Author Topic: Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »
My post was dripping with sarcasm.

JBJB isn't the first person who watched pearl harbor, then came to the boards to showcase his newfound knowledge.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
For Sale or Trade:

One B.A. in History from Norwich University.
Rights to all published works written pertaining to military history.
3000 volume library of military books.
10,000+ WWII era photos (original and copies)
Anything else contributing to this fruitless effort to acquire knowledge.

Will trade for:

Snickers Bar (1)
Mt. Dew (6 pack, bottles)
Photos of scantily-clad women like Kate Beckinsdale.

Or I'll trade it for a B-29 in AH with nukes and radar and rockets and unlimited ammo.

Someone please, if you see me on the sidewalk, run me over...  :huh

hmmmm ... interested if you could change the degree to structural engineering so I can start charging $350 an hour for my work instead of $35.. I'll even throw in two old monitors and several Dallas Cowboy jersies as kindling. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
DEAL!!

Hope you don't mind the white-out on the paper!!!

J
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
actually that's perfect... it shows that if I see a flaw in something I correct it..  :lol
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
Folks like you who flame just to flame are as bad as the OP.

How old are you?
What is your IQ?
What have you done to try and help make the game better?

If you don't have anything constructive to say, see yourself the bloody hell out of here.

As if you have any authority here? lmfao
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Seems to be wishful thinking on the part of the author.  From the 1st Fighter Group History.  These guys had the two P80s in Italy.  "the P-80s were brought over in early April 1945 by a Wright Field contingent 'for testing under combat conditions in a remote location'.  The Remote location was correct but combat conditions?  Surely not.  To be sure they were in an Operational area,but aside from occasional flights in the local area, not a great deal was accomplished."

Sure doesn't sound like they were hours from entering combat based on the guys who had them :)

Yea, show me the web site or where ever you got this info.  The only thing that i can find on the 1st FG is that they did not fly the P-80 till 1946.
And i do not think this guy would make up this info and aloud it to be published.  
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
DEAL!!

Hope you don't mind the white-out on the paper!!!

J

That's only fair since there's white-out on the monitors.  :bolt:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »
Well, regardless, they were there, in-country.

I put P-80s in the same category as the F7F and F8F.

They were there, they were flying beyond the test-flight phase, they just didn't make it in time.

Had the war lasted another month, all three of these aircraft might have seen combat, although by that time there wasn't much left to shoot at.

J
Most certainly not.  There were four YP-80s in the European theater, two in the UK and two in Italy, none of which got anywhere near combat.  The F7F and F8F's were in squadron service, embarked and enroute for service in the invasion of Japan.  The P-80 didn't come close to seeing service in WWII.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 800nate

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
+111111 trillon for b25s off a cv

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
Why get all worked up about B25's off a CV?  They get parked 5 miles from shore anyway...you really want to fly over a base/town at 120mph and 250' altitude?

Perhaps adjust the coad to only allow them to take off if the CV is at least 150 miles from the nearest shoreline. 
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
Most certainly not.  There were four YP-80s in the European theater, two in the UK and two in Italy, none of which got anywhere near combat.  The F7F and F8F's were in squadron service, embarked and enroute for service in the invasion of Japan.  The P-80 didn't come close to seeing service in WWII.

If you had read my post, you would have understood what I was trying to say. Since the P-80s were in Italy and the UK, then it is LOGICAL to presume (since I can't use the A-word that means to make an educated guess) that they were undergoing operational testing, which is the point I was trying to make. And HAD the war gone on for another few months, there was a distinct possibility that they could have seen combat. Who are we to know what those YP-80s could have run into in July of 1945 if things had been different? Chances are they would have been moved to front line base had they performed well in the rear-area operational testing. The US was in a big hurry to get a jet operational, especially since we were way behind the curve compared to the Meteor and 262. Since the war was winding down, there was certainly good reason to see what these aircraft could do under actual combat conditions.

Don't presume to know what the powers that be were thinking. Stating that the P-80 was nowhere close to seeing service contradicts the fact that the aircraft were there in the first place. If they were nowhere near ready, the effort to get them to the ETO would never have been made.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:34:16 PM by JHerne »
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:22 PM »
If you had read my post, you would have understood what I was trying to say. Since the P-80s were in Italy and the UK, then it is LOGICAL to prettythangume that they were undergoing operational testing, which is the point I was trying to make. And HAD the war gone on for another few months, there was a distinct possibility that they could have seen combat. Who are we to know what those YP-80s could have run into in July of 1945 if things had been different? Chances are they would have been moved to front line base had they performed well in the rear-area operational testing. The US was in a big hurry to get a jet operational, especially since we were way behind the curve compared to the Meteor and 262. Since the war was winding down, there was certainly good reason to see what these aircraft could do under actual combat conditions.

Don't presume to know what the powers that be were thinking. Stating that the P-80 was nowhere close to seeing service contradicts the fact that the aircraft were there in the first place. If they were nowhere near ready, the effort to get them to the ETO would never have been made.

It didn't see combat. It didn't share the sky with an enemy aircraft. It doesn't belong in the game. Simple as that.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
It didn't see combat. It didn't share the sky with an enemy aircraft. It doesn't belong in the game. Simple as that.

He isn't saying that it should be in the game, he is saying that it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that is could have seen combat had the war ended 1 month later.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
No one is saying that it deserves to be in AH - backread.
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »

Internet fist bump