Author Topic: Flap question  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Flap question
« on: November 01, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
When pressing the flaps-up or flaps-down, the flaps don't immediately go up or down, they make a sound and move to the desired position which takes a some time. This time may not seem very long, but on multi-leveled flaps, if for example you went from level 4 to level 2 of flaps by pressing the flaps-up key twice, you would hear the sound for a sec or two. How does the game model this? ie As the flaps are retracting is it constantly updating the lift and drag factors to match the flaps appropriate position as it is retracting? Or is it modeled such that as the minute the button is pressed, it uses the the corresponding preset drag and lift factors for the selected setting regardless if the flaps are still moving to that setting?

I guess for the math guys, is L being interpolated between the two preset values as the flaps are moving? (L from this equation).

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:34:12 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Flap question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
Yes, that is correct.  You are stupid for even asking that....everyone else knows this...why don't you?  You always have to be different than the other kids....have character, don't BE a character.  Its why you're in the 3rd Wing with that other smartazzed kid Krupinski...GEEZUS!  Now, get out!

Changeup
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:41:53 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »
Yes, that is correct.  You are stupid for even asking that....everyone else knows this...why don't you?  You always have to be different than the other kids....have character, don't BE a character.  Now, get out.

Changeup
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

now all your missing is the a mish-mash of math formulas & scanned copies of books to state that not only do I not know what I'm talking about, I'm so ignorant, I shouldn't be even asking, oh yeah, and that I must be a luft-whiner because spits only have one flap setting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:00:15 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Yes, that is correct.  You are stupid for even asking that....everyone else knows this...why don't you?  You always have to be different than the other kids....have character, don't BE a character.  Its why you're in the 3rd Wing with that other smartazzed kid Krupinski...GEEZUS!  Now, get out!

Changeup

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »
The flaps have an immediate effect. I believe it's a gradual effect not an immediate full effect but I haven't confirmed that.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »
The flaps have an immediate effect. I believe it's a gradual effect not an immediate full effect but I haven't confirmed that.

Ty, I ask, because often in a tight fight I will be constantly moving my flaps. If the modeled flaps effects are in fact 'gradual', then if takes to go from ACM 1 to ACM 2 is less than the time it takes for me to move my flaps to the desired position for each ACM, I have to plan differently, then if the the modeled flap effect is 'full-immediate' and I can press the flap key the desired number of times quickly and ignore the indicator and sound.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
Anecdotally, based on the operation of landing gear, I would say the effect is immediate.

I have landed on wheels as the graphic of the gear was still going down.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Online Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
Anecdotally, based on the operation of landing gear, I would say the effect is immediate.

I have landed on wheels as the graphic of the gear was still going down.

wrongway

Flaps don't work this way, only the gear. If flaps did work like that you would have heard about it long before now.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
Flaps work immediately, test with the Hurricane (One setting, and takes forever to deploy)

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »
Flaps work immediately, test with the Hurricane (One setting, and takes forever to deploy)

Thanks for the info! Cool, did not know that the flaps on the hurry take forever to deploy.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
wat are flaps? r they the thingys that spin in front of teh plane :confused:
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the info! Cool, did not know that the flaps on the hurry take forever to deploy.

they dont take forever, they become responsive immediately. the sound just goes on forever.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:48:58 AM »
they dont take forever, they become responsive immediately. the sound just goes on forever.
Yes, I understand that, I was just noting that I didn't know the sound and the visual indicator in the hurry were so slow.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 04:05:48 AM »

I guess for the math guys, is L being interpolated between the two preset values as the flaps are moving? (L from this equation).

hu???
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 06:07:08 AM »
Git that durn Country flap out yer hayed. Them there aint dem flaps ye ave to drop when you got out der to yer out house.

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID