Author Topic: "Many people here not only fly for real but have flown wwii planes."  (Read 5166 times)

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
Re: "Many people here not only fly for real but have flown wwii planes."
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
Well like a year or 2 ago I was at the EAA airshow and got to fly in the B17 Aluminum Overcast. We were in it for like 10-20min sitting on the ground waiting for the oil to heat up, (we were the first flight). We flew  over the EAA and saw all the planes, this was the year they had the A380 and that thing was HUGE from the air.

Then down in Texas my Uncle Joe was a tailgunner in the 310th bomb group off of Corsica and his plane was How 'Boot That!? Turns out Mr.Cavanuge bought the plane at an action after it miraculously survived WWII. Mr Cavangue (I think that's how you spell his name) wanted to restor the plane back into original condition, so he did. It is in airworthy condition but they don't fly it because it is the best perserved B-25 in the world. When I went down there I was aloud to walk through the plane get into the tail, cockpit, nose and waist. My Uncle Joe is still alive but 88. These are my 2 experiences. Oh here's the website for the plane : http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/Aircraft/B-25/Page1.html
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
This is probably not a new idea, but it occurs to me that maybe you don't actually have to do a thing to be a part of it. If someone can walk up to a warbird at an airshow, pat the fuselage fondly and feel respect and admiration for the men who flew it and the trials they endured, well to me that makes them part of the story.

Maybe that's the hidden purpose of a combat simulation? Previous generations would certainly not want us to suffer the horrors of war, but perhaps the game imparts a deeper understanding of the sacrifices made by our forebears, which in turn must help keep their memory alive.

Just a thought... it's probably been voiced before.   
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
This is probably not a new idea, but it occurs to me that maybe you don't actually have to do a thing to be a part of it. If someone can walk up to a warbird at an airshow, pat the fuselage fondly and feel respect and admiration for the men who flew it and the trials they endured, well to me that makes them part of the story.

Maybe that's the hidden purpose of a combat simulation? Previous generations would certainly not want us to suffer the horrors of war, but perhaps the game imparts a deeper understanding of the sacrifices made by our forebears, which in turn must help keep their memory alive.

Just a thought... it's probably been voiced before.   

Thats very profound, I've never read that before.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »
Concur Tusk

Being around an involved with this game I've learned more about the history of the total war than I ever would have in the past.  There are certain players that, when they post, I always look to see what they're saying because they really know this stuff backwards and forwards. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute