Author Topic: New HD  (Read 356 times)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
New HD
« on: November 01, 2001, 10:42:00 PM »
It seems my hd may be on it's way out and I'm getting a replacement from the manufacturer.  If I install both drives at the same time is there a way to simply copy my current drive to the new drive or do I have to do another complete install?  If I simply copy, do I have to format the new drive prior to the copy or will the copy do that?  Is there a way to format the new drive in fat32 without installing windows on it?

Thanx,
CRASH

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
New HD
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 04:30:00 AM »
The easiest way is to use Norton Ghost. It copies the whole drives W/O any problems, even if the drives have different size. If you have NT/2000 - it's probably the only way to copy your system without shamanic dances. If you have "dynamic drives" in your system - the easyest way is to mount the new drive as a mirror for your old one, but it works only in 2000 Server, 2000 Pro can't make mirrored volumes.

If you have Win9x or ME - simpy copy all your files in Explorer, but exit ALL programs before doing it (MSIE, ICQ, etc), and copy the windows system folder SEPARATLY, selecting all files inside it, but deselecting win386.swp file.

Or just install FAR manager (a perfect clone of Norton Commander for Win32), and copy all the files onto a new drive, skipping files that cause "sharing violation".

Don't format the old drive before you'll be 100% sure that the system on the new drive works OK.

If you are not familiar with disk patitioning tools (fdisk) - I suggest you to use Norton Ghost. You'll escape all the problems and "surprises".

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
New HD
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
I'm running win 98.  I guess I can just use explorer to copy the files to the new drive like you said but 1.  Doesn't the new drive need to be formatted before I do that, and can I use explorer to do that runnin from the old drive?  2. When I do copy, what about the files that are in use just running windows on the drive I'm copying?  Should I do it from dos?

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
New HD
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
If you're on a HPT controller, the easiest way is to set it up as a Mirror.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
New HD
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
СRASH, if you don't know how to partition and format the new drive - find Norton Ghost and simply copy the entire disk.

Ghost usually is on the CDs that come with mother boards.

Offline band

• Zinc Member
New HD
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2001, 07:07:00 PM »
Most hardrive manufacturers have a utility that comes with the drive that does exactly what you are trying to do. If you buy an oem drive that doesn't come with the utility you can download it from their website. Maxtor has Maxblast, IBM has Diskmanager, Western Digital has EZ-Install.