Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 23223 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »
why don't The Avengers come to midwar. Does not seem to be a problem for mid size squads taking bases there and there is usually a good balance between the sides.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
What I find ironic is the fact when people complained about hordes sneaking bases with the old town setups for years. They came back with just telling people to sit down and shut up and they will do what they want with their 15$.

Tweak the darbar and scatter a few buildings around to make things just a tiny bit more challenging and all hell breaks loose :cry :cry
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »
why don't The Avengers come to midwar. Does not seem to be a problem for mid size squads taking bases there and there is usually a good balance between the sides.

Perhaps because the Late War hotrod uber rides aren't in MW.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
yeah but it's all relative.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
Not to some...otherwise MW and EW would see more players.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
Ok, here's the deal; our squad is a squad of 40+ aged guys that have careers and families that take up the majority of our time.  That being said, we are adults in an adult world, that have to work hard just to make the time to log on and fly as a squad twice a week, but we do it, just like we have for the last ten years, because we enjoy it.  None of us have anything to prove in here and do not entertain a contest at the urinal about flying skills in a cartoon world; we brought this matter up because it's our personal opinions that the changes have had a negative impact on the level of enjoyment for smaller squads.  The staff at Hytech Creations can consider our suggestions and either act on them or not, it's their company.  Vr....

Now you have defined the heart of the real problem. The only players currently getting a full bang for their neiner neiner buck are the ones willing to avoid conflict while banding together in large groups. This is impacting the whole food chain up to the top predators who are finaly putting in a rare apperance because they are being starved to death by the large groups ignoring even them.

I only said make the towns harder because the effect would be to slow down the large group and make them vulnerable to attack by the rest of the food chain. At least you would get to kill something rather than show up in time to get swamped or watch the feild be captured and the large group scatter to the winds. Hit and run Blue Whales. Oh and I bet slowing the Blue Whale down to an atackable speed was some of the original logic for ENY. Wonder if missions should be ENY'd as a regional impact entity.

So the discussion seems to be how do you make everything work for the:

1. Predators
2. Small Groups
3. Blue Whale

Who is HiTech currently manipulating the environment in reaction to the most and why? Is it working? Why does every manipulation seem to be an all or nothing fix to force a different behavior. Towns got harder to slow down Blue Whales but stopped cold Small Groups. In a mixed bag environment of hard and easy towns, everyone would target only the easy towns untill they were FORCED to target hard towns. No real change in the Blue Whales other than making their feeding and neiner neiner factor easier.

So far the Blue Whales have proven to be extreamly adaptable to change due to their size which directly impacts the playability of the game for the smaller ihhabitants of this pond due to the amount of change needed to make a short term impact.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »
Not to some...otherwise MW and EW would see more players.

Unfortuantely, it's not all that simple ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »

What I find ironic is the fact when people complained about hordes sneaking bases with the old town setups for years. They came back with just telling people to sit down and shut up and they will do what they want with their 15$.

Tweak the darbar and scatter a few buildings around to make things just a tiny bit more challenging and all hell breaks loose :cry :cry
The thing is that things weren't just tweaked. I would venture a guess that overall town area has been increased by about 25~50%. There also seem to be more buildings but it could be an illusion due to the vast density reduction. This isn't a minor change that makes it a tiny bit harder; it has made base taking extremely difficult. All is needed is at most a few decent defenders (with exceptions of mega hordes) to thwart any chance of capturing a base.

PS: bustr, my head hurts

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
Ok, here's the deal; our squad is a squad of 40+ aged guys that have careers and families that take up the majority of our time.  That being said, we are adults in an adult world, that have to work hard just to make the time to log on and fly as a squad twice a week, but we do it, just like we have for the last ten years, because we enjoy it.  None of us have anything to prove in here and do not entertain a contest at the urinal about flying skills in a cartoon world; we brought this matter up because it's our personal opinions that the changes have had a negative impact on the level of enjoyment for smaller squads.  The staff at Hytech Creations can consider our suggestions and either act on them or not, it's their company.  Vr....

....and I'm 52 and get to play maybe 20 hours a MONTH. I don't get to fly much with my squad any more due to their lives putting them on different schedules. I understand what your saying, but while not to make it sound like I'm getting into a pizzing contest here I think I could take down a town by myself with a set of B24's.  That leaves the rest of your squad to either run a couple of other sets of buffs in to flatten the VH and FH along with a few left over to cap and capture the base.

The problem lies more along the lines of you and yours as well as many other sticking to the "old tried and true" missions which just don't work any more. It's time to adapt and over come. If you keep backing out of the driveway and run over the garbage can, how long are you going to keep at it until you move the can to the other side of the driveway?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
perhaps what we need is a realistic arena and a easy mode arena.  I would be fine with that.  I know instantly where I would go.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
I think we have established taking something and making it part of your country is a primary source of entertainment for a large group of paying players. The sky samurai can pick and choose their prey at will becasue we is it.

