Author Topic: bi-plane and flight model musical chairs.  (Read 2057 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: bi-plane and flight model musical chairs.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
I really think the brewster turns better in game than it did in real life.

Did the finn version turn a huge amount better than the american version?

If so, what modifications allowed it to outperform the american version?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:34:53 PM by icepac »

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Did the finn version turn a huge amount better than the american version?

If so, what modifications allowed it to outperform the american version?
Don't you think an 18% decrease in weight for the b239 vs. the US F2A-3 would make a difference?  Thats a lot of junior mints missing there don't you think?
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »
From the time I spent restoring planes at the smithsonian and poring over manuals from the archives maybe?

Still waiting on the info from the manuals backing up your claim.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »
Sorry dude....I am going on memory.

I won't be there for a few more months as I am busy doing aero work for our next trip to nasa.

Since someone threw out the figure 18% lighter figure.....how was this achieved?

Was this before the fins added the pilot seat armor or after as well?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:22:59 PM by icepac »

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
Since someone threw out the figure 18% lighter figure.....how was this achieved?

Covered previously by others before.  However I'll repeat what info I have. 

It's not that the finns reduced the weight, it's the US added a bunch of weight instead.  According to Dean's AHT, empty weight of the B239 was only 3744 lbs.  By contrast the F2A-3 empty weight was 4765 lbs.  Where did all that come from?  +280 lbs on the airframe, +547 lbs for a new version of the Wright Cyclone 1820 engine, +215 lbs for fixed equipment.  The wing weight went up 172 lbs with no change in area.  That's just empty weight. 

Add the additional fuel and ammo etc etc. and voila you get 5276 lbs vs. 6906 lbs.  Looking at the math, that's actually 23% lighter than the F2A-3.
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
Math?

MATH?!?!?!?!?!?!

You DARE bring MATH into an AH thread?

A witch!

Burn him!
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 11:33:04 PM »
Math?

MATH?!?!?!?!?!?!

You DARE bring MATH into an AH thread?

A witch!

Burn him!
:lol :lol :lol

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 02:01:20 AM »
Sorry dude....I am going on memory.

I won't be there for a few more months as I am busy doing aero work for our next trip to nasa.

As you are the one positing that the numbers in AH are wrong, it is your job to show the data to back it up.

Before you trot out the tired "You're just as guilty of assuming the data is correct as I am of assuming it is wrong, all opinions are equally valid!" crap, know that many of us have provided data to prove something we thought was modeled wrong in AH was really modeled wrong.  It is your claim, most of us that have some knowledge of the subject don't see anything grossly off with it, so you go get the data to prove it wrong.  Don't ask for other people to do your work for you.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Covered previously by others before.  However I'll repeat what info I have.  

It's not that the finns reduced the weight, it's the US added a bunch of weight instead.  According to Dean's AHT, empty weight of the B239 was only 3744 lbs.  By contrast the F2A-3 empty weight was 4765 lbs.  Where did all that come from?  +280 lbs on the airframe, +547 lbs for a new version of the Wright Cyclone 1820 engine, +215 lbs for fixed equipment.  The wing weight went up 172 lbs with no change in area.  That's just empty weight.  

Add the additional fuel and ammo etc etc. and voila you get 5276 lbs vs. 6906 lbs.  Looking at the math, that's actually 23% lighter than the F2A-3.

Nice figures.

The finns removed the tailhook and other carrier type equipment but didn't they run 4x50 caliber guns while the original f2A1 was armed with 1x30 and 1x50 guns?

This thread is way off track from it's original intent which is to discuss the I15/I153 biplane being in game.

It's numbers exceed the B239 and many other planes in game at this time.

I only mentioned the brewster because I feel it's flight model most closely resembles how the I15/I153 would fly.....but with a bit of speed removed.

Karnak.......from another thread......

This.

Giving the Allies the B-239 in Pac scenarios isn't very fair to the Japanese as it gives the Allies a fighter that can turn with the A6M when there shouldn't be an Allied fighter there that can turn with the A6M.

They delivered 3437 of these planes.

The I153 were armed with 4x7.62 shkas or 2x12.7 bs.

The I153BS had 4x12.7 and another model had 2x20mm shvak.

They also flew with 6xRS82 rockets.

26 were delivered with pressurized cockpits and turbocharged engines.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:57:20 AM by icepac »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »
.....but with a bit of speed removed.

That's what people are trying to explain, planes don't handle like something else with a bit a speed removed. I'15 & B-239 are totally different airplanes even thought their fuselages look alike. They have a different wing (I-15 has two of them), different engine, different stabilizers, I-15 has un-retractable landing gear, and I-15 has an open cockpit. Also keep in mind that they are built totally different that means the structure in the wind is different and the fuselage, so your damage model has to also be made from scratch.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
You forgot to mention manufactured by two different companies, in two different countries.   :uhoh

That's what people are trying to explain, planes don't handle like something else with a bit a speed removed. I'15 & B-239 are totally different airplanes even thought their fuselages look alike. They have a different wing (I-15 has two of them), different engine, different stabilizers, I-15 has un-retractable landing gear, and I-15 has an open cockpit. Also keep in mind that they are built totally different that means the structure in the wind is different and the fuselage, so your damage model has to also be made from scratch.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
icepac,

What has that to do with this discussion?  Yes, using the B-239 in Pac or CBI settings is not appropriate.  That has literally nothing to do with whether the flight model for the B-239 is accurate or not.  What it is saying is that the B-239 is not an appropriate substitution for a B-339E or a F2A-3 and that is all that it is saying.

In no way was I contesting the flight model of the B-239 with that comment.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Ok.....let's remove the b239 from this discussion.

What about the I153 in game?

It flew a considerable amount of missions than many other planes discussed for inclusion.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
I-153 would be a very nice addition.  The only people likely to say otherwise are those who don't want anything that won't become the new MA monster added.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
I would like to have it  Big +1
Not for the reasons icepak stated though...that was confusing and didnt make much sense.  But Biplanes in the MA would be great!