Author Topic: Skins?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Skins?
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
I my self have no idea how to skin a plane and I don't have the time or the intelect to figure it out.
I also have no idea what or how HT and company have/need to do to add a skin in the game?

I think it's pretty cool what the skinners do! :)  
I like the history aspect the most. If I get an interest in some ones project,
I will try to lend a hand.

I have a few questions.....

1. What has to be done to add a skin in game? exp:Does it have to be coded or overlay-ed or..... in?
excuse me "Coaded"  :)

2. What makes it hard to have more than X number of skins per plane in the game? "space, time it takes..."

3. Does each skin have to be added to the game separately?

4. Could we have a rotational block of skins every 3-6 months? Or a rotational blocks of the popular planes?
       <This would increase the number of skins x2 or x4.>

Many or most squads flew more than one style of fighter! You could make it so squads would not lose there skin each rotation.... but it just might be represented differently on another plane..... exp: 51b-51d...47d11-47d40  or 39d-38j<god forbid>... hurri-spit-typh.

Each block of planes could be rotated in on a schedule < exp: Jan1 and July1> and all the "Squads" would  have a skin representing them  in the game.

Just askin,
 :salute

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:24:17 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
Re: Skins?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,108740.0.html

That should pretty much tell you all you need.

[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,108740.0.html

That should pretty much tell you all you need.

Actually that doesn't answer one question, that tells me what you need to do to submit a skin.

What does HT have to do after that to place it in the game?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:02:59 AM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »

Actually that doesn't answer one question, that tells me what you need to do to submit a skin.

This won't tell you anything either, but:

It takes twice as long to rotate a skin into the game as it does to insert a new skin.  It is also difficult to rotate skins as there are many squads in the game who standardize on a skin, so we have to be cautious about which skins we rotate out.

Next worse thing is updating an existing skin.  Almost as bad as a rotation, but without the need to be concerned if a skin is being used or not.

I have a hard enough time dealing with the fifty different ways skins are submitted.  It is a wonder there are not more mistakes made than there are.

I have an idea on how to make this all work better, but I have to do it while working around skin submissions.  Might take a year or two to get done.

Seems at the very least time consuming.  Defiantly not plug-n-play.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 07:40:42 PM »

They don't just plop the bitmaps in. They combine them into a package and then host that package on their server. They then upload the skins drop-box list in the hangar to point to the new skins. It's solely controlled on the HTC side.