Author Topic: malware / spyware software  (Read 770 times)

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
malware / spyware software
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »
 I am looking for opinions on which spyware software seems to work the best. Seems Webroot and Stopzilla are highly recommended from couple websights I looked at.
 I was using the free Malwarebytes but I did a scan with with a different product and found  the software is not as efficient as I want.

Any comments?
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: malware / spyware software
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
you need to be extremely careful about "TESTING" maleware and spyware programs. alot of them create the very issues that they alledge to cure.

maleware bytes is one of the best products out there, but do not install it and leave it on your computer. it works best if it is installed, updated used and then uninstalled. this way it can never be corrupted by any virus or bug that you catch.

i am very leary about trusting other programs from those that i have used for a long time, i have heard of way too many horror stories about people using the free test and winding up having to reinstall the OS after a clean format trying to get rid of the free test program.

i use threatfire and MSS and once a month or if i have strange issues or reason to believe i might have opened the wrong program i will do a safe boot with networking and install and run malewarebytes. if it finds anything i do what it suggests to remove the issue. then still in safe mode i uninstall both threatfire and mss (in case their base programs were infected) then reboot, again into safe mode, and reinstall them both.

seams like alot of effort, but compared to loosing everything on my comp its nothing.

good luck let us know if you find a good program out there
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
malwarebytes.org .. 24.95 for a lifetime license

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »
malwarebytes.org .. 24.95 for a lifetime license

you can download and use the free version. the free version is identicle to the paid version except it doesnt update automatically you have to do it manually.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »
 I am trying counter spy now and going to try some others.
 At one time opening a web sight I ran into the fake alert virus web alert. I hit cntrl,alt,delete and stop the process of the websight as fast as I could.Just in case I checked with malwarebytes and found nothing.  Out of curiousity I used another spyware software and found the fake alert had put code in my registry.
 I have to agree Flotsom, the best way would be to check for spyware would be to use safe mode.
 I m just going to try and test drive some spyware software and see how they compare.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 12:16:21 AM »
you can download and use the free version. the free version is identicle to the paid version except it doesnt update automatically you have to do it manually.

it runs 24/7 in the background and provides protection preventing infections.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »
Kaspersky, it will destroy any virus, malware, spyware, rootkit, anything. It doesn't leave a huge footprint on the computer and is easy to completely remove from the computer. It updates very fast and is a very effective product. There is a free scan from it online and the scan is pain-free, no imprints or buggy components after it's use.

Bottom line, Kaspersky.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »
 Kaspersky doesn't there is no 100% protection against anything. i have seen many machines with  Kaspersky infected. i have also seen  Kaspersky mess up alot of computers.

from a review http://www.antivirusware.com/kaspersky/antivirus/

It was disappointing to see that the Kaspersky virus definition database was still two and a half months out of date about half an hour after installation. Why this wasn't updated immediately after install is a mystery. In general, Kaspersky only updates itself an average of 6.7 times per day - far less than the industry leader, Norton AntiVirus, which clocks an average of over 200 updates over the same period.

For the last 2 years we've seen each successive version of Kaspersky get slightly worse than its predecessor. Kaspersky AntiVirus 2011 continues this trend as this year's version has some major Performance issues that our Antivirus Testing found. Kaspersky is a shadow of its former self when it was one of the best performing Antivirus programs on the market just 5 years ago - now it's near the bottom. If Kaspersky doesn't address these issues soon, we may actually stop recommending it. But Kaspersky still has some of the best protection against Viruses & Malware, so if you have a good enough computer that can handle Kaspersky's performance shortcomings then carry on with Kaspersky. Otherwise, read our other Antivirus Software Reviews for a less obtrusive alternative.

as far as malware protection malwarebytes coupled with a good free antivirus (AVG.avast. MSE) does fairly well

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
Norton is horrible for playing the game. As long as the anti-virus is updated, it will be fine. Norton updates so many times a day and slows down your computer, your internet, and hinders your ability to play AHII. Same with McAfee and AVG.

Kaspersky is ideal for the gamer. If you are just using a computer for business, go crazy, I couldn't really care, but Kaspersy is still one of the best in my book and is still less of a hassle than the big-name brands. I've never used AVAST but I've heard it is very good for gamers.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:54 AM »
I've been using ESET NOD32 for a few years now. Uses very few resources and the geeks all give it 2 thumbs up.

Offline delta7

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
AVG's update yesterday crashed alot of windows7 64 bit computers, Including mine. (wouldn't load windows7)
I won't use it ever again.
I have swiched to avast.

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
woohoo maybe the shop will pick up some business!