Author Topic: "Many people here not only fly for real but have flown wwii planes."  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Re: "Many people here not only fly for real but have flown wwii planes."
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
Having a good memory is cheating?   (Image removed from quote.)

Hehe, thought you peaked to the article I linked the picture from. ;) :D

WTG Lusche! :)

It's a Mk.IV. IIRC there's one Mk.II in England but that's the only Mk.IV left in the world.

So who gave Wmaker a Bristol Bulldog? As if we don't have enough problems mumble grumble........

Heh, that thing would be like from another planet in the WWI arena for sure. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Just realised the Bristol Bulldog is the a/c Douglas Bader augered in 1931 (the crash where he lost his legs). Sorry that this is off topic, but does anyone know the name of the other English double amputee pilot of WW2? I know he was in the RN, and lost his legs in a training accident early in the war, then returned to active duty some time later. There was a book (which I've misplaced) and I'd like to revisit his story.
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
Hehe, thought you peaked to the article I linked the picture from. ;) :D

I have... several years ago. That's why I remembered that picture. I just had to look up the museum's name in Wikipedia in the Bulldog article, no way I can memorize a name like "Hallinportti"  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »
no way I can memorize a name like "Hallinportti"  :D

:rofl  :D
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »
Im starting to fly a Harvard MK 4 down here.

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
Im starting to fly a Harvard MK 4 down here.

Interesting turn of events 1sum, considering you're in Texas I'd have expected it to be a Texan lol. What's an old Commonwealth a/c doing in that neck of the woods?

A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
Interesting turn of events 1sum, considering you're in Texas I'd have expected it to be a Texan lol. What's an old Commonwealth a/c doing in that neck of the woods?

We have a spitfire in a hanger at the san antonio airport, along with the P38 "Glacier Girl"
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
I've never flown the C-47 but I have farted in one. There was an active C-47 at The American Airpower Museum on Long Island last year and they were giving tours. My brother and nephew were already standing in the cockpit talking to the pilot as I boarded the plane from the rear. Just as both of my feet were inside the plane I accidentally let one slip out. Within seconds I could see my brother and nephew shaking their heads in disgust as the smell hit them square in the face.

On a more serious note I live in CT and we've been fortunate as many WWII planes visit the area. This summer we had five Corsairs fly in from surrounding states and fly formations and maneuvers. We've also had B-17's, B-25's and P-51's visit the state. A couple of hours away on Long Island the American Airpower Museum has an impressive collection of planes such as a P-47, P-40, TBM Avenger, Corsair and P-51. All planes are operational. During the summer they celebrated the anniversary of The Battle of Britian and brought in a Lancaster Bomber and a Spitfire IX. By the way, the Spitfire is an impressive bird. A beautiful plane. Puts most of the big ugly American planes to shame. There were also several WWII pilots in attendance. One was a Tuskegee airmen and another a German pilot who flew the 109 with the 30mm gun in the nose. He said one shot was all it took to down an enemy plane.

We also have a museum in Hartford which houses a Thunderbolt and Corsair as well as a B-29. They have an open cockpit day once a month where you can sit inside the plane and play with the controls.

I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
a buddy of mine owns it along with a p51D. its a really nice harvard.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
The aviation museum here in Tulsa has an F14 with a cockpit you can sit in.  My wife refused to be my RIO though.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:57 AM »
A few years back I took a ride in a SNJ (Read: Navy version of he AT-6 Texan) the pilot told me that if I wanted a little stick time when we got airbone to let him know.  I have to admit I got so pre-occupied with trying to follow the topography over Napa and the areas north of the San Francisco bay and following all the instruments that I completely forgot about flying till we were on the way back and he was asking me if I wanted to do a couple rolls...
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
A few years back I took a ride in a SNJ (Read: Navy version of he AT-6 Texan) the pilot told me that if I wanted a little stick time when we got airbone to let him know.  I have to admit I got so pre-occupied with trying to follow the topography over Napa and the areas north of the San Francisco bay and following all the instruments that I completely forgot about flying till we were on the way back and he was asking me if I wanted to do a couple rolls...

Was it here? http://www.vintageaircraft.com?

I rode in a Boeing Stearman while it did some aerobatics there, was tons of fun! They also had a p51 & p40 too (though its not on the website).
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 04:07:55 PM »
Was it here? http://www.vintageaircraft.com?

I rode in a Boeing Stearman while it did some aerobatics there, was tons of fun! They also had a p51 & p40 too (though its not on the website).

That could very well be the place, I don't recall the name exactly but the biplanes look familiar.  Didn't see a P-51 or P-40 while I was there.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
A few years back I took a ride in a SNJ (Read: Navy version of he AT-6 Texan) the pilot told me that if I wanted a little stick time when we got airbone to let him know.  I have to admit I got so pre-occupied with trying to follow the topography over Napa and the areas north of the San Francisco bay and following all the instruments that I completely forgot about flying till we were on the way back and he was asking me if I wanted to do a couple rolls...

I got to fly a T-6 a few years back, did bunches of turns and rolls and loops.  It was great, you couldn't have wiped the smile of my face with a hammer.  After all those years of AW it felt totally natural, coordinating the turns was no problem nor was being upside down.  Everything looked and seemed exactly like sim flying, except  the forces.

Muzzy, I'm in Tulsa too man, we should get together one of these days and grab a beer. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
I got to fly a T-6 a few years back, did bunches of turns and rolls and loops.  It was great, you couldn't have wiped the smile of my face with a hammer.

Nice one maddafinga, that smile on rtb is something pretty much everyone that flies has in common, at least. Pity we can't bottle it and distribute as and when needed  :)