Author Topic: Bomber Killer?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Bomber Killer?
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
This plane is bristling with cannons, its fast and most importantly, really cool looking. :D

I looked briefly at several web sites and the max speed varies between 365 and 414 mph.

There was a "mosquito killer" variant also.

Could this thing catch and kill a B-29??

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bomber Killer?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
Could this thing catch and kill a B-29??

Only in a sense as even a Hurricane I can catch and kill a Ki-67 - if it manages to surprise one low & slow enough.

The operational He 219s with their huge antennas were not as fast as it's commonly quoted. Especially at the B-29's prime alt (30k) they would gasp for air.

The so called "Mosquito killer" A-6 was built in very low numbers, and was reported to be very unstable at high altitudes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:10:04 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Void

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
It is really cool looking!!!
In Game name: Namco

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
I might add that we do have one plane in game that was designed in anticipation of the expected B-29 raids:
The Ta-152H

I really can't think of any plane that saw combat in WWII, that would be better at chasing & killing the 29 as those we do already have in game.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:34:03 PM »
people are overestimating the B-29s abilitys
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »

Only because it is one of the most famous bombers in history. If not THE most famous bomber in history.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
true, but, in WW2 they were also getting shot down by mid 1943 by fighters that were developed in 1940, Ta-152 will mince any B-29
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:46:34 PM »

In what way?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
true, but, in WW2 they were also getting shot down by mid 1943 by fighters that were developed in 1940, Ta-152 will mince any B-29

Yes, they were shot down by them: Very rarely.

I think you are vastly underestimating problems for the fighter resulting from combination of speed, size & altitude ;)

Even a B17 is far from being easy to catch & shoot down for a Ta 152 in Aces High.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:50:33 PM »
it is a great bomber, good ceiling, good speed, good bombload, but it isn't indisputable, and it wont change the way the game is played, I can estimate that it will have a pretty heavy perk (because lets face it, if it didn't that's the only thing buff pilots would fly) and I bet the second someone sees a con, they will be ready to vulch it as soon as it lands with a 262 or something like that, and we have lots of planes in game that are more then capable of destroying one with ease. I dunno, thats just my oppinon, and I do understand what you are saying, but if someone really wants to down a B-29(/Tu-4  :t) they could easily pre climb ahead of them, and just wait for them to come to you
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:53:33 PM by Imowface »
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »
it is a great bomber, good ceiling, good speed, good bombload, but it isn't indisputable, and it wont change the way the game is played, I can estimate that it will have a pretty heavy perk (because lets face it, if it didn't that's the only thing buff pilots would fly) and I bet the second someone sees a con, they will be ready to vulch it as soon as it lands with a 262 or something like that, and we have lots of planes in game that are more then capable of destroying one with ease. I dunno, thats just my oppinon

Oh, we may overestimate the overall impact, because thatS' depending on several settings we do not know yet about (perks, eny, limited bases perhaps?)

But it's hard to overestimate it from a pure performance point of view, particularly if you have lots of experience fighting very high altitude bombers in AH ;)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
I dunno, thats just my oppinon, and I do understand what you are saying, but if someone really wants to down a B-29(/Tu-4  :t) they could easily pre climb ahead of them, and just wait for them to come to you

You do hunt bombers at 30k a lot? ;)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
when im not busy getting gangbanged at 5k in my La-5 yes, I find myself at 30K waiting for buffs  :airplane:
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
Depending on several settings we do not know yet about (limited bases perhaps?)

Speaking of which, I haven't seen the 163 bases at all, lately. What gives? I don't think I'm going crazy?  :confused:
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
Anybody know the climb rate of the 29??

Is this thing gonna take an hour to get to 25/30k??

Does it climb like a pimped out Lanc?
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP