Author Topic: Horrible Ending for a B-29  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
Re: Horrible Ending for a B-29
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 09:21:05 AM »
Greenamyer is a notorious cheapskate, with little patience, that was the biggest issue.

I've heard other stories about him from someone in the museum/restoration business, when I mentioned the Kee Bird story this guy first rolled his eyes, then muttered something unpleasant about Greenamyer .  Just a couple things I remember;  Greenamyer puts a $50 military surplus ejection seat in his F-104, then pushes too hard in pursuit of his speed record, punches out, and by some miracle it actually worked and saved him (Starfighter gone though)...    He "donates" a plane to a museum (4 engine something I forget) flies it in, parks it them leaves in a big hurry ditching the reception shindig.   Later when the museum tries to taxi it they find he jacked (among many other parts) 3 out of 4 starter motors before he left, so they had to start one engine at a time swapping the starter between them.  :rolleyes:

Bottom line with Kee Bird is he didn't have the patience, money, or resources to do it right... ... mostly patience though.  So he ends up burning down a valuable piece of history.  It was better to leave it be (it WAS well preserved) then try and do it all half cocked like Greenamyer.  In the end he must of been out of his mind taxiing a B-29 that fast on a surface that bumpy, WITH the APU still running.  Kee Bird had been there 50+ years, would it have killed him to wait a few more years till he had the financial backing and resources to do it right?

Watch the rest of the show where they dang near wreck their transport Caribou several times, seriously overload it, fly it back on one engine, and put PROPANE in the tires.  It was kind of a joke of an expedition from the beginning.

Greenland is all pissed at him now because instead of cleaning up the mess he just bulldozed it all into the lake and left, refusing to clean it up properly, so now the lake is an environmental mess adding insult to injury.

I thought he had to punch out of his F-104 because one of the landing gears wouldn't lock?

Also, I read the entire book to find out what happened :furious

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
tragic way to end, but slightly better than catching fire in the air with crew onboard.

So true it gave it's life so others could live. What caused that HALO to shoot up into B-29 heaven?
I feel for those poor frozen bastards. It was a risky effort and she looked beautiful before she died.  :cry
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
Beautiful bird tragic that it ended like that for her. But, It's true at least none of the aircrew was on board.
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
 :(
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »
 :( :cry

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
If it ain't broke don't fix it.  That kinda applies here.
Curry1-Since Tour 101