Author Topic: V5 knowledge base  (Read 393 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
V5 knowledge base
« on: October 26, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
OK Leph, you smooth talking Voodoo salesman you - I plugged this sucker into my box yesterday (did they have to make it this big???) .

Now -

It is very pretty;

Lost some fps - 20-25 otr/main base/Luzon terrain but my TNT2 Ultra didn't have FSAAx4 ;

Installation was a pain - refresh rate maxed out my Princeton (160 Hz max) although the spec claim 160 as max - had to re-start in safe mode, blah-blah-blah...;

Drivers that came with the card gave blue lines on terrain; upgraded to latest official release - 25.09.2000 - all blue things disappeared (no change in FPS though...);

No stutter although I noticed some freezes; maybe the usual crap running in the background, resources running low and stuff -was just testing anyway and off-line;

Found 1024x32xFSAAx4 much prettier and slower than 1280??? Fine but clearly visible jagged edge at 1280 - staright line at 1024!;

Did I mention how pretty the whole thing looks with FSAA??? Wow! .

Now:

I run PIII600e not o/c, BX6 v2.0 (don't think it supports more then 1xAGP), 256MB PC133, Win98, Dx7.0... Screen is set to 1024x32x85Hz

1. Is there a built in o/c utility to hike the chips frequency up from 166MHz? (I could have sworn I saw a screenshot somewhere but am not finding it in Tools);

2. How safe it is? Am I better off increasing my FSB?

3. Is there a link between screen resolution, AH resolution and fps? I found it astounding that 1024 (AH) was considerably slower than 1280...

4. Anyone played with the settings long enough to notice any difference - there are way too many of them for me to understand, please post your winning configuration here .

5 What kind of fps do you guys get with CFS2/MSFS2000?

6. Anyone tried the beta set yet(dated earlier but release No. is later that the official set)?

7. Add your own...

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
V5 knowledge base
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2000, 11:18:00 AM »
The software install should have put a link to the o/c drivers in a 3DFX folder on your start menu under programs.  Download it, and after a couple of clicks, it adds an overclocking menu to your 3DFX Tools.  I haven't had any luck overclocking mine at all...maybe by about 4 mhz, but what's the point  

I also run at 1024X32X85hz, but I'm only running it at 2xFSAA...I can't stand the low frame rates the 4x gives me...especially when you see smoke - you'll probably find this out soon!  2x still looks damned good tho!

Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure that if you run at a higher refresh rate, even with the latest drivers, the blue lines in the terrain come back.  I've only noticed a stuttering problem once, after I messed with some of the settings that had no idea what they were.  I changed them back, and no more stuttering...never get a freeze, except that screenshots seem to take a long time, but that's probably more AH/system related.

Now all you have to do is wait for the V5-6000 to come out.    4 Processors & 128MB of RAM. <druel>

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
V5 knowledge base
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »
Lynx, the likely reason that you got jaggies at 1280x1024 would be that FSAA got automatically disabled.