Author Topic: SBLIVE and CUV4X/Via Chipset  (Read 829 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
SBLIVE and CUV4X/Via Chipset
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
I don't have time to read all of the above replies, so this may have been said already:

You MUST reserve IRQ 5 (or whatever IRQ you want it to use, it will like 5 best) in the bios for "legacy devices."  If you do this it should work fine.

I should also mention that the early SB Live! Values were machined improperly and their PCI connector is about 1mm too short, and thus sometimes can pop out of the pci slot when the system is warming up if you tighten the screw too much!  :eek:

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2001, 08:33:00 AM »
Hi Wotan - I'm very sorry to hear about your problem with the Jive card. (Actually, to be fair, the via chipset shares the blame I think)

I suggest that when you are fiddling with this thing, install (or attempt to install) only the basic driver, not all the other crap that comes with the card. Try to completely purge all vestiges of this driver when uninstalling, before another install attempt. Get the latest bios for your mobo, as well as all updated 4-in-1's and everything else.

I tried absolutly everything over the space of a year, scouring the web for info, but absolutely nothing worked, including tech support. I still have this damnable thing sitting in a box in my desk, unused.

I got a Phillips Accoustic Edge, which I'm very happy with. The card works in any slot you care to put it in, and it would probably work if you put it in upside down and backwards. It's a pleasure. Sound is outstanding, except for the headphone analog out is not the best, although the average listener probably wouldn't notice. Actually, I use digital out to a DAC to an Airhead headphone amp, to Grado 125 headphones. I really enjoy the AE card.

I ran the Accoustic Edge in the ASUS CUV4X for some time without any hint of a problem. I've since given the ASUS CUV4X to my daughter, set to use the on-board sound. I installed the Accoustic Edge in my new Shuttle AK31 mobo with Via chipset 266-A. Works perfectly...  G'luck Wotan

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2001, 10:32:00 PM »
With the latest 4in1 VIA drivers, SB lives never had a problem for me.

I worked at PCsForEveryone (www.pcsforeveryone.com) last summer in Boston and the CUV4X/Sblive was a very popular combo custom.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2001, 05:29:00 AM »
thanx moose

i dunno whats up unistalled sb live cleaned registry of everything related to it reinstalled without the sb16 dos stuff its on its own irq (5) its in slot three I reinstalled dx 8.1

I went to everygame and set them not to run dx sound

I switched speakers to make sure it wasn't caused by that.

Yet I still get stutters and popping in certain games.

Its more of an annoyance then anything.

Anyway gonna pick up a different sound card.

I was gonna wait till january when I build a new system but wtf I cant stand the noise  :)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Hmm, I have an SB Live OEM, never had problems on my P3V4X (4in1 VIA). Until I went to XP, then everything except OFP is fine, for some bizzare reason OFP has wierd crackling and distortion. Under Win 98 it was fine.

I know I've got an AWE64 stashed somewhere, gonna dig that out soon :-)

Offline Cyan

• Zinc Member
      • http://NA
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »
Here is  a little tip I used when I use to upgrade systems...(back in the day prior to dispossible computers).

Pull the battery off the MB (forcing it to reset).  If it is a soldered on battery...have no fear.  Download a BIOS update (even if it is the same one) and reset your BIOS that way.

From their install your eq in this order.

Video
Sound

Then Boot and install drivers...Next

Nic/Modem

Then Boot and install drivers...Next

Any additional controller cards etc...always one at a time then boot.

When you find you have an issue, you know where it resides this way.

ALSO...DO DELETE Autoexec and Config sys...not necessary unless your really in the stone age.

If this doesnt work...NOTHING WILL  ;)

Cheers!