Author Topic: G4M1-11 Betty !  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: G4M1-11 Betty !
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
G4M2 later 1943 really. Saw much more limited use. The G4M1-11 was by far the most numerous model made and the most representative. These continued to serve until halfway through 1943. G4M2 first production model wasn't even made until July 1943, training and distribution naturally takes a little while after this. I don't know when the first combat was.

The Ki-67's combat debut was in October 1944... It wasn't a massive flood. It took a while to become a common sight and even then many of those were considered as conversions for kamikaze later in 1945. It really is a 1945 plane. I rounded up for the couple of months it started trickling into combat.

The B5N really doesn't count in that it's a 1937 carrier bomber. I was talking about a larger land-based bomber akin to the Ju-88 and the B-25 and such.

EDIT: They continued to develop the G4M1-11 until 1945 with various modifications, though I don't know in what capacity. When Yamamoto was shot down, it was in a G4M1-11, as well! That brings up an idea for a scenario!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:11:46 PM by Krusty »

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong im estatic for the new Betty, HE111 coming soon I hope ;)
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
What, no co-pilot with a look on his face that he's about to slit your throat?

:aok
HTC

Looking forward to it!!

You miss this guy?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »
And now for a 2nd variant, how about some perked, special G4M and its perked cherry bomb for the arcade arena?

Here's how I think the gameplay mechanics of it should work...

For this to work, u need:

- a betty pilot with enough perk pts to fly to intended target
- invite 1 player to man the cherry bomb, that player needs to have bomber perk pts to man the cherry bomb

Here's how the scenario is gonna look like...

- Player with enough perk points pilots the special G4M
- Invited person with enough perk points is inside the cherry rocket bomb
- Both the Bomber pilot and the invited player have the control to release the cherry bomb, but first they have to mutually agree on a target first (a CV or 8 inch gun for example)
- Special G4M with cherry bomb attached is 15-20 miles away from the target, G4M pilot release the cherry rocket bomb with invited player strapped in.
- Invited player goes one-way, G4M pilot returns to base
- For both the special G4M and cherrybomb pilot not lose the perk points, the cherry pilot must hit target successfully and the special G4M bomber must return to base successfully. BANZAI!  Mission Accomplished  :aok

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:14:40 PM by Perrine »

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
And now for a 2nd variant, how about some perked, special G4M and its perked cherry bomb for the arcade arena?

Here's how I think the gameplay mechanics of it should work...

For this to work, u need:

- a betty pilot with enough perk pts to fly to intended target
- invite 1 player to man the cherry bomb, that player needs to have bomber perk pts to man the cherry bomb

Here's how the scenario is gonna look like...

- Player with enough perk points pilots the special G4M
- Invited person with enough perk points is inside the cherry rocket bomb
- Both the Bomber pilot and the invited player have the control to release the cherry bomb, but first they have to mutually agree on a target first (a CV or 8 inch gun for example)
- Special G4M with cherry bomb attached is 15-20 miles away from the target, G4M pilot release the cherry rocket bomb with invited player strapped in.
- Invited player goes one-way, G4M pilot returns to base
- For both the special G4M and cherrybomb pilot not lose the perk points, the cherry pilot must hit target successfully and the special G4M bomber must return to base successfully. BANZAI!  Mission Accomplished  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)

They arent going to add any kamikaze or suicide type weapons.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
WTFH IS it with people who want to be able to fly their planes into things to destroy them? Aren't the bomb-and-bail Lancstukas bad enough as it is?! There is NO situation whatsoever where allowing working kamikazes like the Ohka is going to be BENEFICIAL for gameplay in here.

Get in your plane. Take off. Bomb your target. GO HOME AND LAND.

Hitech should put a 100% Perk price on every "We need kamikazes!!!" post. Anyone who asks for kamikazes automatically and instantly forfeits every single one of their perks the moment they hit the "Submit" button. Fighter, Bomber, Vehicle, EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:31:39 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »
why can't axis get a perk bomber ride
could it be allied conspiracy? :noid

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »
WTFH IS it with people who want to be able to fly their planes into things to destroy them? Aren't the bomb-and-bail Lancstukas bad enough as it is?! There is NO situation whatsoever where allowing working kamikazes like the Ohka is going to be BENEFICIAL for gameplay in here.

I agree.  There should be no kamkaze mode by driving your fighter/bomber to the ground

BUT

This special G4M + cherrybomb is different.  The invited player is driving a standoff missile with H.E. bomb, not a fighter/bomber to a target in dignified gameplay manner.

the lankstuka and 'the first long range standoff rocket cruise missile with a bomb in the history of the world'  analogy just doesn't compare.  It's dweebier to attempt lankstuka than to what I describe above which is more dignified :aok
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:03:40 AM by Perrine »

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
You miss this guy?

(Image removed from quote.)

wrongway

It's been awhile.. but I thought he looked more sinister.

That guys has a 'WTF.. you bombed a Cow?'  look on his face..
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
It's been awhile.. but I thought he looked more sinister.

That guys has a 'WTF.. you bombed a Cow?'  look on his face..

You, sir just made me spit sleepytime tea all over my computer screen.

I hope your happy.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:46 AM »
The Ki-67's combat debut was in October 1944... It wasn't a massive flood. It took a while to become a common sight and even then many of those were considered as conversions for kamikaze later in 1945. It really is a 1945 plane. I rounded up for the couple of months it started trickling into combat
You've said that before and you're still wrong.  The Ki-67 entered service with the IJA in April, 1944 and entered service with the IJN in October of 1944.  That is how I understand it.  It is as much a 1944 design as the P-51D is.

Ar234.....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:08:45 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »

ar234,  the section in your brain that thinks before it posts probably looks like this > :banana:
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2010, 02:07:55 AM »
I know someday we're gonna get an allied b29 with n00ks, to maintain parity the axis should also get a special G4M with cherrybomb :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »
The main difference on the G4M2 was the more powerful Kasei Model 21 engines with water methanol injection, these developed 1850hp each on takeoff instead of 1540hp. Even with these the G4M2 Betty struggled to carry the Ohka suicide bomb, which weighed over 4,700lb. Of this weight the warhead was only 2,646lb. It takes 8K or ord to take out a carrier in AH, but that's less than 8K of explosive content (bomb casings etc.) Even so, in AH terms you would probably need three Ohkas to take out a carrier. You'd do better with any late war US jabo or buffs in terms of time/damage.

I think the Betty will make a reasonable substitute in scenarios for other early war bombers like the SM 79 or the Il-4. Although it has that 20mm tail gun, that's offset by its flammability. If a special event organiser wants to use it that way, I can produce an appropriate skin for it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:38:13 AM by Greebo »

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2010, 05:50:36 AM »
They continued to develop the G4M1-11 until 1945 with various modifications, though I don't know in what capacity. When Yamamoto was shot down, it was in a G4M1-11, as well! That brings up an idea for a scenario!

According to Francillon, The Betty Yamamoto was shot down in was a Model 12.

The Model 12 which was usually designated just "G4M1" and was an upgrade to the intial production model ie. the G4M1-11 HTC is implementing.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!