Instad of making towns any harder, dissperse some of the capturable structures around the the country between feilds. Create a new class of structures that have an importance worth expending a small group capture against. None of them should be able to cripple a whole country or sector. Squads have mentioned they are only taking Vehical bases and Ports because they can do it in a reasonable period of time and generate small fights.

The new big island maps are a start for a rough frame work. Capture whole two big islands and reset the map is an idea. But, find a way to diffuse rather than concentrate required captured or destroyed objetcs to force the BLue Whale to split its forces to get it's name in lights (country blue whale X captured female grey whale 123). That very diffusion gives Small Groups small strategic targets they can manage while possibly tripping up the juggernaught roll of the Blue Whale.

Your hoard of 30 dosen't get to own airfeild A because someone in a jeep took back Outhouse B under your massive nose. Or your hoard of 30 dosen't get to keep the island because the PT base got snuck out from under you during your massive high flipper Fives on the other side of the island during the troop running countdown at the last feild. Did I say PT Base :D

Hoards are here to stay. Put a few mice in the game to scare the elephant.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »
perhaps what we need is a realistic arena and a easy mode arena.  I would be fine with that.  I know instantly where I would go.

You aren't seeing the big picture.  A large percentage of the player base is completely different than you.  They are not experten, and they enjoy capturing bases and trying to conquer the map.  Many are baby seals, but they help create very fun fights in the main arena.  They also help move fights around the map to different areas and between different bases, which will create different types of fights other then the same stagnant fights between the same two bases.  Capturing a base might be relatively easy for you, but that may not be the case with lots of other players.  

The large maps that can usually be found in orange contain hundreds of bases and many captures are required for these types of players to achieve ultimate victory.  In the current setup, it is too difficult to capture a base, takes too many 'resources', and makes it nearly impossible to actually win the war.  This certainly is frustrating a decent percentage of the player base and they aren't having much fun anymore.  If they don't have fun, they won't log on and in return, I don't have fun because I can't find anybody to shoot at.  I used to make fun of players who enjoyed this aspect of the game because I personally do not enjoy it or fully understand the lure of it, but I have come to realize that the more of them there are having fun, the better the fights are on the map.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »
prior to the town changes our bombing skills where perfect , we had it down to science.
We don't care to much About scores, ive must of spawned into a camped site 30 odd times getting instantly killed just to keep them busy on me while my other squadies where sneaking in the back door.
Please  I am not a point nor kill lander and never will work towards that goal

If you like you can look at the rest of my squadies I think there scores speak for themselves and we hold our own.

bolded.......just made me like you more....for all the difference it makes.

some of the most fun base captures are when you manage to sneak the base right out from under their noses.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »

i've flown with you......and what? about 8 others, and we've taken bases?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
It's a crying shame.....I fine even myself screaming HTC has gone to the furballing side.  Screw base taking.....You Will Fight in the air!!  Unless your squad is 20 strong or more you'll not take a base.  Screw the idea of base taking, as I'll not allow it anymore unless you come 20 or more!

So we've no choice but to Furball, or to join missions hoping to hell the mission planner has their crap together.  Something we could have done before, prior to the BIG change.

For the first time since 2002, I find myself LOOKING.  The only thing that keeps me here is the loyalty to my friends and squad mates!  HTC WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES!!!  IT'S NOT all ABOUT FURBALLING!  I look at it from two different directions.....you see a base flashing, do you ignore it or go check it out?  If you ignore it, then you deserve to lose it.

Come in with Alt, and they can see you coming.  We do this often because we want them to know we're coming to take your property.  Give em a heads up "get up and defend"........fun big time.  Did we do NOE's........YEP!  Do we now?  We try.  But with the difficulty of new radar settings and taking a town down, why bother!  I can appreciate all the hard work going for the new town look.  I damned well know what it takes to "MAKE IT bETTER".  But in your effort to make better, you've somehow managed to make it WORST.

Just seems to me we had a reasonable balance before the last change.  If you wanted to furball all you had to do was look around and find it.  If you wanted to take some bases all you had to do was look around and find it.  If the furballers saw some sorry butts trying to take their bases, they broke off and gave the base takers a hard time......which was fun......ya had to work even harder to take the base.

However, not anymore.  Now it takes an act of GAWD to take any base.  At least with a squad of 10 or less.

<S> HTC, you've made this a definite "Flight Sim".  I for one am becoming BORED!

Figure this is a "Flame On" post by me........however it's just my opinon, open and honest.

Perhaps.....just perhaps......it's time to go back to the basics.  Screw the base takers.......screw the furballers........get back to basics!

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx