Author Topic: I am going to make a whine thread and I need your support  (Read 1700 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: I am going to make a whine thread and I need your support
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
I know HTC has said on multiple threads that the maps are on some sort of cycle. The smaller maps only last a day or 2 against the hordes where as the big ones take a bit more work.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
If you notice. FSO maps are usually set up for two countries. The MA has 3

On second thought. We could always just ditch the rooks. They're pretty useless anyway.  ;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
If you notice. FSO maps are usually set up for two countries. The MA has 3

On second thought. We could always just ditch the rooks. They're pretty useless anyway.  ;)

here here
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
I just know there are alot of talented players that make maps, sound, skins etc...and these maps are being pushed to the wayside.

The maps are not pushed to the wayside. All of the maps for the AvA, and FSO, and scenarios are specially designed for those things. They can NOT be used in the mains because they do not fit the criteria for a Main Arena map.

As Babalonian said they have very strict rules for what MUST be in a main arena map, as well as what CAN NOT be in a main arena map. They are not interchangeable.  

Skuzzy posted a list of the MA's map rotation. Whether or not they are still following that I don't know. There are 12 maps for the MA's. Some of them are reset very quickly, others linger for days.

AW had 2 maps, Pac and euro. When we came here they had 4 and the rotated at least once a week, now we have 12. I don't see anything to complain about.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:14:35 PM »
Just cancel your account but come back in 2 weeks if things don't change.

:D
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I understand a larger map is harder to win...

But on titanic tuesday we go to a single map then "supposedly 1 new one"

This has been the same maps repeating for 8 weeks. :aok

We have seen maybe 4/12 :huh

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
Why can't we use some of the awesome maps they use in FSO and AVA in the MA?

And if we have to keep rotating these same maps why do the same ones keep repeating its like it's not even random.

you can use these maps. come to the ava.

someday i might stop trying to push this arena......hell......who am i fooling...it's too much fun there. i won't stop.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »
On the subject of maps Mrmidi is giving a presentation on map making at the Con.  Hopefully it will make its way to youtube or something. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
Even still, there is no reason for maps to be back to back week in and week out...+1 for different maps!

Small maps get rolled within the day, if not within a few hours as they come into the rotation.  Large maps, being more difficult, although not impossible, takes longer than the weekly reset.

Therefore, don't roll small maps so fast or double the amount of times small maps get rotated in.

Seems the large maps are fulfilling there purpose with the amount of people on, allowing furballing and base taking while making the "winning the war" goal a challenge.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »
I remember when the sun was yellow, ground was green, sky and water was blue, airfeilds were shades of grey, brown and black. The only color you didn't want to see was red tracers past your canopy.

You guys are spoiled.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
im interested in knowing what the stats are with base captures and war wins  with the new setup vs the old set up. less map changes equal more boredom with map

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 03:08:37 AM »
When it comes to maps, it is hard to please everybody.  With the announcement last week of a newer release of the Terrain Editor, I decided to try my hand and downloaded it last Friday.  I have spent the last few days trying to get up to speed with the TE and it's idiosyncrasies and map making in general.

Four or five days later, one thing is now clear.  It is not an easy process.  It is very time consuming.  It is a long and detailed road to completion, if at all.

In going through the available material I came across a map from Greebo; a truly spectacular looking map ... and upon seeing it my immediate reaction (with all due respect to Greebo) was that it would not likely see the light of day.  When you look at that map and the time investment required and the ultimate "sanctioning" requirements of HTC ... it becomes clear that getting a new map into the -MA's- is not an easy accomplishment and it requires a very large time investment.

So, for those of you inclined to whine ... might I suggest you download the TE and get to work.   :D

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »
I remember when the sun was yellow, ground was green, sky and water was blue, airfeilds were shades of grey, brown and black. The only color you didn't want to see was red tracers past your canopy.

You guys are spoiled.

and you had to walk eight miles to school, in the snow, uphill, BOTH ways.  That said, you are correct. 

Spite... Indeed

Hey I laid out for two years and hardly anybody noticed.  Give the two weeks a shot ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »
and you had to walk eight miles to school, in the snow, uphill, BOTH ways.  That said, you are correct. 

Spite... Indeed

Hey I laid out for two years and hardly anybody noticed.  Give the two weeks a shot ;)

your forgot to remind him he had to do that bare footed.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)