Author Topic: I need everyone's Opinion--battle of the bridges  (Read 1878 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: I need everyone's Opinion--battle of the bridges
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
these settings will only be in place during the Event. These are not permanent settings, please realize this.

kill shooter off means you can kill your squaddies or people on the same side as you.

friendly settings-- the idea is to force you to know your enemy, thats all. its just a different twist. if everyone is against it, we dont have to do it. but i saw alot of feedback that was looking for that sort of setup.

we can compromise the ack and turn it up, just a bit, to .5 instead of .25 and that should work for everyone. most ack can't catch a FW190 doing 325+.

200 yes ill be monitoring, but i don't want to babysit either, id like to participate. watching whats said on 200 limits my involvement. the last time i spent most of my time in the tower.

you're the one workin your bellybutton off to do this........keep 200 as you said then........this way, you can be in on the action too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
I vote for MA level for ack.  I think ack should always be at MA levels.  Vulching can really sour the mood in the arena.  There should be some risk from ack for vulching.  Although I do it infrequently, I never have a problem dive bombing a field in the MA with that ack level.  Why is ack set so low here?  I think it would encourage better fights between bases if it was at MA levels.  Last night, someone was doing a vulch orbit of the runway.  

Can the Axis have the c205?  I think it is more appropriate in this setup than the last one since allies have the P51 and P38J.

Oh, as far as 200, I vote for turning it off for the staged battles. 

Chog
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:37:33 AM by a4944 »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
friendly settings-- the idea is to force you to know your enemy, thats all. its just a different twist. if everyone is against it, we dont have to do it. but i saw alot of feedback that was looking for that sort of setup.
Quit yer squawkin...I was just pointing out something that is somewhat obvious. With the friendly icon range at D600 you're still getting the effect you're after, but there is a 300 yard buffer to keep the "oops, sorry..." to a minimum.

Pushing the limits is fine, as long as you know what the limits are to begin with...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Why is ack set so low here?  

For a couple of different reasons.  First, bases on AvA maps tend to be closer together than they are on MA maps (for example, Okinawa).  Taking off into puffy ack and/or base ack was viewed as causing an unwelcome waste of time.  Second, the lower AvA population produces a larger proportion of 1 v 1 and 2 v 1 fights than the MA.  When you're engaged in such a fight it's easy to wander into someone's ack; no one viewed having a good fight ended by ack as a positive thing.  Vulching has generally not been a problem in AvA, so turning the ack down made sense.

- oldman

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
my last post was not a "Squawk" but rather a clarification.

I am not sure about this one.  If the bases are large, and both can be used to up planes, this might not be necessary.  If it is an ROE as opposed to a setting, then some folks might do it, anyway.

no aircraft will be available from second airbase. trust me!

rules of engagement? same as last time? anything else we might want to add?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
:neener: my ears are still ringing.  :neener:

Oh, only issue I can see with 200 being off limits is when someone goes to change sides for balance...friendly announcement in country channels maybe?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »

aaww now ya blew it!!!!!

never trust a man that says trust me.  :noid :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
***friendly's at D300
***killshooter OFF
D300 for friendlies and icons off for enemies is very close to no icons at all. Not sure if that and killshooter off is a good combo. I like killshooter off but would keep friendly icons at say 1500. That's 1000yds shorter than we're used too. If that works well then going lower might be worth trying.

bombers will only be able to bomb target base, and area gv's. supporting bases will be off limits.
Why wouldn't you want supporting bases as viable targets? More assets to protect and more targets to attack. I suspect we'll have enough players to support a slightly expanded battle area. I think it would keep things interesting because it would allow for some element of surprise.

As for 200, if it makes your job a little easier and allows you some more playing time go for it bud.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
  Vulching has generally not been a problem in AvA, so turning the ack down made sense.

The Fuzzy Face Shooters squad has decided to prove otherwise.  Rammey, Hoey and Vultchy have been living up to their names real well in there.  Theirs and a couple others vulching last night was just pathetic.  Even with the light ack they were spending time clearing out the ack guns so they could vulch without being fired at.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
Are they accepting applications.  I think I qualified last night  :P
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline JC67

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
that setup is fine with me.. i dont fire over 600 in AvA anyways, and i have a flatscreen i can use instead of this monitor so i can see them planes better....cant wait  :x :x :x :x :x

You cant shoot anyone down if you aint in the air.
Ava Arena JC67-36th\ FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
The Fuzzy Face Shooters squad has decided to prove otherwise.  Rammey, Hoey and Vultchy have been living up to their names real well in there.  Theirs and a couple others vulching last night was just pathetic.  Even with the light ack they were spending time clearing out the ack guns so they could vulch without being fired at.
Were they trying to take the base?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 12:51:23 PM »

i've actually had a couple of decent fights with rammey, and not seen him vulch yet. i've seen vultchey trying the other night in a 110....i shot him with a field gun.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
bombers will only be able to bomb target base, and area gv's. supporting bases will be off limits.
I am not sure about this one.  If the bases are large, and both can be used to up planes, this might not be necessary.  If it is an ROE as opposed to a setting, then some folks might do it, anyway.

I was not questioning your intent on preventing aircraft from using the second airfield.

The point was that the restriction on bombing only the target fields (the gv bases, I presume) would not be necessary if both airfields were large (more ords to keep down) and both had aircraft enabled.

If the restriction on bombing only the target field is not in the settings, then people may do it any way.  That is, if it is physically allowed in the settings, someone may do it.  Not everyone will be reading the MOD. 

Out of curiosity, how many folks dropped in last Tuesday without knowing the set up?

i've actually had a couple of decent fights with rammey, and not seen him vulch yet. i've seen vultchey trying the other night in a 110....i shot him with a field gun.  :devil
Our names have to reflect how we play?  Then I should be known as "Crashy" or "Burny."
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
If that's true perhaps I should change the spelling of mine to Dieko
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute