet) you could boot that and see if the problem persists.  If it's still an issue on the Live CD, it's either monitor settings or a hardware failure with one of the two.

Is it possible that your "friend" also might have overclocked the GPU?

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
I put my old dell monitor on and the colors are fine on it.  It is a 15" lcd.  He didn't overclock the gpu that was the first thing I checked on.  I tried the reset on the side of the monitor and that did not work.  I was wondering if Vista puts some file on the computor that I can't find as when I put the monitor it goes back to the bad colors even after downloading the new beta drivers from Nvidia with the option to do a clean install.  I haven't tried putting the monitor on any other computor yet that is about the only thing I haven't elimanated.

thanks for trying to help

ab8aac/dmdchhief/aac
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »
If monitor is reset to factory defaults, then go to Nvidia control panel, switch to advanced view, go to "Adjust desktop color settings" and click on "Restore Defaults" (upper right corner).

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
I put my old dell monitor on and the colors are fine on it

This virtually guarantees that it's either the setup of the monitor (through the OSD) or that the monitor itself has failed.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue