Author Topic: flaps usage and compression  (Read 1731 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: flaps usage and compression
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »
Good points Ardy123. I believe Lulu is Japanese from prior conversations a few years ago but that may have been a different Lulu. I asked if he was the same one and I think he said he was but I'm not positive we were understanding each other. I think his current use of "compression" is likely caused by a translation tool rather than the lack of one.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
i'm not trying to be a wise arse here.....but if you did a search on flap usage in the p-38, you will find a ton of useful information......there was a 20 page thread on it not too long ago......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
Cap we could answer most help questions by saying "search for it" but it's not good policy and it's really more helpful to post a link to the thread that answers the specific question being asked.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »
try this link. it starts off talking about the dive recovery flaps, but i think it goes into the combat flaps too.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,27432.0.html

there are others, but i'm at work, and being a bad bad boy posting in here when i should be doing estimates for customers.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »
 I think LuLu is confussing compression and buffeting,while your unlikely to experence compression at speed that you can deploy flaps you can certainly experence buffeting and the  effects of buffeting ingame are similar to the ingame effects of compression.

You wont get the lockup of control surfaces that happens with comprssion but you can get the shuddering of the buffet effect,which is similar but not the same. This may be causing the confussion and misuse of terms.

Maybe Badboy can jump in with his excellent graph that shows the diminissing return that you get from flap usage.

In his graph it shows that if you deploy more than 2 notches of flaps the drag overcomes the lift and this has a drastic affect on the turn rate.

I hope this helps.

:salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »
I think LuLu is confussing compression and buffeting,while your unlikely to experence compression at speed that you can deploy flaps you can certainly experence buffeting and the  effects of buffeting ingame are similar to the ingame effects of compression.

You wont get the lockup of control surfaces that happens with comprssion but you can get the shuddering of the buffet effect,which is similar but not the same. This may be causing the confussion and misuse of terms.

Maybe Badboy can jump in with his excellent graph that shows the diminissing return that you get from flap usage.

In his graph it shows that if you deploy more than 2 notches of flaps the drag overcomes the lift and this has a drastic affect on the turn rate.

I hope this helps.

if he's getting buffeting when he's turning, then that is warning of the onset of a stall. actually, it is the very beginning of said stall. which reminds me....i need to turn down my stall buzzer.....ride the dam thing so much, it stops me from hearing my allisons.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 12:51:26 PM »
When you use flaps and you mantain your speed too, you get an extra-lift that is difficult to handle pushing nose down.
I called 'compression' this extra-pressure and I tought that it might have been (<-- oh my God!) helpful in some ACM but I have some doubts.

TY

mobilis in mobile

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
I thought that was what you meant. I hope you understood my explanation. :D

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 07:37:17 AM »
I'm a little sad sometimes.  :rofl

I used the word 'compression' also if I knew that it was not
correct (or, say better, totally wrong) but I did not want to spent too much
time on boring vocabolary and I hoped on your ability to catch the true meaning.

ANYONE USE FLAPS IN THIS WAY OR NOT?    :bolt:

mobilis in mobile

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »
Many people use flaps to help with ACM.  Flaps don't always help. You have to use them at the right time. I can try to help you with that in the training arena.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 08:20:42 AM »
I'm a little sad sometimes.  :rofl

I used the word 'compression' also if I knew that it was not
correct (or, say better, totally wrong) but I did not want to spent too much
time on boring vocabolary and I hoped on your ability to catch the true meaning.

ANYONE USE FLAPS IN THIS WAY OR NOT?    :bolt:

flying the p-38, i use flaps almost constantly during a fight. you need to be careful with them though, as they can get you in trouble, just as fast as they can get you out of trouble.

at 250, i can drop 1 notch, which will force my nose up. now, remember up doesn't always mean "up". up means "up" to the airplanes perspective. so if you're banked 90 degrees to the right, "up" to the airplane is sideways.
 this can help with the initial turn, as it helps bring your nose to bear quicker.

when i'm in a turn fight, i use the flaps to help limit my speed coming down from a loop, if i'm trying to line up a con. i use them going up, to help me hang on the props, as i rope the con.

the first two notches produce more lift than drag. once you hit that third notch, now you're producing more drag than lift. they're still helpful though, as with the right combinations of power, control inputs, and flap usage, you can really move that airplane around.

not all airplanes have more than a single flap setting. hurricanes, and spitfires are either all the way down, or all the way up. zeros are incremental.

hope some of this helps?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Yes.

TY
mobilis in mobile