Author Topic: WinXP anyone  (Read 1069 times)

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WinXP anyone
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2001, 11:22:00 PM »
bill gates played warbirds looks like he plays ah also.

Offline RobertC

• Zinc Member
WinXP anyone
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2001, 12:47:00 AM »
You can get a cracked version of XP from any number of warez newsgroups. And activation is disabled as well.

Don't worry. Bill can afford it.

Zero  ;)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
WinXP anyone
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2001, 04:52:00 AM »
Just upgraded from 2K server to XP pro at work on 3 systems (Yep, was a big hairy scare  ;) ) .. everithing running fine right now (Although, I only see it as a user, I am not the one fiddling with Active directories, Services & such...)

This is what I noticed so far:

• Starting up /shutdown seem faster.
  • Layout needs getting used to, but no big deal.
  • Improved stability (I'm on a sh**y Intel i810 board with integrated Gfx, and it now only crashes 2-3 times/day instead of 15-20!)
  • Windoze Update is verry nicely integrated (It downloaded the drivers all by itself when I upgraded! classy!)
Haven't tried any games yet, I'd like to know how AH runs on it before I get a copy at home  :)

PS: Kieran, I think with the pro version they only start bugging you 45 days after install.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
WinXP anyone
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
XP has some nice stuff for a home user.  It's a great little OS that builds on the stability and performance of Win2k.

Skuzzy,

I agree, if you are running Win2k SP2, there is really no good reason to upgrade.  Win2k is so good right now, I have no reason to mess with it.

Also, your Win98 machines are so stable because you very carefully and skillfully select the hardware that goes into them, and set them up properly.  There is nothing wrong with 98 inherently, it just is not as robust as Win2k so it doesn't tolerate misconfiguration, flaky hardware, flaky drivers, and craploads of applications as well as Win2k does.  My Win98 machine (I have one at home) runs perfectly fine as well... probably for the same reason yours does.  :)  I bet Bloom25's would run pretty well too.

My recommendation:  If you have Win9x... XP is a great upgrade in 6 months.  Don't do it right now.  If you are buying a new machine I'd go for it rather than upgrade later.  If you have Win2k your likely good for at least a year.  Heck, with the installed base and driver support, I'd even say that Win2k is a better gaming OS than XP right now.  That will change in 6 months though.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
WinXP anyone
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
Ya, you are probably right Lephturn.  Now that I think about it,....at last years CON, I was really surprised how many of the guys systems did not have any of the updates from MS at all.
I have to admint, the Windows update site is pretty nice.  MS did a good job there.  Only thing that can go wrong is if the catalog of what MS thinks you have and what you really have does not match, then you are hosed.  To fix that I remove the catalog every 3 months or so and re-download the whole mess of updates again.  Not a task for the timid, I assure you.
Other than keeping the OS up to date, I do manually clean the registry out with each software removal.  And you are correct, I am very picky about my hardware and software.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
WinXP anyone
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
I was reading somewhere that WindowsXP will not be available as an upgrade... wish I could remember where.

It seems MS is going to make each version a full version from now on with no upgrade options.

AKDejaVu

I saw an Upgrade to XP in best buy the other day for a little over $100. I didnt look hard at it so I dont know what OS's it would upgrade from.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
WinXP anyone
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
From what I've read, XP deals very poorly with removable hard disks. Imagine hot-desking with a removable HDD and having to reactivate each time... Now imagine this at a site not on the Internet where the answers to most questions are, "I'm sorry, I can't tell you."

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
WinXP anyone
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
WinXP Pro does not have the Activation crap.

*cough*  WinXP Pro for $25 *cough*

Email me at aferens@hotmail.com, I will give you a link.  These guys are trustworthy...have ordered several times from them before.  As I said, email me at the adress shown above.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Rendar ]