Author Topic: Question for the seasoned duelers.  (Read 811 times)

Offline PouBoy

• Zinc Member
Question for the seasoned duelers.
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:50:29 PM »
As you may know, I recently got back to AH after a year or so hiatus. I spent an entire afternoon dueling lengro, and a few duels against nrshida. Here's the skinny.

I'm finding that if I can get an early shot, I can win. However, if the fight lasts too long I seem to slowly lose my "skill" and thusly, lose the fight. We were dueling in spit 5's (my favorite 1v1 plane) and would dump 20mm to make the fights last longer, and it seems like every fight I get a shot early in the fight but when you're only shooting BB's you can't knock 'em outta the sky in one quick burst.

So, my question is anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? If any of you would like to duel me, I should be free the rest of the day. All help appreciated.

Regards,
PouBoy

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Question for the seasoned duelers.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
Is it a case of blowing your E early to get a quick shot?  Often this can be done but, at the expense of if you miss or don't hit them hard enough you are now in a lesser E state then they are, and now often forced on the defensive.

:salute
BigRat

When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline PouBoy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
Is it a case of blowing your E early to get a quick shot?  Often this can be done but, at the expense of if you miss or don't hit them hard enough you are now in a lesser E state then they are, and now often forced on the defensive.

:salute
BigRat

It doesn't seem to be. Kind of hard to explain, it just seems like I run out of steam after I either hit or miss that first shot. Here's a film to critique, I think I lost this fight but maybe it can explain it better. http://death.innomi.com/uploads/film2.ahf lemme know if that link doesn't work.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
Energy wins every fight bar a snapshot.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »
Just watched the fight, lengro augered but he had won the fight, got your 6 with you slow. Dunno how long you've been away but they did change the boost (I think?) on the Spit 5 which nerfed it from what it used to be. From what I can see you cutting a lot of throttle and constantly trying to pull for a shot rather than trying to get your opponent's 6 and then shoot like lengro did. You blew all your E play the film back slow and watch the speed differences as you turn.

Offline PouBoy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »
Just watched the fight, lengro augered but he had won the fight, got your 6 with you slow. Dunno how long you've been away but they did change the boost (I think?) on the Spit 5 which nerfed it from what it used to be. From what I can see you cutting a lot of throttle and constantly trying to pull for a shot rather than trying to get your opponent's 6 and then shoot like lengro did. You blew all your E play the film back slow and watch the speed differences as you turn.
Yeah, it's been at least a year. Longer than that since I was even remotely good at dueling. Thanks for the info, i'll make a note of that next time. I agree I am overly aggressive, and I'm still tweaking/learning the new joystick and different buttons so that doesn't help.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
It's just a part of the process. I'm going through the same relearning after being gone 18months. The longer the fight is, the more your decisions effect it.  And I'm talking all of the little minute decisions such as throttle and rudder adjustments. It's about getting those cobwebs out and relearning the timing of the song and dance.
-AoM-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Just keep practicing. Seriously, often its about muscle memory, and just a little too much or to little throttle can make or break the fight. do you find yourself just over rolling it or loosing control when its slow?
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I get the same problem if I dont fly for a while and then come back.  My two biggest mistakes are always wasting too much E and flopping about trying to regain possition, or, keeping too much E and essentaily running away upwards. Usualy takes a few hours or even weeks to retrain myself to manage speed appropirately. I think if you just spend a week dueling 1 on 1 you will be sorted.

S!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.