Author Topic: $1100.oo build  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: $1100.oo build
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 06:56:15 AM »
I'm echoing what TD and BE have said.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
Also depends on room temp.  If your builds above your showing a Rosewill PSU.  To me the single most important component in any build is the PSU.  I would not trust that PSU .  Prefer to see someone get a less power GPU or lesser provessor and get a know brand PSU.  IMHO

TD

Oh no, I don't disagree with you.  My 'examples' were to point out that both systems could be built within his budget.. not necessarily to tell him EXACTLY what he should buy.  I noticed the Rosewill thrown in with a combo deal with the specific case he wanted (and found many favorable reviews on that Rosewill power supply claiming that specific one is a rebranded ABS brand for what that's worth) and just worked it in.  Personally, I'd be looking for a Seasonic or a Corsair-branded Seasonic power supply (NOTE: The new Corsair power supply models ARE NOT Seasonics).

Obviously I would expect ANYONE to do their research before blindly purchasing a hardware list given to them over the internet...

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
^ What he said.  I wouldn't touch that Rosewill PSU if it was given to me free.

Not to be rude, but exactly why is this?

Do you personally have any bad experiences with the Rosewill brand?  If so, how about elaborating.
Do you know anyone who personally have had any bad experience with the Rosewill brand?  Again, if so lets hear about it.
Or are you basing this judgment on hearsay and nothing else?

Now I'm not necessarily defending that brand, as I have zero experience with anything under that brand name (although am building a new system in the very near future with a Rosewill Case LOL... and a Seasonic P/S) but I also believe in not badmouthing someone unless I have really good reason to do so.

From what I understand, Rosewill does not make their own products.. rather they simply have their name put on other brands.  Under that guise, one model of Rosewill Power Supply may be complete garbage, while another might be of extremely good quality.  It takes some research to learn which is which, but to make a blanket statement like that in my opinion is nothing more than pure ignorance...

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
I also would stick with the e8400. Im using one also, and slightly overclocked.
THe mobo should be upward compatibale for the I series also.

I know my mobo is expandable. But I should see several years with the setup I did.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »

Do you personally have any bad experiences with the Rosewill brand?  If so, how about elaborating.
Do you know anyone who personally have had any bad experience with the Rosewill brand?  Again, if so lets hear about it.

Now I'm not necessarily defending that brand, as I have zero experience with anything under that brand name (although am building a new system in the very near future with a Rosewill Case LOL... and a Seasonic P/S) but I also believe in not badmouthing someone unless I have really good reason to do so.

From what I understand, Rosewill does not make their own products.. rather they simply have their name put on other brands.  Under that guise, one model of Rosewill Power Supply may be complete garbage, while another might be of extremely good quality.  It takes some research to learn which is which, but to make a blanket statement like that in my opinion is nothing more than pure ignorance...
I got a bad PSU from them one time, was a 500w...I like to stick to brands known for quality.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »
looks real good tigger..what about this VC????

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102881

better than the one in your post? There was one that was 2 gb...but it is out of stock right now...

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
Is the mobo upward compatable for I series?

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »

I know my mobo is expandable. But I should see several years with the setup I did.

Um... I don't think any socket 775 motherboard is going to be i series compatible... it's just a completely different socket!  It's one or the other

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »

E8400 is LGA775, I7 is 1136.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
I got a bad PSU from them one time, was a 500w...I like to stick to brands known for quality.

Oh don't get me wrong.. I do too!  I've had very good luck with Seasonic and Corsair power supplies.  I've also had some very BAD luck with generic brands, and as a result I would have to highly recommend reading all of the comments about a particular power supply, ESPECIALLY those from people who have had theirs for a longer period of time.  The biggest issue with power supplies is longevity, and someone who plugged it in and it works, and then immediately posts about how UBER their power supply is shouldn't be taken seriously.

BUT to make a blanket statement such as "I wouldn't touch it if it were given to me" with no further explanation as to why I think is downright ridiculous.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »
i didnt think so on the upward compatability.

Offline delta7

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »
Have 2 computers w corsair power supplies, tx750 and a ax850. Both running i7's, one with gtx 260 other with gtx 470 gpu.

Both have worked flawless from day one.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »
Um... I don't think any socket 775 motherboard is going to be i series compatible... it's just a completely different socket!  It's one or the other

not even the "I" cpus are compatible with each others. looks like the i5, i3 and some i7's are lga 1156.  higher end i7's are lga1366. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »

Do you personally have any bad experiences with the Rosewill brand?  If so, how about elaborating.
Do you know anyone who personally have had any bad experience with the Rosewill brand?  Again, if so lets hear about it.

From what I understand, Rosewill does not make their own products.. rather they simply have their name put on other brands.  Under that guise, one model of Rosewill Power Supply may be complete garbage, while another might be of extremely good quality.  It takes some research to learn which is which, but to make a blanket statement like that in my opinion is nothing more than pure ignorance...

Rosewill is newegg's house brand that, in their own words "is dedicated to our mission to compete and win on price, quality, and service."  Notice that winning on price is listed first in their mission statement.  This is not random.  They do not build anything, they simply rebrand other manufacturer's products.  That means that you don't really know what your buying, what quality standards it's built to nor how those standards are tested or how accurate performance claims are.  It seems unlikely to me that you could research those things to find a conclusive answer.

No, I don't and have never had a Rosewill PSU but when I'm spending my hard earned money on such a critical and generally costly system component I want to know exactly what I'm buying.  That's just me and why I said I wouldn't touch it.  You may be more inclined to risk taking then me.

Not to be rude or anything but feel free to buy in ignorance.

I do have some experience with non-critical Rosewill products like my laptop external drive enclosure but that only cost me $10 so I was willing to take a chance on it.  While it works fine it's design could have been much better.  Given that I wouldn't place trust in them for a PSU.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:47:15 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »
I have bought a few Rosewill items and I wont make that mistake again.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.