Author Topic: Though on skin rotation.  (Read 712 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Though on skin rotation.
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
HiTech was worried that he will replace skins used by squad COs.

Why not put a poll out to the Squadron COs in-game to ask them what skins they fly on their historical aircraft?
Strokes

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Re: Though on skin rotation.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »
Thats fine by me, but they could easily (I think) introduce a new category of plane, I assume we're talking mustangs, and called them Mustang IV's and allocate the new skins to that category.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:00:54 AM »
My idea goes like this:

Every player should be able to download and use the 15 skins per plane that they want.  That way, they are able to see everyone else who uses that skin, and the skins they don't have downloaded will be seen as the default skin.  This eliminates a need for a skin rotation and will allow COs to inform their squaddies what skins to download, etc.  I think of it as a skin "bank."  Every skin that is made, it goes to the "Download" page, then the idividual chooses their skins.  The only change there would need to be, I think, is the naming of the skins (instead of P38G_1 it would need to be the FG/FS and the "name" of the aircraft [i.e. "Corky Jr.]).  This would also enable skinners to skin more skins for the same aircraft and add them to the "bank."  (Lord knows there's only 100 requests for P-51 skins, etc...)

Opinions?

#S#

Banshee7
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:04:03 AM by Banshee7 »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »
I think your idea may be the best compromise WRT number of custom skins desired vs what the game currently supports.  The only disadvantage I see is everyone won't always see the skin you've selected.   But that is already true if you're flying around someone who hasn't downloaded custom skins anyway. 

The advantage of allowing 15 skins of the player's choice is huge - squads could actually coordinate skin downloads so that each member of the squad could use a unique skin within squad colors. 

Terrain-specific skin lists could be developed so that, for example, Pacific-themed Mustangs or Spitfires could be excluded by choice from Euro-terrains.

I really like the idea.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:27:28 PM »
Thanks Oboe.

I've had this idea for a while, but I never thought about sharing it.  It would be great to fly some of the skins that may take years to make it into the rotation.  There are some really nice skins out there that no one will see in a while.  Plus, as I mentioned, it pretty much frees skinners from the restraints of having a plane that already has "too many skins."  You can never have too many skins :)

Maybe Skuzzy or someone will see this.

#S#

Banshee7
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Heard a similar idea a while back, and supported it too! The only complaint from that was "But i want my enemy to see my pink plane"  :rolleyes:

+1 Though!

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Heard a similar idea a while back, and supported it too! The only complaint from that was "But i want my enemy to see my pink plane"  :rolleyes:

+1 Though!

Thought I recognized my brilliant idea.. and yeah that was the only complaint, but he needs to complain, so we can overlook it.  :aok
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
Thought I recognized my brilliant idea.. and yeah that was the only complaint, but he needs to complain, so we can overlook it.  :aok

I wasn't sure if someone else had thought of this (obviously someone had to within the thousands that play this game), but I'm glad it is someone who actually knows about skins and what they're doing that shared this idea.

#S#

Banshee7
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »
As much as others would hate the idea, the 51s are some of the most documented planes from WWII, and even though they are the say monster (mostly) I'd like to see them seperated out by B,C,D, and K models.  That gives skinners 30 more planes to build.  Probably won't happen, but would be nice.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:41:42 AM »
I'd love to see early version 51B and D added - the bird-cage canopy B and the D without the tail fillet.   Would add another 30 skin slots but also make the game more accurate historically.